The Last Man on Earth S02E03 "Dead Man Walking" 10/11/15

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Zevida, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Zevida

Zevida witless and unarmed TCF Club

Nov 8, 2003
    San Jose, CA

Advertisements

This show is so awesome.

I love Phil's obsession with Carol and kissing her on the beach was great.

Tandy coming in with the gun was so Tandy and the stocks are hilarious. I hope they keep him in there a while.

I miss the Tuscon location a bit, I loved Phil's house there, with all the national and international treasures.

2. loubob57

loubob57 Cancer sucks! TCF Club

Mar 19, 2001
    Bedford, TX
    I loved it when Carol Killed Gordon with the "BOO!". And the funeral just capped that off so well. Especially when Gail starts talking about Gordon and it turns out he was a major *****.

3. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    It's funny how Tandy seems to be relatively normal when he's alone or with Carol, but get him around the others and he can't help but turn into a complete idiot. That gun scene was hilariously awkward.

4. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    Am I the only one who thinks the show is better without the whole "let's find another way for everybody besides Carol to make Phil/Tandy's life a living hell" thing?

5. Zevida

Nov 8, 2003
    San Jose, CA

Advertisements

I kind of agree, if the next several episodes are just going to be a rehash of last season, with Tandy always doing something stupid that makes everyone hate him, then it will get old quick. I did really enjoy the first two episodes when it was just him and Carol. I actually loved the second one when they were separated and we got to see them on their own, I think the show gets really powerful and funny when the characters are isolated.

But damn, Phil is so fine, I do not mind having him back at all. Mmm, mmm, mmmmmmmm.

6. ClutchBrake

ClutchBrake Pass the gravy!

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    I quit watching the after 3-4 episodes of season 1. Wanted to drop in to get folks' thoughts on season 2. Have a question though...

What is the deal with Tandy? Is that his real name and Phil was just a moniker or something? I only ever knew the main character as Phil. Or is Will Forte playing two characters?

7. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    It was because Phil (the real one) wasn't being a complete ******. That was my complaint last year and I don't know if I can keep watching if they make him one again.

8. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    When the Boris Kodjoe character showed up, his name was also Phil Miller. Because Will Forte's character had been being such a ***** and was on the outs with the crew, they decided that he had to use his middle name (Phil Tandy Miller) to avoid confusion.

9. ClutchBrake

ClutchBrake Pass the gravy!

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    Thanks! :)

10. Zevida

Nov 8, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    His middle name isn't actually Tandy (I don't think we know what it is), he just made that up so they wouldn't make him use his middle name, but they still did anyway.

11. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Yeah, the first couple of episodes were promising - that maybe I won't have to watch this show in shame. It was actually a pretty decent show.

But if the rest of them are going to turn it into season one again.... ugh. It was a promising start.

And is that the end of Astronaut Miller?

12. loubob57

loubob57 Cancer sucks! TCF Club

Mar 19, 2001
    Bedford, TX
    I'm anxious to see where that goes.

13. Balzer

Balzer Active Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I almost quit watching this show a few episodes into the the 1st season, because "Tandy" was so unlikable and stupid. But I stuck it out..

The first few episodes of the second season I started to actually like it, until the final scene with the gun.

I am out.. I think. Maybe I'll see what the next episode does first....

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  14. midas

midas I heard that

Jun 1, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    I think the whole Tandy character is kind of a take-off on Michael Scott from The Office (and David Brent before that). We all know that what he's doing is stupid and we're supposed to feel the uncomfortableness.

15. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Except Michael Scott was lovable. David Brent, not so much. A big reason I prefer USA Office is that no one was even likable on British show. A problem this show also has most of the time.

16. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    This, exactly. I like the chemistry between Carol and Tandy. Especially now that Tandy actually likes her for her and she learned to love him too. The others, it reminds me of a high school click where they just choose to hate the awkward guy. They are equally unlikable if not more so than Tandy. I think the show would be much better if he and Carol travel around the country, meeting the odd person or people rather than the same people in a different location and rehash the same stuff. Maybe Tandy's astronaut brother will change the dynamic. Anyone think he's going to lose orbit and land in the Pacific near Malibu (hence the set change)?

17. zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    The awkward guy that lied on many occasions to try and have sex with them, and in some cases considered abandoning them in the desert.

18. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I don't think the setting change was story driven. Probably to get production costs down. Keep it local.

19. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    It already was local -- they shoot in the San Fernando Valley. I don't think there have even been any exterior or background shots that were actually filmed in Tucson. (Even the "Oklahoma" gas station scenes in earlier episodes were clearly the Valley and environs.)

20. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Got it. Thanks.