The Man in the High Castle - Season 2 thread *spoilers* (Amazon)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Saturn_V, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Saturn_V

Saturn_V Now with flavor!

Jun 1, 2007
    Oklahoma...
    Five episodes in, and I'm liking it a little more than season 1. I had doubts since they lost their showrunner- but I like the direction it's headed. Bringing in Stephen Root was a great choice.

It's still great speculative / alternative history fiction, but not much more than that. It's not a House of Cards or Stranger Things by a long shot.

2. Ozzie72

Ozzie72 Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2008
    7 eps in, should finish today...I agree that S02 is a bit better so far than S01.

3. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I would put this up there with Game of Thrones and Westworld among the very best on television.

Bryanmc likes this.
  4. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    I would add House of Cards and maybe Fargo, but this show is excellent and hope there is a Season 3.

5. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Very excellent. Didn't like the sleazy use of episode number 11 and higher, though. :)

6. JohnB1000

JohnB1000 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2004
    I've really struggled through the first episode, coming off the back of Westworld. Not sure I will stick it out, so many higher priorities on my watch list.

7. john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Considering the number of deaths in the last couple episodes, few main characters died. In fact, the only one I can think of is Frank, and even then I did not see his body (was it shown and I missed it?). I suppose Thomas was going to his death, but he was not dead yet.

Joe Blake is such a whiney little brat. I was amazed that it seemed he was not even going to try to do anything until John Smith showed up -- he just whined to his girlfriend, had sex with her, and then seemed to forget that his father was about to kill tens of millions of people in a few hours. And even after John Smith showed up, Joe could not be bothered to show the film to his father until John mentioned Juliana.

I have forgotten most of that subplot from last season about the conspiracy to kill Hitler and the Japanese Crown Prince in order to start a war. Was any of that evidence that John Smith handed over fabricated, or was it all genuine, only missing the leader until John Smith finally discovered that, too?

I also forgot about all those films Hitler had last season, which John Smith saw in the vault this season. Between that and the collection of the man in the high castle, I wonder where they all came from. Are there numerous world-hoppers shuttling films between worlds? Is Trudy a world-hopper? Was the dead body a world-hopping Trudy, or is the live Trudy the world-hopper?

8. RickStrobel

RickStrobel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2000
    Watched only three episodes so far, so I'm trying hard not to read any of the posts above.

Really liked that Smith took out the Dr instead of his son. Maybe there's hope that he will begin to see that the Nazi way isn't all that great. His character has seemed somewhat likable through the first season, and maybe he'll turn out to be like Darth Vader, and repent and join the light side of The Force.

9. JETarpon

JETarpon Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2003
    I just finished. I really enjoyed this season.

The best shows on TV are not on TV.

Martha likes this.
  10. tlc

tlc Active Member

May 29, 2002
    They could always grab versions from the other timelines.

Well, the film wasn't of their timeline.

11. john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Can they? We have seen world-hoppers take objects back with them, but can they take people?

And I wonder if people can only world-hop to another world if their counterpart is dead in the other world. That would bode well for dead characters re-appearing from another world.

12. Ozzie72

Aug 9, 2008
    Interesting theory...and perhaps supported by a line from alt-Juliana to Tagomi about her fearing he'd jumped off the Golden Gate bridge. I had wondered about whether or not we were going to see alt-Tagomi show up at the house and the resulting confusion. If your theory is true, it means we don't have to worry about the "meeting your doppelganger" scenario.

13. JohnB1000

Dec 6, 2004
    I have no given up after episode 3. It's such a boring grind for me and I have so many other shows I want to watch. Reading some online reviews that it only gets worse confirmed it. I was never completely on board with season 1.

14. John Gillespie

John Gillespie Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2016
    Why did they have the Nazis drink so much anyway?

Took me right out of it:D

15. dcheesi

dcheesi ...I'm not.

Apr 6, 2001
    MD, USA
    Wow. Really liked it. It had a lot to say about what makes people do the things they do. Also, this season pulled in one of the major themes of the book ("synchronicity" or whatever you would call it), which was largely absent (or not apparent) in the first season.

The only bummer is that it seems like the show is over at this point. I feel like this is the story they wanted to tell. If there's a Season 3, I'm afraid it will just feel like filler tacked on for the sake of creating more episodes.

On a practical note: I think the questions about Smith's rank and role from the S1 thread are still relevant. If he was a US soldier right up to the bombing of DC, it's hard to see how he could have later become the head of SS operations in the American territories. Certainly someone as paranoid as Hitler would never fully trust a quisling to operate independently without immediate oversight from a German national, especially one that only switched sides after the writing was already on the wall.

16. boywaja

boywaja Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2001
    Northern...
    I too enjoyed this season more than season 1. Hate to say that since I only watched the show cause of the season 1 showrunner.

It was around episodes 3-5 where it caught on with me and I started watching faster than more than just 1 every couple of days.

Wish amazon sorted the bonus clips with their associated show. I didn't see them until I was almost done with the show. I think I would have rather watched them right after each episode. With the subtitles, and numbrer of characters this show requires paying attention. And I dont always do that when I"m watching tv. (too much doing internet at the same time)

17. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I don't think I'd go there at all. From a technical/production standpoint, it's as good as any show on TV, but I found the writing to be very weak. Many episodes were a slog to get through, and I frequently felt like the dialogue sounded far too modern rather than like something from the 60s (even an alt-reality 60s). Other than Juliana and Tagomi, they really haven't given us anyone to care about or root for, and Tagomi barely ever says anything.

Having said that, I felt like the final two episodes really saved the season, as all of the plodding finally led up to something and I liked the way it all played out with John Smith exposing the conspiracy and averting the war. I'm less thrilled about the revelation that Abendsen is basically a puppet master, putting Juliana into places and situations where he has a reasonable certainty of how she'll respond based on all the films he's seen.

I'm still a little confused about all the films, though. I think we can assume they come from alternate realities, but why is Juliana Crane is so many movies from other timelines? Is she an actress in all these other realities? Are they all newsreels and she's some kind of Forrest Gump that is always around when historic things happen? Or are the films not produced like a film as we know it, but instead they're some kind of omnipresent surveillance footage that can show anyone, anywhere, anytime? And why are people world-hopping with films but not any other objects, such as technology, art, books, etc.? Is there something about the world-hopping ability that only allows films to pass through? Given the sheer number of films that Hitler and Abendsen had, there must be dozens or even hundreds of "hoppers" out there collecting films. If so, hopefully S3 goes into more about that.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  18. JohnB1000

Dec 6, 2004
    I find the Julianna actress so full and lacking in personality.

19. Ozzie72

Aug 9, 2008
    At this point I think it's the latter. Some of Abendsen's dialogue from the final scene indicated to me that, based on all of the films he's seen, Juliana is destined to play a pivotal role in events.

20. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I liked S2 much better than S1, which I felt was a little difficult to follow. I had hoped that reading the book afterwards would have helped, but the show only very loosely follows the book. Anyway, the plotlines in S2 were much clearer to follow and I enjoyed it better. I also found that it got better was the season went along. I too think that John Smith is having some misgivings about the whole Nazi thing. We've seen that he was an American solder at one point and we've seen his having issues with the forced euthanasia policy of people with genetic diseases. Granted it's his own son, but I think he's starting to see that these policies are bad. I THINK that he was an ally of Himmler and that's why he was able to ingratiate himself into the hierarchy. It is clear from this season that he's the head Nazi in the US.

I watched the recap clip of episode 10 and it was clear from the writer (or producer, unsure) that they are planning a S3, and it seems it will be more centered on the world hopping.