1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Magicians - SyFy - full season

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by KDeFlane, Dec 29, 2015.

1. KDeFlane

KDeFlane Active Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    SyFy is launching "The Magicians" on January 25th, but last week aired the pilot episode (without commercial interruption, very nice).

I was skeptical at first, feeling like the set-up was too much like a Harry Potter / Hogwarts clone, just with older students. (Putting them in college and grad school age range keeps the actors from morphing mid-season from puberty.) Then by the end they hooked me with a very dark turn of events and some excellent creepy special effects.

I caught the name of Sera Gamble on the opening credits - she was at the helm of at least one season of Supernatural for theCW.

I'm on board now. Anyone with me?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  2. celluloidlout

celluloidlout Member

Jul 26, 2004
    Athens, GA
    I'm a big fan of the trilogy of books the series is based on and despite my skepticism I very much enjoyed the pilot. They toned-down the series' nihilism a good deal, but in truth, I think it was a wise move in attempting to gain a wide audience.

I hope this finds an audience. Quinten and the gang have some incredible adventures in front of them!

3. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I thought the first and third books were great, and the middle one kind of, well, middle-bookish. The pilot looked very impressive. I hope it lasts!

Lev Grossman's (he wrote the books) twin brother, by the way, is Austin Grossman, who wrote the very cool novels Soon I Will Be Invincible (superheroes) and You (gaming). Quite the womb there!

4. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    I thought the first book was interesting until he went into the Narnia-clone world. Totally lost me there, and it just looked like the rest of the story was rooted there too. So I just never finished the trilogy.

The pilot looked interesting though. I probably will continue with it until it loses me like the book did. :)

5. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Active Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I definitely got the feel that this was like Harry Potter, but with a more modern and college-age cast. At least they're not all flying around on broomsticks and waving magic wands so I plan on sticking around to see how it develops.

6. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    A school for magicians is an old theme of fantasy, done many times before Rowling. More blatant is Grossman's send-up of Narnia, which is either an homage to Lewis or a satire; I couldn't decide which. Either way, I loved the three books, and after seeing the first episode I have cautious hopes for this program.

7. KDeFlane

KDeFlane Active Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Silicon Valley
  8. DreadPirateRob

DreadPirateRob Seriously?

Nov 11, 2002
    SoCal
    That's pretty much my take on the books as well. Although I recently re-read books 1 and 2 right before book 3 came out, and I liked it book 2 much better the 2nd time around... when it had something immediately afterward. ;)

Haven't watched the pilot yet, but looking forward to it.

9. Feb 3, 2016 #9 of 86
    markz

markz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    I know nothing about the books, but my wife and I watched the first 3 episodes last night. We really enjoyed it. Though we did keep making comparisons to Harry Potter, like when

The Dean lost his eyes and then got them back, I said "Oh, is he their version of Mad Eye Moony now?"

Or when the main girl (who lost her brother) was telling the main guy what they needed, I included the line "a red headed friend"

I have no idea which series of books came first though. I haven't taken time to check.

10. BrettStah

BrettStah Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    Looks like The Magicians was published in 2009.

11. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Yes, it is very much informed by Harry Potter (and Narnia, and virtually every major fantasy series ever published, but especially HP and Narnia).

12. Frylock

Frylock Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Just West...
    I enjoyed it. In one of the first 2 episodes they made a Harry Potter reference joke, so they at least acknowledge it's similar. I'm ok with it, as long as it keeps being unique like it is.

13. ej42137

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    There were also people that didn't like the Magicians Series books; I was aghast when I discovered that, but eventually I came to accept that there are just some people who like their entertainment simple and unchallenging. If SyFy can continue to keep putting out series like "The Magicians" and "The Expanse", I will forgive it for those stupid wrestling and reality shows.

14. Peter000

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN

Pretentious much?

15. wkearney99

wkearney99 Bill Kearney

Dec 5, 2003
    Bethesda,...
    I think it's a fair point, and pretty accurate. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

16. brettatk

brettatk Thread Killer

Oct 11, 2002
    Smyrna, GA
    After seeing this thread I watched the first three episodes. I found it pretty entertaining and will continue to watch.

17. ej42137

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I take it you didn't like the books?

18. Peter000

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN

I liked them up to the Fillory stuff (when they actually travelled to Fillory).
    The books lost me completely there. Usually I can force myself through a book or series even when I find it mediocre. But the combination of unlikable characters and boring plot drove me away from finishing the series.

It's also insulting when a person blames the reader for not liking a book, when it's the book's "fault" (or by extension the writer). There are a thousand reasons a book may alienate a reader besides being "too complicated."

19. wtherrell

wtherrell Active Member

Dec 23, 2004
    Huntersville...
    I quit. Canceled my One-Pass.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

20. wtherrell

wtherrell Active Member

Dec 23, 2004
    Huntersville...
    How does that stupid signature keep coming back? It's like a cockroach.