The Knick S01E01 "Method and Madness"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by mwhip, Aug 10, 2014.

1. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas

Advertisements

New series on Cinemax from Steven Sodebergh and starring Clive Owen.

http://www.cinemax.com/the-knick/

I have always like Clive Owen so I gave this a try. First episode I really liked it almost like House set in early 1900's. Owen's character even has a nice little cocaine addiction.

Anyone else watch?

2. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    Yes, I rather enjoyed it...Clive Owen's character is a piece of work-to say the least...

When he had the nurse inject his-um-urethra...I about lost it...

At least they are washing their hands, but no gloves? I cringed when they plunged into those surgical patients with their bare hands...

And when Clive's character gave the eulogy alluding to the life expectancy going up from 35 to 47...well, I am 47 so....yeah...

I am definitely on board for more...

3. eboydog

eboydog Just TiVo'ing.....

Mar 23, 2006
    I grabbed it, rather gruesome esp for me as a person who has had some serious medical and surgical procedures (I had aorta dissection and had my complete aorta replaced!), I cringed while watching it as some of the scenes are rather realistic even though they depict medical procedures from the turn of the century.

While there is a common belief that the medical profession has made so much progress, even today in 2014, there is so much that is still not known yet I will state, after all I have gone through, had all that happened to me occurred 20 years ago, I would be six feet under rather than here typing this message!

4. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Enjoyed it. Managed to get the pilot stuff out of the way fairly smoothly. Loved how everyone has their hand out. Yeah, some fairly graphic and gruesome surgical scenes. Not easy to watch those parts.

So... off to a good start. SP survives the pilot! :up:

5. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx

Advertisements

I enjoyed it as well. We don't have Cinemax but HBO aired it last night. Not sure what to do ;)

6. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    We had free preview this weekend for Cinemax, but I ended up recording it off HBO. I'm afraid to watch this because if I like it, it might wind up costing me another $15 a month for channel :)

7. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    No way Cinemax will cost you that much. If you are on DirecTV, I think only HBO costs $15. Everything else is like $12, and they are even cheaper if you have other premiums.

8. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jun 26, 1999
    McMurray, PA
    On Verizon FiOS where I live, Cinemax is listed as being $15.99/month, but they seem to be perpetually running 50%-off specials on all their premium channel packages, so it's available for $7.99/month for twelve months.

HBO is listed at $19.99/month (on sale for $9.99/month). HBO/Cinemax together is $29.99/month (on sale for $14.99/month).

9. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Whatever it is, I don't really want to spring for it just to watch one show. The problem with Cinemax is they show the same movies that HBO does. I had the free preview last weekend on DirecTV and there was absolutely nothing I wanted to record.

I did watch the one episode of The Knick and I really liked it. I'll have to hope when they have the next preview they show a marathon on one of the CM channels and record them all :) (or, of course, wait for the DVD to come out or it streams somewhere I have access to).

10. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    OK, just checked and it would be $13.99 to add Cinemax per month...was off by $1.01. They are running specials where you could get CM and either Starz or Sho for $13.99 for three months.

11. eboydog

eboydog Just TiVo'ing.....

Mar 23, 2006
    Same as my area on cable, HBO is more expensive than all the others. I believe it's the same price, HBO $15, Showtime and Cinemax are $12 each. Personally other than skinflix I like Cinemax better as they run more movies that are my taste with the only catch my CC only provides two out of five of the Cinemax channels in HD.

Looking forward the next Knick....

12. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I finally went back and watched the rest of season one. I really enjoyed this show. Glad to see they are making a second season.

13. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I liked it when the pilot aired, then when I got another free Cinemax preview one time, they showed the rest of S1, so I finished it and enjoyed it. Still, not going to spring for another premium. I have the same problem with Masters of Sex. I really enjoy that one as well, but not springing for Showtime, so I pickup the episodes when I get the preview or rent the DVD from the library.

14. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    Season 1 of The Knick just showed up on HBO GO, not sure about HBO On Demand but I think it is available there as well. I watched the first episode on HBO last year and have waited for the show to be available without subscribing to Cinemax.

15. Tulsawatcher

Tulsawatcher Member

May 26, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    I have HBO Now, and The Knick season 1 is now showing there. I watched the entire first season yesterday (10 eps), and really enjoyed it. Not enough to get me to add a Cinemax subscription though.

16. Malcontent

Malcontent Ancient Astronaut Theorist

Sep 4, 2004
    Bump......

FYI,

Season 2 begins tonight.