The Last Ship "El Toro" (7/20/14) [SPOILERS!]

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by RGM1138, Jul 20, 2014.

1. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS

Advertisements

Okay, I know that they had to go back. And I know that US military personnel are well trained and Jayne's a good street fighter, etc. But, going back with 3 unarmed guys against 13 heavily armed hombres, doesn't make good tactical sense. Go back to the ship, get the spec ops guy and an overwhelming force, return and kick El Guapo's ass!

Of course, then the commander couldn't go all Jim Kirk, disobey the Prime Directive and be the hero. There was some violent stuff in that take down, though.

I was wondering how they were going to solve the dilemma of leaving that scumbag alive. Problem solved!

What's the tag line, "Find the cure, save the world"?

I realize that they're probably shooting the shipboard scenes and B unit stuff first, but still, Michael Bay must be writing a pretty big check to Uncle Sammy for the use of that boat.

2. GameGuru

GameGuru Active Member

Dec 12, 2003
    Dover, OH
    You are missing something even bigger, the CO and the XO both go on a dangerous mission ... oh and let's take the scientist who is working on a cure to save mankind along. They really want their mission to fail I believe.

3. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    It's typical TV. If everyone acted like they would in the real world it would make for a very dull show. Since the Primary actors would be on the ship all the time.

4. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Did they lose the key to the chopper?

5. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...

Advertisements

What would a chopper do in the jungle...err Rain Forest? There is nowhere to land.

6. Vendikarr

Vendikarr New Member

Feb 24, 2004
    I liked how the three officers on the boat wanted to go off mission and take out el toro, while it was the Master Chief, an NCO, trying to be rational and on mission.

I think the Master Chief is my favorite character on this show.

7. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    He's the Bones of the crew.

:D

8. MrGreg

MrGreg New Member

May 2, 2003
    And to push it even further, we're going to put the CO and XO on the same skiff, with the XO manning a machine gun. For fun, I kept a running mental list of "this is BS" items during this episode.

My favorite was when they attacked the compound at night, there were chickens running around. I have chickens. When it gets dark, they go to bed (roost somewhere high). I was yelling at my tv "there wouldn't be chickens out at night". There were obviously much bigger flaws than this, but I found the chickens one funny.

I don't know how long this show will survive, but it may just be bad enough to be good.

9. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    Yes, I believe that the STA*, or the Star Trek Axiom covers that scenario as well.

Also known as the STM* or Star Trek Model.

Or, The Roddenberry Precipe.

10. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    I don't think that the Rodenberry Precipe covers chickens.

11. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    did anyone else feel the infected islanders behaved more like zombies than sick people? they were grouped together, moving slowly, with their arms stretched out...i kept waiting for them to yell "brains!". for some reason, that was a glaring oddity to me (among glaring oddities).

12. Big Deficit

Big Deficit Happy now?

Jul 7, 2003
    I never knew about the 30 mile communication restriction? And I was led to believe that Aegis class destroyers had advanced communication capabilities beyond a set of Motorola walkie talkies?

13. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Well we already know that The Last Ship has been renewed for a second season. With a 30% longer season than the first one. It's ratings have been very good.

14. stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    So without Toro's thugs, how long will it take the sick people to overrun the camp and take them all down?

I thought the idea was that people died pretty quickly from this thing and most of the population were dead or close to it. The crew seems to think that it's a long shot that any of their family is alive---except for the Commander's family in the remote cabin. Were the sick people here just the last to get it because they're in a remote place? I was picturing the cure as being for that maybe 10% who have survived. Am I getting this wrong? Are we going to save everyone?

15. squint

squint New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Anti-narcotics operations in the jungles often use helicopters. They don't necessarily have to land. They can rope down or even drop into the river.

I suppose it's possible due to the terrain but if they had satellite communications it would probably work. They should have just deployed their drone to keep an eye on them.

16. verdugan

verdugan Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Sacramento, CA
    The Aegis class destroyer does, but the little radios that the crew had with them don't. 30 miles with jungle/mountains in between is not a walk in the park.

Now if they only had something like a helicopter that could keep an eye out on the boats from above and relay messages between the ships and boats.

17. vertigo235

vertigo235 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    Yeah I'm sure they do have some sort of drone, didn't they even use it in a previous episode.

18. verdugan

verdugan Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Sacramento, CA
    Good call. I forgot about the drone.

19. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    Well the only main reason they were going back was to save the little girl from being raped by the bad guy. If they went back to the ship to get the other people, it would have been all over!

20. oscarfish

oscarfish Active Member

Mar 1, 2009
    It's official: this is easily the dumbest show of summer 1014 that I'm going to watch every episode of. Probably next summer too. Just for reference, summer 2013 it was Whodunnit?

I thought I had identified the redshirt on the away team when they were on the way in. Obviously I was wrong, this episode didn't have redshirt.