The Killing "Undertow" 5/22/2011

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cheesesteak, May 23, 2011.

1. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I thought this was a pretty good episode.

Linden is a lousy cop. Her negligence got Bennet killed or close to killed. Then again, Mr. Amed is no Einstein. Showing up for work when you're the #1 and only suspect in the murder of your students' classmate is not too bright.

I am 100% in the camp of Stan's worker Whatsisname being the killer. He serves little purpose otherwise.

Poor Stan. He let his wife goad him into a violent crime. Hope he likes prison.

It rained again.

I figured out that Bennet was part of a human smuggling ring last week. I didn't know it involved the Somali girl but I knew he wasn't the killer and that he was doing something illegal but honorable.

2. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    My feelings on this show are mixed. If I don't overanalyze it, it's just a good, long-form criminal mystery and it's been pretty enjoyable.

But if I do start to analyze it, it's been very disappointing. For example:
    -Focusing on Bennet for over half the season, only to have it be a red herring was predictable and stupid.
    -Devoting so much of the season to the Richmond campaign with no apparent tie to the murder investigation has been strange, but also shows that there must be a bigger tie to the Richmond campaign that we're soon going to find out about.
    -In a city the size of Seattle, are we really to believe that there's only one competent homicide detective and that her only viable replacement is a recovering junkie from vice who has no political savvy at all?
    -How much of the plot this season has been driven by Linden's failure to deal professionally with the Larsens? Multiple times Linden has failed to provide an explanation to the Larsens about the status of the investigation. Because of the lack of explanation, their expectations have been unrealistic and now they're taking matters into their own hands.

I could go on and on about the flaws in this show, but instead I'll just post a link to this article on Salon which does a much better job.

3. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    I kind of wish that the show had shown us who done it, because right now I am getting tired of Richmond campaign If it turns out the campaign had little to nothing to do with the murder I'm going to be upset by all this focus it seems to be getting.

I think the two leads have good chemistry, but I agree with DevdogAZ on a lot of things like that the guy from narc seems unlikely to immediately become a lead homicide detective, maybe if he were just partnered with her to be trained to do homicide that would make much more sense.

This show used to seem to be about the murder of a young girl, but instead at the moment I don't really care about the victim anymore, as the shows seem to be less and less about the murder and more about the detectives, the victim's family, and for some unknown reason this politician and his campaign.

Edit: they seemed to have marketed this as a mystery/drama (who did it?) but instead it's a character study on those involved in a murder case.

4. rahnbo

rahnbo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    I'm ready for it to be over and bring back the Walking Dead already. Or even better resurrect Rubicon. The Killing is now about as good as Ambien perhaps better for getting to sleep. When I saw it was only day 9 in one of the captions I was like (EXPLETIVE!!!!!) only day 9? It feels like a year.

5. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Did Linden miss her wedding or wedding rehearsal or whatever she was supposed to be in Sonoma for?

6. FireMen2003

FireMen2003 Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Peachtree...
    What was the guy with Stan hitting on the rock when Stan was beating up Ahmed?

7. rahnbo

rahnbo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    I wondered that too. Perhaps he was hopped up on adrenaline and had to hit something? Stan's pal is my main suspect anyway and I think he was more than happy to see this go down like it did.

8. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I don't know if I'll be able to take it if Mitch gets even more depressed and miserable once she and Stan found out he beat the crap out of an innocent man.

9. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I think Stan's pal makes the most sense at this point, but if it's him, there won't be any reason to have spent so much time with the Richmond campaign.

That's part of why this show is so frustrating. The Richmond campaign has been included in the story since the beginning for no apparent reason, so we're forced to assume there's a tie-in that's still to be revealed.

10. rahnbo

rahnbo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    Red Herring with the campaign? Its hard to ignore that car and its link to the campaign. The only thing I can't figure out is how he would have got the car or why? Perhaps he knew Rosie had a little thing for her teacher and knew he was involved in the campaign so thought he could frame him that way? Also how did the t-shirt end up back in the laundry? Stan's pal couldla done that too. Who else went on that trip to Arizona? Hmmm

11. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    I thought that wasn't the same shirt (the one they found in the meat locker should still be in evidence) but actually Rosie's shirt which is what clued Mitch into the fact that the teacher was innocent?

12. rahnbo

rahnbo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    Right I was thinking it was a 2nd shirt and it meant something else like whoever else would have had that 2nd shirt had something to do with the murder. So someone would have planted the 2nd shirt thinking it had disappeared. But then I could be totally wrong as usual with this show.

13. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Ah, ok, gotcha.

14. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Is evil Mayor McCheese entirely too evil to be considered a suspect?

15. MNoelH

MNoelH McGruber

Mar 17, 2005
    Houston, Texas
    I think it was just an engagement party, but I could easily be mistaken.

16. Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    It looked to me that he was beating on the rock with his bare fists.

I'm waiting for Jasper's dad to be linked to case somehow. The whole cage in the school basement was another red herring. And also makes me think we're not done with Jasper or his family yet. What was the point of showing his strained relationship with his rich father? And they also hinted that Rosie's aunt had some sort of history with Jasper's dad, too, didn't they? What was the point of that?

17. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    That's one example of the subtle but notable differences between the American and Danish versions. In the Danish one, they showed the Mitch character a photo of the shirt they found in the locker, and she was clearly unsure, but said it was the Rosie character's because she thought that's what the cops wanted to hear. Turns out it wasn't hers.

One interesting difference is that the Danish version is twice as long (20 60-minute episodes), but feels much more suspenseful, especially as it heads towards the end. I've seen 15 of them so far, and it's become increasingly gripping, in ways that I don't think the American version will be able to match because they're not spending the time setting stuff up. The politics in particular are interesting, but American politics don't have the kind of multi-party coalition building that the Danes apparently take for granted.

On the other hand, the Danish version has also become increasingly soap-operaish. Not to the point where it really bothers me yet, but to the point where it makes me worry a little about how it's all going to end.

18. rahnbo

rahnbo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    Aside from Stan's pal (what is that guys name anyway?) I think the mayor is a good candidate/conspiracy. Frame your competition for murder or cast enough doubt on him and stay in office. Perhaps someone from his campaign got wind of the Rosie-teacher-campaign connections and took advantage of that to do a frame job.

19. Tracy

Tracy Truly

Mar 12, 2000
    Galena, IL
    The mother's reaction to the teacher not being arrested bothered me. I understand that it would have been shocking to go to the school and see him there, and I understand that she is a terrible state at the moment, but why is she so sure that the teacher murdered Rosie. As far as I can tell, she has no meaningful information about the case. I could understand wanting to take the law into your own hands if she knew for sure the teacher was guilty and it was some sort of technicality letting him off, but that isn't the situation. Instead of constantly walking up to Linden and saying one tear-choked sentence and then striding off, why not ask for a meeting and an update on what is going on with the case? I mean, before you send your husband off to commit murder and do to someone else what was done to your daughter and family.

20. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    Everyone is telling her she did it, the cops even said they were going to pick him up but things went wrong because of a technicality.

Mrs. Larson married her hubby while he was an enforcer in the local mob. So she at one point was okay with him doing shady things to people, in her mind the teacher has wronged the family in such a complete way she wants her husband to rectify the situation since the cops seem to be failing.