The Last O.G. (Season 1 - Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by nickels, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Apr 5, 2018 #1 of 30
    nickels

nickels opinionated dope

Jan 11, 2010
    Warrington, PA
    I just caught the pilot episode of this on my FireStick. I guess TBS allows cursing now? Like full on cursing, tons of F bombs... Anyway, hilarious new show, especially if you enjoy Tracy Morgan's humor. I was cracking up the whole episode, it is filled to the brim with one liners. They really did a nice job setting up the story in the pilot making me anxious to see what happens next. The interactions between Tracy Morgan and Cedric the Entertainer were my favorite. The show is basically how Tracy's character went to prison for 15 years for selling drugs. He is now out of prison, his old girlfriend is now successful and married to a white guy, and Tracy finds out she had his twins while he was locked up (she was about to tell him before he got busted). His old Brooklyn neighborhood is now gentrified and no longer a ghetto. I hope they continue the momentum into the rest of the season. I am glad to see Tracy is back from his terrible accident. If you were a fan of him on 30 Rock this show is a must!

2. Apr 5, 2018 #2 of 30
    jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    I saw most but not all of the Pilot. Just need to watch the full thing off of the TiVo. For the most part,I liked what I saw. Of course, I like Tracy Morgan. But I know so many people just can't stand the guy

And yes, great to see him in a leading role on his own show. It's a great comeback for him.

3. Apr 5, 2018 #3 of 30
    Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I know The Detour has S Bombs, but don't remember them having F bombs, but maybe. Other basic cable channels allow full on cursing now, USA, FX are two I regularly watch that do. I guess it's accepted now, especially on shows after 10PM Eastern.

4. Apr 5, 2018 #4 of 30
    jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    What I happened to catch live had stuff bleeped.

5. Apr 5, 2018 #5 of 30
    pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    Yeah mine had bleeps. Sometimes Tracy can be too much for me....but I really liked the premier.

6. Apr 5, 2018 #6 of 30
    BrettStah

BrettStah Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    I really liked the pilot episode! I wasn't sure if I would or not... loved him in 30 Rock, but hated a standup comedy special I saw him in (post 30 Rock, pre accident).

7. Apr 5, 2018 #7 of 30
    nickels

nickels opinionated dope

Jan 11, 2010
    Warrington, PA
    I see that the episode is available uncensored on iTunes, so that is probably the version I watched.

8. Apr 6, 2018 #8 of 30
    madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    I loved this. 30 Rock was one of my favorite shows, and he was good but not the best thing about that show. But this really worked for me. I agree his chats with Cedric were the funniest parts. I hope the family stuff doesn't get to be too much and take away from the humor.

9. Apr 6, 2018 #9 of 30
    csell

csell Member

Apr 16, 2007
    Alright, need to ask - what does O.G. stand for. I've googled it but can't find a definitive answer. BTW, loved the pilot.

10. nickels

nickels opinionated dope

Jan 11, 2010
    Warrington, PA
    O.G. = Original Gangster
    Ice T explains it:

jsmeeker likes this.
  11. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Finally watched over the weekend and I liked it. I felt that on 30 Rock a little of Tracy went a long way but too much and it got tiresome. But on here, I thought he was very good. Had a little bit of trouble understanding some of what he was saying between some of the street slang he was using and just kind of the way he mumbles, but got the gist of it. I tend to like fish out of water stories and this was pretty good. I know a lot of neighborhoods in Brooklyn have gotten just like that. When I was a kid you didn't go in those places, now they are all gentrified. But I think it's been happening for longer than 15 years. Maybe not his neighborhood though.

12. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Watched the second episode

Just the opening with him making the dessert loaf made me smile. Fun scene. looked like Tracy was having a bunch of fun.

13. spartanstew

spartanstew Thanks 4 the Update

Feb 23, 2002
    Wylie, Texas
    Not a Tracy Morgan fan. He was fine on 30 rock in small doses, but this was too much for me.

14. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Watched E2 and I'm still in. I knew he would wind up taking a job at a chain (but had no idea that his former drug boss would be running the joint. The "by the rules" manager was scary (and funny) and Tracy taking with the customers was hysterical.

15. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    I did like the 2nd episode but I actually didn't like the dessert loaf joke. To me, it made his cooking a joke which they really tried to play up how good of a cook he is, in Ep1.

16. nickels

nickels opinionated dope

Jan 11, 2010
    Warrington, PA
    The dessert loaf was silly but in the end it did taste fantastic, so it wasn't like they suddenly made him a bad cook. The second episode was funny but not as good as the pilot.

17. super dave

super dave Friend Of The Court

Oct 1, 2002
    Maple Shade, NJ
    I watched them OnDemand, they offer 2 versions, one explicit.

18. series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013
    I cancelled the OG OP after the 2nd episode. Just not enough comedic payoff for the time investment required.

19. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Liked the third episode. Taking is kids around, telling stories.

20. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Me too. It's still making me laugh. I like how the now gentrified baby moma goes all ghetto (is the right word?) when she gets riled up. I think the kids are great and I'm amazed how much the son looks like Tracy, great casting.

pmyers likes this.