The Leftovers. S3E6. "Certified"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by 7thton, May 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. 7thton

7thton No raindrop ever falls in the wrong place

Mar 3, 2005

Advertisements

A flashback reveals the circumstances of the day Laurie joined the Guilty Remnant. In present day, Matt and Laurie assist Nora in a clandestine operation, spying on the two scientist that interviewed her. The next day, after Nora hesitates, Laurie is able to convince her to do her job, and report the group's activities. Laurie heads to Grace's ranch house having been summoned by Michael. Kevin Sr. explains that they've asked Kevin to die, and return to the "afterlife realm", and claim the lyrics from Christopher Sunday to stop the impending destruction of earth. After conferring with John and Grace, Laurie sedates everyone at dinner, awaiting Kevin's return from a journey of contemplation. Laurie and Kevin have a meaningful chat, before bidding each other goodbye. The morning of the anniversary, Laurie goes SCUBA diving, after taking a call from Jill. Based on a prior conversation with Nora about the dangers of diving, it is implied Laurie plans to attempt suicide.

• So, Laurie's dead, huh?
    • What is Matt going to do with Nora? Try to go with her to...where ever?
    • Will Kevin be able to die, get the song from Sunday, and get back in time to stop "the flood?"
    • Why isn't Matt trying to get back for the anniversary day, like he was planning to? How did he come to conclude that he should stay in Australia?

2. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    I think it's impossible to get back to Texas at this point. The anniversary is in less than 36 hours from the point Laurie leaves Matt and Nora, all flights are still grounded, it's a 12 hour boat ride to Tasmania. Matt believed Kevin was needed in Miracle which was the point of the trip.
    Obviously Matt's opinion has changed. Maybe he sees how much his sister Nora needs someone, or has given up on his miracle cure since the boat ride.

3. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I dunno who wrote that recap up on top - it's almost amusing how matter of fact it is compared to what I watched.

I'm so happy they gave Laurie an episode.
    I was a little confused with the time jumps all over the place - so much so, I thought for a second I had missed an episode.
    The revelation of the pregnancy and her suicide attempt were devastating.

Amy Brenneman was pretty amazing in this episode.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  4. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis

Advertisements

The pregnancy was old news...we learned about it in Season 1.

5. 7thton

Mar 3, 2005
    I grabbed it from Wikipedia.

6. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I had no recollection of it, so it was news to me!

The more I have thought about this episode the more I think Laurie's implied suicide is strange.
    If they all think something is going to happen on the anniversary - why not wait and see what it is? I would.

7. swyman18

swyman18 Active Member

Jan 6, 2016
    Honoka'a, HI
    Yeah, I think it was kind clear that Matt changed his mind at the end of the lion/boat episode when the captain said the police would like a statement "assuming he didn't have any pressing business in Melbourne". Matt thought for a moment and said "no, I don't."

8. 7thton

Mar 3, 2005
    I agree, but it isn't entirely clear to me why or how his "mind changed."

I assuming that the tiger killing "god" was a "sign" to Matt that "god" wasn't "god" at all.

But, what does that mean to Matt and how does it influence his behavior?

9. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Lion.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
  10. Fahtrim

Fahtrim Member

Apr 12, 2004
    Missouri
    Old thread but this wasn't answered. When he had that guy "god" tied up he was convinced for a bit he was talking to God. When he said he would cure him and Matt untied him his little "wala you are cured" was the straw that broke the back of Matt's belief in his mission and overall belief in the book of Kevin and all that. The Lion killing that guy was just a cherry on top, but he was done before that.