The Middleman

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Rob Helmerichs, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I'm re-watching The Middleman on DVD, and have decided it is the best show in the history of the universe. In its own special way.

That's all. Back to the TV now.

2. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I absolutely loved this show. It was so much fun. Shame it didn't get the audience it deserved. I was contemplating re-watching this show again and just never got around to it.

3. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Don't.

It's like crack.

Just say "No!" to Middleman!

4. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    That Natalie Morales is so cute too. Shame they cut her out of White Collar after a season or two.

5. stark

stark Member

Dec 31, 2003
    Eden...
    Natalie was on a couple of the BBCA Dr. Who specials. Knowing that she is also a Dr. Who fan makes her even sexier.

6. Dago Red

Dago Red Active Member TCF Club

Oct 22, 2002
    Parsippany, NJ
    And after you've finished watching the DVD's, don't forget to grab a copy of the graphic novel "The Middleman: The Doomsday Armageddon Apocalypse", which completes the series by "answering all the burning questions, and questioning all the burning answers."

I was fortunate to see the cast read through of this episode at Comic-Con two years ago and was hooked on the series. I still don't understand why ABC Family gave up on this one.

DR.

7. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Been there, done that. As well as the comic book series the show was based on in the first place. I was a fan of the comic before the show ever aired, although the show was better.

Of course, the comic book the show was based on was based on the show that Javier Grillo-Marxuach tried to make but couldn't get on the air many, many years ago. So he did it as a comic book instead. Then he was a writer on Lost, and that gave him the connections to finally get the show made.

Two of the three original graphic novels became episodes of the show. Oddly, the third never did. Maybe he was saving that for Season 2, or maybe it would have been too expensive (it was a James Bond-style epic that involved giant sentient sharks)...

8. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Just got the DVDs a few days ago. Loved re-watching the series...

9. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I don't think I've ever heard of this show. Maybe I once did but it certainly isn't ringing any bells now.

10. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    It's a campy super hero show in the vein of Warehouse 13 and the Adam West Batman. Totally fun and a bit over the top. Worth checking out if you get the chance (not sure if it's on Netflix or any other streamer).

11. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    Fantastic show but I don't know where you can find it today other than torrents. It's not on Hulu, Amazon or Netflix for streaming.

12. Ereth

Ereth Unemployed Bum

Jun 16, 2000
    Jacksonville...
    I love The Middleman.

She was a guest on "The Newsroom" and when she came on screen I almost yelled "Dub Dub!" Was sorry she didn't have more of a role there.

I'm certain it would be impossible to get the cast back together to continue, but this one is just barely below "Firefly" on my list of "Wish they could reunite and do more episodes" shows.

13. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Why? I don't believe any of the main characters have full-time gigs (unlike Mal's job on Castle, Zoë's on Suits, Inara's on Homeland...etc)

14. Ereth

Ereth Unemployed Bum

Jun 16, 2000
    Jacksonville...
    Time. You can't really put lightning back in the bottle. As time moves on, the world changes and the people change and the reality of re-creating that magic gets harder and harder. It's not just the cast, it's the writers and show runners and crew.

We'll see if "Arrested Development" can pull it off, but usually reunions like this don't really work.

15. Dago Red

Dago Red Active Member TCF Club

Oct 22, 2002
    Parsippany, NJ
    The DVD set is still available on Amazon...