The L Word

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Havana Brown, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Jan 23, 2006 #1 of 138
    Havana Brown

Havana Brown Ring Turner

Feb 3, 2005
    Your...

Advertisements

Anyone, anyone? Or are we not allowed to talk about this kind of show? :confused:

I am sooo over Jenny. There's just nothing to her plot line, boooooring! :thumbsdown:

I'm really liking the Shane/hot latina chick plot. Shane looked so awckward in the white dress, but I gotta admit when the hairdresser did up her hair she looked kinda cute.

I used to really dislike Alice and her whiny voice (doesn't she do a yogurt commercial?) but I'm coming around to liking her.

There's been two weeks of the new season and no one's talking about it? :(

2. Jan 23, 2006 #2 of 138
    Dignan

Dignan _

Jan 27, 2002
    _
    I wondered the same thing about no discussion, this show is hot!! My wife and I have been watching since season one and we love it. I thought the first half of last season wasn't very good but it's gotten back on track.

I second the hot Latina, she is smokin'. Shane in the dress with the hair extensions was classic. I do feel sorry for Alice, it seemed like they were really happy last year, but I do kind of like crazy Alice. Not sure how I feel about the teenage boy/girl butch Moira, she's strangely compelling and scary at the same time. I thought for a second they were having a man play a woman and fool the viewers but she is an actress named Daniela.

3. Jan 23, 2006 #3 of 138
    Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    I don't have Showtime so can't watch it.

I watched the first two seasons on DVD via Netflix over the summer and enjoyed it a lot so will hold out until this season is on DVD, too, I suppose.

4. Jan 23, 2006 #4 of 138
    jcondon

jcondon Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2003
    I order Showtime when this series comes on and cancel it after the series is done.

5. Jan 23, 2006 #5 of 138
    jcondon

jcondon Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2003

Advertisements

I almost posted spoilers. Whoops.

6. Jan 23, 2006 #6 of 138
    JohnB1000

JohnB1000 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2004
    Finally a chance to ask my question. I have kind of passively watched the show for the last season and this one, not really paying attention all the time.

Can someone explain what the scene that occurs before the opening credits is, it always features different actors and seems kind of random ?

John

7. Jan 23, 2006 #7 of 138
    Agatha Mystery

Agatha Mystery Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    I've been watching the show. It's been interesting.

As far as the opening scenes, sometimes they have something to do with the plot, but the last 2 haven't seemed to tie in. Maybe they will later on in the season.

Keiram Malicki-Sanchez is such a cute guy. It's interesting to see him work again.

8. Jan 23, 2006 #8 of 138
    jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    Season 3's opening scenes seem to establish the roots of 'The Chart', a big chart of 'who hooked up with who' that Alice created. That's the reason for the lines that connect the women's names towards the end of the opener.

9. Jan 23, 2006 #9 of 138
    Dignan

Dignan _

Jan 27, 2002
    _
    I see the opening scenes as "Lesbian Moments Throughout History", although this season they are charting them. I kind of doubt we will ever see the results ala NUM8ERS, but you never know. They are usually pretty steamy.

10. Jan 24, 2006 #10 of 138
    Havana Brown

Havana Brown Ring Turner

Feb 3, 2005
    Your...
    I heard somewhere that only one of the actresses is gay. Anyone know the scoop? Oh, and I thought when Shane had the hair extensions and the white dress on she looked like Bette!

11. Jan 24, 2006 #11 of 138
    jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    Leisha Hailey (Alice) used to date k.d. lang.

12. Jan 24, 2006 #12 of 138
    Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Leisha Hailey (Alice) is gay.

Back in the first season, Pat Grier was the only main female character who played a character with the same sexual orientation as the actress.

AFAIK:
    Mia Kirshner is straight, Jenny is bi (now lesbian, I guess)
    Leisha Hailey is gay, Alice is bi.
    Jennifer Beals (Bette), Laurel Holloman (Tina), Erin Daniels (Dana), Katherine Moennig (Shane) are all straight.

13. Jan 24, 2006 #13 of 138
    Havana Brown

Havana Brown Ring Turner

Feb 3, 2005
    Your...

