The Latest Update on Partial File Transfers

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Kuroshio, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Kuroshio

Kuroshio New Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Like many, I have experienced partial file transfers from TiVo DVRs to the PC. I have search in vain for a solution. One solution that was suggested was transfer the file in two pieces - before the point that it stop transferring and after that point - then join the pieces with VideoReDo. However, you cannot determine the point that the TiVo file has a glitch since the file plays fine on the TiVo.

Does anyone know if a solution has been found for this problem? Thanks.

2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Have you checked out KMTTG's solution?

Basically, you download to where it abruptly stops. Activate the Resume feature and download the rest.

It seems more often than not, the 'glitch' occurs during a commercial.

-KP

Mikeguy likes this.
  3. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    That's way cool!

4. MHunter1

MHunter1 TiVo Bug Hunter

Oct 11, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    My procedure when this happens is:

1. Open the first half with VideoReDo
    2. Go to the end to determine the time it cut off
    3. In VideoReDo, play the last few seconds to find the exact cut-off point
    4. Fast-forward the TiVo program to a couple seconds past the cut-off point (usually you'll see a blip of pixelation that caused the glitch)
    5. Open kmttg and tick the Resume function
    6. In kmttg, load your TiVo programs and transfer the second half
    7. Open both halves in VideoReDo and use the Join function to output a single file
    8. When joining files, make sure they are in the correct order (maybe tag the file names with "-1" and "-2" before opening)

kpeters59 likes this.
  5. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Part of the procedure involves pausing the show just past the 'glitch' and then going to TiVo Central or back to Live TV to 'store' the pause point for Resume to locate it.

-KP

6. Kuroshio

Kuroshio New Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Thanks for the helpful responses. However, the file that is transferred is about 170 MB of a 1.6 GB file. The smaller file cannot be opened by VideoReDo and cannot be played by VLC. Windows indicates it is an audio file. So the approached outline will not work. I tried the resume in KTTMG, but the second transfer stops in exactly the same place. The KTTMG encoding profile is set to h264. Is there another encoding profile that might be more successful with the transfer?

7. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    If you're getting Audio only, you're probably transferring an .mp4 file with PS Transfer. Try switching to .ts transfer.

-KP

8. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    This is only a problem with PS transfers. Try TS instead. There is a feature in pyTivo Desktop where you can enable a choice option, so it'll have a little PS and TS link next to each show. So if for some reason one method or the other fails you can just click the other link to get the other type.

Note: PS does not work with H.264 videos and there is no information at all the TiVo provides about the codec prior to downloading, so if you pick PS and end up with audio only the show likely had H.264 video and you'll have to use TS instead.

9. Kuroshio

Kuroshio New Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Hi,
    Thanks for pointing me to pyTiVo. I was able to transfer the entire file and quickly edit and save in MKV format using VideoReDo. I tried to transfer a file from the TiVo Edge using pyTiVo. This attempt crashes the TiVo Edge. I believe this is know problem with the current version of the software running on the Edge. However, I am able to transfer files to the premiere TiVo from the Edge and download them to my PC. Thanks again for your guidance.

10. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I've heard that they "might" actually be working on a fix for the Edge. But no promises.