The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel Season 3 *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Graymalkin, Dec 7, 2019.

1. Dec 7, 2019 #1 of 67
    Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    Just binged all the way through Season 3 of "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel." Eight episodes this season.

They went over the top a few times. No, more than a few times. But I still enjoyed it all.

No spoilers in this OP, but but I added the warning so that follow-up posts have the option.

BTW, there's a brief scene where New York's 1010 WINS radio station can be heard playing music. That may come as a surprise to most people because it has been an all-news station for more than half a century. But it was a Top 40 music station until 1965, and the show's third season is set in 1960. So there's that.

Steveknj likes this.
  2. Dec 8, 2019 #2 of 67
    Howie

Howie Out of Pocket TCF Club

May 3, 2004
    San Antonio
    Dang, I haven't watched all of S2 yet. Most of it, in fact.

3. Dec 8, 2019 #3 of 67
    Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    I won't give away any spoilers, but I am through episode 4 of season 3 and I think I have laughed more this season than in the previous 2 combined! Season 3 is a laugh riot!

4. Dec 8, 2019 #4 of 67
    Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    I've only just begun, but really enjoyed the opening show; just imagining the grandeur (and cost) of it, with the size of the cast--wow! (It also brought a tear to my eye, just the spirit of it and the context of it/the nation.)

5. Dec 8, 2019 #5 of 67
    Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    I don’t think this is much of a spoiler, but we have Mary Ann Mobley (Miss America 1959) in the first episode and Moms Mabley in the last episode. The similarity in their names seems kind of intentional.

6. Dec 8, 2019 #6 of 67
    Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    Another side note: The two young tap dancers in the final episode (at the Apollo Theater) are supposed to be Maurice and Gregory Hines, according to the credits.

7. Dec 9, 2019 #7 of 67
    hummingbird_206

hummingbird_206 Retired

Aug 22, 2007
    Valley of...
    I watched the season this weekend. There were parts I loved (Midge, Susie, the usual cast of characters) and parts I hated (way too much music and dancing throughout). I feel like content and time wise that there were only 5-6 episodes of story with the other 2-3 episodes being music and dancing filler. What there was of story though, I really enjoyed, just wish there had been more story and less filler. YMMV.

Rose's visit to her family was entertaining. Providence wasn't the Providence I was expecting her to visit! The family jokes about Abe and the stairs got old fast, which I'm sure is how Rose felt so we got to share her pain.

Joel's secretary made a great bouncer.

8. Dec 9, 2019 #8 of 67
    Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    !Texas
    I don’t think Midge realized what she was doing to Shy Baldwin in her performance at the Apollo.
    I have to wonder if Shy fired her or if it was all Reggie.

9. hummingbird_206

hummingbird_206 Retired

Aug 22, 2007
    Valley of...
    One of the things that makes Midge so funny is she has no filter when she's performing. As soon as she went down that path I figured there would be repercussions. I think if it was Reggie doing the firing that Reggie would have said so. And if Shy hadn't wanted her fired then she wouldn't have been fired. So I think it was Shy.

10. photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    I'm just finished with episode 5 and I agree about too much singing/dancing. I found myself forwarding through a lot of it this episode. Also on a superficial note, why hasn't she jumped Lenny Bruce already? Dude is fire.

11. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    :p

12. photoshopgrl

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    Your reply made me think it was yet to happen. Joke was on me when I finished the season and he never even showed back up. :D

I liked it but what was she thinking with that act...... it was clearly over the line talking about chiffon and makeup and judy garland shoes during that era.

MScottC and Mikeguy like this.
  13. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    I just finished the binge tonight. I enjoyed a lot of it but I could done without the Sophie Lennon story. The singing and dancing did not bother me as the production quality is so good on this show.

14. photoshopgrl

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    I guess my main complaint is looking back over the seasons, I feel like we got less of her actually doing the stand up and more of the singing and dancing. I definitely could have done without the Sophie storyline only because it was such a build up with Susie trying to juggle managing both of them, that it seemed to take up space that could have been filled with other characters. I would have also liked more with Benjamin and Midge. I liked their dynamic even if not as a couple.

Don't get me wrong, these are minor complaints. Even the singing/dancing didn't bother me THAT much. I still love the show and wish there was more than 8 episodes, especially since we'll have another year to wait for a new season.

lalouque and hummingbird_206 like this.
  15. hummingbird_206

hummingbird_206 Retired

Aug 22, 2007
    Valley of...
    I agree, I felt like there was less actual story content because of the singing and dancing filler, but I still enjoyed the season. I just wanted more content and less filler.

photoshopgrl likes this.
  16. MScottC

MScottC Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2004
    More content AND more filler would have been nice... 10 episodes would have been a nice round number.

17. dcheesi

dcheesi ...I'm not.

Apr 6, 2001
    MD, USA
    My guess is that Shy got upset and "fired" her, in the same way that he fires the band every other night. Reggie was the one who made it stick.

bbrown9 and hummingbird_206 like this.
  18. mooseAndSquirrel

mooseAndSquirrel Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Whatsamatta U
    On balance I liked this season a lot more than Season 2. Two was weird with the trip to France and the Catskills went on too long.

What I loved:
    • It’s a visual joy to look at; so beautifully styled and artfully filmed (e.g. the overhead shots)
    • Part of that style is the incredible fashions
    • Whoever cast Shy Baldwin did an amazing job; it’s like they found a time machine. What a voice
    • I like how they developed the Joel character; it was great that Midge gave him a shoutout at his club. I like his relationship with May and I like her character.
    • Even the gambling, which initially irked me, had the payoff of Susie telling Joel “because you love her” and a quick resolution with burning the house down.
    • I like the history, as stylized as it may be. I was born in 1958, so it was fun to see some of the issues (e.g. Shy pointing out that they can’t stay at the same hotel as Midge)
    I could happily live without the in-laws situation (and they were in financial trouble, pulling money out of hiding places, but it turns out they live in a mansion in Queens) and I always hated the Sophie Lenin character. The penultimate episode with the radio voice-overs was pretty bad, and it was a very weird lack of transition. The Abe story arc is also bizarre.

I hope it comes back for another season. I could see Midge hitting reset with NY performances at Joel’s club.

19. pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    It's been renewed for another season.

I was actually thinking about that an episode or two before it came up.

20. dcheesi

dcheesi ...I'm not.

Apr 6, 2001
    MD, USA
    Yeah, I was expecting it to come up in Vegas. My understanding is that the hotels there were segregated, at least until Sinatra put his foot down wrt Sammy (not sure what year that was?).