Wow! :eek:

14. Jan 24, 2006 #14 of 138
    Agatha Mystery

Agatha Mystery Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    Yeah, I'm kinda surprised by that as well. :D

She showed much more depth as a character in this most recent episode with regards to Jenny and Moira. Emotionally, she's coming around to being a well-rounded person instead of someone who is just having sex with anything that moves.

15. Jan 24, 2006 #15 of 138
    Havana Brown

Havana Brown Ring Turner

Feb 3, 2005
    Your...

Yeah, she's not being a man about it. ;) :D I guess I always pictured her of all the girls to be a real lesbian. I guess she plays the character so well of the butchy stereotype I had. Her character is becoming softer and as you say, well rounded.

Tina is looking good after dropping that baby. Good for her.

16. Jan 24, 2006 #16 of 138
    Satchel

Satchel Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    According to TheLWord.com,

3. Are the actresses in The L Word actually gay?
    ------------------------------------------------
    Does it really matter?

Well, if you must know:
    Leisha Hailey who plays Alice is openly lesbian.
    Laurel Holloman (Tina) is openly bisexual, married to a man, and is now a mommy!
    Jennifer Beals (Bette), Erin Daniels (Dana) , and Pam Grier (Kitt) have stated categorically that they are straight.
    Mia Kirshner (Jenny) has hinted on several occasions to being bisexual, as has Karina Lombard.
    While some have reported that Katherine Moennig (Shane) is gay, she has never publicly said so and has repeatedly said she does not wish to discuss or disclose her sexual orientation.

17. Jan 24, 2006 #17 of 138
    TBDigital

TBDigital B. Meisterburger

Mar 14, 2002
    Kingwood, Tx
    Having watched the first 3 eps from this season, I'm kinda torn. They've changed so much from the end of last season.

I was enjoying Dana and Alice being together, I thought they were hot...but Alice is so neurotic, I guess the writing was on the wall with that one. I'm wondering how long they can keep this story line going before it gets tiresome. Time to move on, Alice.

I'm not sure how anyone could stay with Bette for longer than a couple of months. She is about as unyielding a personality as I've ever seen on TV. I realize that she is going through a ton of change (and stress due to that change) in her life, but even before this season, she could be down right violent if something didn't go her way. Tina should have stayed away, IMO.

Jenny is...well, a train wreck, frankly. I thought she was getting her act together during last season, but that came to a crashing end, and while she seems to be doing ok emotionally now, she sure has trouble communicating what she wants to the people that she supposedly loves.

On to Shane, who is now my favorite character, after spending all of season 1 and the first half of season 2 in my doghouse. She is the one character who has consistantly shown growth, and a real depth of emotion and personality that was only hinted at in the first season (IMO). I don't really see her and Carmen staying together for the long haul, that hasn't really been her MO, and Carmen's family will probably cause alot of conflict, but Shane and Carmen are enjoyable to watch, for now. The second ep with Carmen's family did irritate me, though. Extremely stereotypical, IMO. Yes, I'm sure that there are alot of large, extended Hispanic families in and around LA. I'm pretty sure there are also some 2 parent/ 2 kid Hispanic families as well, but you'd never know it, since Hollywood only shows the stereotype. Not sure why that irritated me, but stereotypes in general do, I guess, and it kind of surprised me to have that on this show.

18. Jan 24, 2006 #18 of 138
    Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I generally think of Dana as neurotic. Alice is...well, obsessive, I guess.

19. Jan 24, 2006 #19 of 138
    Havana Brown

Havana Brown Ring Turner

Feb 3, 2005
    Your...

heh, you haven't been to a Sunday dinner at my house. :D

So you don't want to see Shane and Carmen together for the long haul? Come on, you know you want to see more of that latina booty in lingerie. ;)

I too always thought of Dana as the neurotic, hyper, yappy one.

20. Jan 24, 2006 #20 of 138
    TBDigital

TBDigital B. Meisterburger

Mar 14, 2002
    Kingwood, Tx
    I suppose...something weird is going on in Alice's head, although that is probably the drugs (that scene where she is recounting the various drugs her doctor had put her on was pretty funny, btw). Dana just seems like a doormat to me. She goes from relationship to relationship, being with whoever tells her what she wants to hear, or tells her what to do the most convincingly. She needs to grow a pair, IMO. :D