The last days of Tivo

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by GT3NE1, Dec 27, 2006.

1. GT3NE1

GT3NE1 New Member

Aug 10, 2001
    O.C., CA

Advertisements

We bought our first house and are moving on Jan. 6th. We are also buying an LCD HDTV that same day. Finally upgrading to HDTV. I called DTV yesterday and I am an A-list customer. :rolleyes: Not sure what that gets me though.

I decided to go with the HR20 and retire my beloved, hacked to the gills, DSR704. I looked at Dish Network and also Cox cable, but I just can't give up DTV. I read the forums all day yesterday trying to make a decision, but I'm still uneasy. I would love to get a HR10-250, but I just know as soon as I buy it, DTV will finally get the MPEG4 going.

So, here I am on my last day's of Tivo. :( I just hope the HR20 is worth the $200 plus tax it is costing me.

GT3NE1

2. Billy66

Billy66 Again with shoelaces

Dec 15, 2003
    Tell DTV that you will cancel and go to cable because theri DVR is not $200 and DTV will transfer you to retention and give you the HR20.

3. GT3NE1

GT3NE1 New Member

Aug 10, 2001
    O.C., CA
    Well, that didn't work. :) I told him I was thinking about cancelling, because the cable HD DVR is cheaper and he just told me I would have to find a place to buy an HR10-250

4. Billy66

Dec 15, 2003
    Ah, you see you need to tell him you ARE cancelling and he/she will transfer you to someone with empowerment.

You didn't make it past level one phone monkey.

5. GT3NE1

GT3NE1 New Member

Aug 10, 2001
    O.C., CA

Advertisements

Well, that worked a little better. :) I didn't even have to talk to a level 1 monkey, I just told the automated lady I was going to cancel my service and she connected me directly with someone who could make me a deal.

He asked why I was cancelling and I told him because the cable HD DVR is much cheaper.

He verbally offered me the receiver for free. However, there computer systems are down right no, so he said he is filling out a sheet of paper with the offer, then his manager will call me back when the system is back up. I guess I'll wait to hear back from him and then ask about what receiver I am getting.

Does anyone know if they are actually still giving out the HR10-250s? Maybe they truly are out of them and are making deals on the HR20.

That really sucks how you have to threaten to cancel to get good customer service these days. I've been a DTV customer for, geez, I don't even know anymore. Maybe 7 years or something. I've moved several times, including once across country and they can't even give me a deal when I am moving again and upgrading to HDTV. Geez.

Thanks for the advice billy66.

GT3NE1

6. Billy66

Dec 15, 2003
    No problem. I stopped paying for the right to keep their service a long time ago. We both seem happy with that relationship. :)

7. gio1269

gio1269 "HR20 Army"

Jul 27, 2006
    If you get the right rep, you can get a refurbished HR10-250. A friend just did it last week. Sometimes the install guys will have them, or they show up to put in a HR20 and have some HR-10 on the truck.

Get them to put the 5LNB dish now while thye are at it. You don't need it for the HR10, but you will need it in the future for the HR20

8. GT3NE1

GT3NE1 New Member

Aug 10, 2001
    O.C., CA
    Yep, I've already secured the 5 LNB dish. Still waiting for the call back to see what receiver and to finalize.

9. harley3k

harley3k New Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Yes it does suck, doesn't it?!??! WTF is the point of saying you are an A-list customer? It almost makes you want to really cancel your service! It did me anyway. I'm now on Verizon FIOS and loving it. I'm certain they will p!ss me off too at some point in the future, but at least I don't have to BUY my DVRs and have it only be a 'Lease' or pay an early termination fee when I cancel my service.

-h

10. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    Unfortunately "A-list" is only one aspect, and one that doesn't really make much difference. The aspect that makes the most difference is how much you jump up and down and threaten to leave. The whole concept of a "retention" department is based on them intending to treat their customers unfairly and inequally, right from the start. If you bend over easily for shoddy treatment, that's just fine with them. Only when you begin to complain do they relent and begin to become reasonable. If they treated all of there customers the way they really should, there would be no need for "retention".

11. Billy66

Dec 15, 2003
    Yep. Keep the relationship cordial but adversarial all the time. This is a business relationship, not a friendship.

12. harley3k

harley3k New Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Well said...

And there would be no need to lock people into 2 year contracts.

-h

13. GT3NE1

GT3NE1 New Member

Aug 10, 2001
    O.C., CA
    Okay, this is ridiculous! The guy I talked to yesterday never called me back, so I called back in today and talk to someone else again in customer retention and told them the deal the verbally game me yesterday.

They said okay, but then they said they they would have to reschedule because the original move didn't include the HD DVR? I told them I was looking at the order online and it is on there. She put me on hold for 10 minutes and then hung up.

So, now I am back on hold trying to get back to customer retention. Anyone know the direct number?

14. GT3NE1

GT3NE1 New Member

Aug 10, 2001
    O.C., CA
    I guess I got it straightened out after being on hold forever again. We'll see tomorrow when my work order is updated on their website. Geez!

15. GT3NE1

GT3NE1 New Member

Aug 10, 2001
    O.C., CA
    Well, I finally got upgraded to HDTV and the new HR20-700 yesterday. This was by far the toughest move I have ever experienced with DTV and I thought about canceling several times.

I spent many hours on the phone with them last week and then the installer didn't get to my new house until 6:30pm on Saturday night and then got halfway through the dish install and realized they didn't send him the correct parts for the dish.

I called DTV once again and got rescheduled for yesterday. A different installer came out and said the previous guy did the arm install all wrong. Not enough bolts to secure it. Man, that 5 LNB is HUGE! They fixed it and now I have HDTV on my brand new VIZIO GV42L. I miss Tivo already, but am trying to keep an open mind.

I'm not completely sure I am going to keep it or DTV. I will have to see how well I like the HR20, but I just wanted to say thanks for all the great info I have received from the members of this forum over the years. I will continue to keep my hacked to the gills Philips DSR704 in use, but only has a secondary unit. I will still continue to lurk the forum even more than I did in the past though. :)

Thanks and happy new year!

GT3NE1

16. Billy66

Dec 15, 2003
    Good luck!

17. jediphish

jediphish New Member

Oct 13, 2006
    I have 2 HR-10s in service and an HDVR2. Last week, I got an HR20 installed. I love Tivo, but recoginze the future at D* is elsewhere. I was skeptical about the HR20, but so far it has performed admirably. I like having the option of HD locals via antenna and sat, and I like the Native output. I miss dual buffers. The GUI is less intuitive IMO, but after configuring my Harmony 890 to work as closely as before with Tivo, it's getting easier.

I'm posting my comments to let you know that the Dark Side really isn't so bad. It's not "stronger." It's just "quicker, and more seductive."