The Mandalorian 1x06 "The Prisoner" 12/13/19

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Rob Helmerichs, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    "He's a former Imperial sharpshooter."

"That's not saying much..."

"I WASN'T A STORM-TROOPER, WISE-ASS!"

:D

BeanMeScot, Balzer, betamax and 2 others like this.
  2. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I thought this episode was pretty great.

3. realityboy

realityboy Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    “Maybe he's a Gungan. Is that why 'Youssa don't wanna show your face?'"

Balzer likes this.
  4. morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    I didn’t recognize Clancy Brown, so I was surprised to see him in the credits, but then once I knew he was in it, I couldn’t not see him.

5. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I didn't recognize him either and also saw his name in the credits. I immediately assumed he must have been the red dude with horns.

6. smak

smak TV MA SLV

Feb 11, 2000
    NoHo, CA USA
    When baby Yoda looked at his hands thinking he exploded the droid, and not Mando, that was hilarious.

Looks like he's not sure of all his force powers yet.

-smak-

BeanMeScot, betamax and Steveknj like this.
  7. dcheesi

dcheesi ...I'm not.

Apr 6, 2001
    MD, USA
    Idunno, something seemed 'off' about this one. Or maybe I'm just grumpy because I need to recalibrate some assumptions. I assumed that he was cool with the a-moral aspect of bounty hunting, up until "the child". But now it seems that he turned to the guild as a more noble/honorable alternative to these guys. Which implies that either guild commissions aren't as morally ambiguous as they seem[1], or that he found some other way of reconciling it. But either way, it messes with the narrative (in my head, at least) of a guy who was strictly a-moral / lawful-neutral in philosophy, until the kid melted his heart[2] and brought out his "light side"...

[1]Though admittedly, this may jibe with the lack of a "puck" for The Child's bounty. I had assumed that it was just to keep the operation secret vs. rivals for the prize, but maybe the Guild or whoever generates those pucks actually has standards? Further extrapolating, perhaps that's why the guild doesn't work on Tatooine anymore? If there's a treaty or something binding the Guild to only take New Republic-authorized commissions for example (Tatooine likely still being Hutt territory)?

[2]"The ability it to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Cute!" :)

I recognized him, though not right away. I think when he finally spoke a bit, I recognized his Kurgan growl ...
    EDIT: Upon re-watch, I think it was probably the laugh...

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    LlamaLarry likes this.
  8. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Well, there's a difference between being part of an organization that performs a legal function with strict rules and a code of conduct, and being an outright criminal...

It seems like he used to be a criminal, "evolved" into a bounty hunter, and has now been forced to backslide.

By the way, interesting that it's not always Pedro Pascal as The Mandalorian (although it's always his voice)...there was at least one episode where he was never on set!

So, Who’s Really Under the Mandalorian’s Helmet?

reddice and dcheesi like this.
  9. dcheesi

dcheesi ...I'm not.

Apr 6, 2001
    MD, USA
    Interesting. Yeah, I guess if you emphasize the "lawful" part, his actions here seem to make sense. He seemed very distressed about the idea of killing that NR guard (more than just rational concern about the mayday beacon, IMHO), and he left everyone for the NR authorities to deal with at the end, one way or another. Since we haven't seen him interact with NR personnel before this, it could fit pretty well. And technically he's not on the run from the law, just the Guild, and for an internal dispute about an extra-legal commission at that. Though of course that makes one wonder why he doesn't just take The Child in to some NR agency?

That article is also interesting. Of course now I'm going to be second-guessing when it's Wayne in the suit, vs. the other guy :) Actually another problem I had with this episode is that it just didn't "feel" like Mando in a few scenes; now I'm wondering if that because they switched doubles for those parts? Probably no way to know.

10. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    I think this ep was ok.

The last three episodes were interchangeable and could have been shown in any order. There is no overarching story.

1. Mando goers on a mission
    2. Baby Yoda is there to the side.
    3. Mando completes mission.
    4. Repeat.

I still like it, but I'm hoping it develops more.

11. realityboy

realityboy Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Only 2 more. I think this is it. Cute baby, cool bounty hunter with a mission each week. Maybe we’ll get a little extra plot in the finale.

dcheesi likes this.
  12. dcheesi

dcheesi ...I'm not.

Apr 6, 2001
    MD, USA
    Yeah, I'm expecting an extra tease about The Child's identity/backstory, but probably not much more than that. The show is designed to be episodic, moreso than most current streaming shows. Partially a throwback, partially the Mouse being cautious about overbuilding their new universe (and after initially overdoing it with the backstory movies [*cough*Solo*cough*]).

realityboy likes this.
  13. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Prior to release there was talk about Giancarlo Esposito playing a major character. I guess he'll be in at most two eps?

14. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I was surprised that Mando didn't kill the three bad guys.

Apparently, droids suck at fighting.

15. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    That gave me one of my biggest laughs in weeks. I love that they’re hanging a lantern on some of these SW fan things.
    After they showed them all in the cell, it made much more sense to me. A) it explains why they didn’t show him killing any of them, and 2. it further establishes his character as a “good guy” who tries to do the right thing unless he simply has no other choice.

But given how Burg was kicking Mando’s ass, I’m really curious how he got all three of them into a single cell without them all ganging up on him. Presumably he knocked them out and then dragged them each in there, but that just seems way too convenient that he’d be able to do that.

16. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I recognized him right away. I saw him and thought he looked familiar and then realized he was the same guy from Emergence and a hundred other shows he's been in.

Obviously they're building up to a reveal about baby Yoda. If not then the whole series isn't going to make much sense.

17. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Everyone is talking about recognizing Clancy Brown. But the one I knew I knew from somewhere and had to look up was Ran. Turns out he was Rob Saperstein in Patriot. Duh!

18. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    And of course the droid was Maurice from IT Crowd!

DevdogAZ likes this.
  19. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    And don't forget Tonks/Osha.

Rob Helmerichs likes this.
  20. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Who was probably the most recognizable of them all...