The Moment of Truth 3/19 **Spoiler**

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by That Don Guy, Mar 20, 2008.

1. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA

Advertisements

Another victim of Question 16, but this time, it wasn't nearly as much a "judgment call" (the "Do you consider yourself" type of question) as it has been in the past. She looked shocked when she was told her answer was a lie. Still, I find it highly "coincidental" that everybody seems to miss #16.

I'm surprised nobody has come up with the idea for a new show: have losing contestants from this show take additional polygraph tests to see how many examiners think their "wrong answer" really was a lie. Then again, it wouldn't surprise me if there was something in the contestant consent/release form that forbids them from taking any further polygraph tests for a certain period of time.

-- Don

2. jrinck

jrinck Certified Neurotic

Nov 23, 2004
    This show is worse than "millionaire" with all the time wasting banter and frequent commercial breaks. I DVR it, of course, and got through it in about ten minutes.

And it's, basically, just the same show each week with different faces.

So sad--some much potential--so little realized.

3. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    Was that girl's Mom really THAT in the dark? I have a feeling she was somewhat devastated by some of what she was hearing.

4. laststarfighter

laststarfighter New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    what was the question?

5. jrinck

Nov 23, 2004

Advertisements

"Would you be upset if you looked like your mom when you are her age?"

She answered "Yes".

6. Aniketos

Aniketos Active Member

Mar 6, 2006
    I still wish they filmed the car ride home.

7. jrinck

Nov 23, 2004
    "So you don't want to look like me when you're my age? Well, I curse you to be twice as heavy and smell three times as bad!"

"Yeah, and who did you sleep with to get ahead? At least when I cheated on you it was just for fun! Besides, I got tired of hearing 'Do I have to?' every single time!"

"And you don't trust me with your boyfriend? Like you think I want him! Just because he's the best YOU can get doesn't mean the rest of use are desperate tramps! Puh-lease!"

"So you really regret breaking up with me? Cool! But if you're gonna end up looking like mom, I sure as heck DON'T regret breaking up with YOU!"

8. MitchO

MitchO Blasphemer: Uses DVR

Nov 7, 2003
    Lyndhurst NJ
    Wait.

So this show determined she would NOT be upset, and therefore she's done, you get nothing, I said good day sir?!

Yet more proof that this show is completely arbitrary.

9. Aniketos

Aniketos Active Member

Mar 6, 2006
    No she got nailed on "Have you ever slept with someone to further your career"

10. trnsfrguy

trnsfrguy Advanced !

Apr 28, 2005
    Bronx, NY
    Just finished watching it and indeed it was this question that tripped her up.

11. retrodog

retrodog King Button Pusher

Feb 7, 2002
    At the gun...
    No, it was worded differently than that. "Have you ever had sexual relations with someone to further your career?"

Some would say that those are both the same thing but I think "slept with" means actual intercourse while "sexual relations" opens the door to a friendly handy or BJ. I think it was their intention to have all of these things included so as to make it difficult to deny. Or at least put enough doubt in the contestant's mind as to make them give an "open to interpretation" answer. Any amount of doubt can cause a false-false in the right conditions.

The show is a bit of a sham. I'd be interested in finding out if the polygraph interpretors are bonded, qualified, and unbiased in their determinations. It would just be so easy to screw the contestant (figuratively).

Until they spend some time showing how the polygraph work is all on the up-n-up, it's just a BS show. I also find the surprised looks of the contestants to be acting since they already heard all the questions during the polygraph.

12. Aniketos

Aniketos Active Member

Mar 6, 2006
    See the thing is, I don't care. For all I know the producers go, ok let's wrap this show up...FALSE. And I still wouldn't care. This show satisfies all the evil inside me :) I don't feel bad for these people because I feel like this show is just karma. You go on television to win money and ruin your family, then by god a family better be ruined by the end of it!

13. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    LOL! You're so evil. The perfect target demographic for this show.

Yes, i watched it too.

Mwah-ha-ha-hahhh! :D

14. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    That explanation sounds familiar, Mr. Clinton...

15. Aniketos

Aniketos Active Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Oh I know what I am. My friends watch Deal or no Deal and I did the same with that before this show came on.

I hope they lose it all, I hope a family member tells them a case and it has a million, marriages just don't end as much on that show.

16. wendiness1

wendiness1 WiiMomma

Jul 29, 2005
    Idunno
    I don't think I've seen every episode but of the ones I've seen, the contestants look so sincerely, truly, and totally startled when they're revealed as "deceitful", I have to believe there's something fishy going on with the polygraph interpretations.

I'm hoping one will leap out of their seat and adamantly scream "it was true!". Instead, they look totally defeated in an "I have signed a contract and I'm screwe" sort of way.

17. retrodog

retrodog King Button Pusher

Feb 7, 2002
    At the gun...
    There's no one to feel sorry for. They are doing it for money and fame so screw'em. :D

18. Weaselboy

Weaselboy New Member

May 1, 2005
    I know a little about the use of the polygraph and that question about "sexual relations" is a poor question to use as a flat yes/no question. The polygraph measures the body's response to questions. So, for example, if she had perhaps once gone on a date and let a guy give her a kiss, thinking to deny him would harm her career she may have some guilt over doing that and the polygraph would pick up on her reaction. This does not mean she had sexual relations with him, but would provoke a reaction none the less.

A good polygraph examiner would go over the questions in advance of the poly, and discuss any issues like this to avoid unintended reactions during the test.

It appears to me the questions people are getting tripped up on are questions like this that are intentionally broad.

19. NJChris

NJChris Kermie Loves Elmo TCF Club

May 11, 2001
    Huntington...
    This show is just like a glitzy Jerry Springer..... and with prettier actors.