The Killing "Super 8" 4/24/2011

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cheesesteak, Apr 26, 2011.

1. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I might not know who Rosie's killer is yet but here are two things I know after watching this episode:

1) I'm never going to Seattle. It rains every day.

2) I'm ffwd'ing through the upcoming funeral scene and just about every scene featuring Mrs. Larsen. What a constant downer.

2. NatasNJ

NatasNJ Bone marrow lover!

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly
    They are surely painting a clear picture that the teacher is the killer. Since there is several more episodes there is no way it can be him.

My total speculation guess is -> The interest in the teacher will make its way to the father who will then kill him. Then the truth will come out that is was "someone else" (My guess is the current Mayor set it up) and the father will want to kill himself. ala Mystic River.

3. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I have been to Seattle. (in July) and it does not rain all the time. In July it was really pretty, sparkling from recent rains and not rainy. This is designed to get fools to move there. :)

4. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Loved this ep...great misdirect when Billy Campbell called security and they went directly to Gwen....who then told them who they wanted!

And I called the father losing it, then going stone-cold-revenge-on-his-mind. That was telegraphed a mile away. As soon as he collapsed in the crapper, I knew he was going for revenge. Actually when he initially said he DIDN'T want to know who the police were pursuing, I knew he would end up going after someone....

5. Johnny Dancing

Johnny Dancing Closet Rebel

Sep 3, 2000
    Detroit
    They are just having a rainy patch. (5 days now)

The Mother scenes are a downer. What a horrible role to play for an actor. Plus I can't even wish they kill her off to get rid of her character like I usually do. I don't like it, but will watch the mother scenes as they are key to the mood of the show. Plus she is carrying a deep secret.

I pretty much agree with all of this but I think the Mayor's assistant did it (for now). The show would be over if the teacher did it so he will be eliminated as a suspect soon.

I think he really did have the floors scheduled but Rosie called him with some kind of emergency and he had to cancel. He is keeping secrets because his pattern is the same as when he met his wife.

The dad definitely will go after the teacher as he is the prime suspect of the moment - to him it really doesn't matter if he did it or not, he just wants revenge.

This kind of reminds me of all those Dateline 'who done it episodes' when the victim's family wants the lead suspect in jail for the rest of his/her life even when it becomes pretty clear that they are innocent. I guess it is human nature to make someone pay for the crime innocent or not when it comes to a close relative's murder.

6. bryhamm

bryhamm randomize

Jun 30, 2004
    St Louis area
    New theory ... Bennet's wife did it

7. NatasNJ

NatasNJ Bone marrow lover!

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly
    who is Bennet?

8. Johnny Dancing

Johnny Dancing Closet Rebel

Sep 3, 2000
    Detroit
    She does look strong for a very pregnant women.

9. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    The teacher.

10. Tracy

Tracy Truly

Mar 12, 2000
    Galena, IL
    I'm still liking the co-worker of the Dad--the guy who washed the kid's sheets. He just seems too nice. I could see him lusting after Rosie, her turning him down, and him getting very angry. Especially if he suspected something were going on with the teacher and he were racist. "You will be with him but not me???"

11. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    My guess is that Rosie helped Bennett work on his floor for some reason.

12. Bierboy

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Anyone (like me) think the title of this ep had to do with a motel?....

...of course, after seeing them watch old super8 movies, I now understand...

13. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Would someone of Rosie's age work with Super 8 film nowadays? I know nothing about film, just asking.

14. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    If she's a hipster, she might. There are plenty of artsy people who reject modern technology because they think the old stuff is cool.

Although you'd think the cops would at least comment on it...I know that my local precinct doesn't even have a VHS player. They were lucky they had a projector.

15. Bierboy

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Not just that the "old stuff is cool", but there's a certain quality to film that gives it more depth and warmth than the digital technology gives...

16. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Film in general, yes, but Super 8 won't get you there.

The cool thing about Super 8 is that it looks crappy, in ways that can be very interesting. When you shoot with Super 8, it almost automatically looks old, in a home-movie way. They have whole film festivals for cool hipsters who like to shoot in Super 8.

17. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    High Schools would have the ancient technology because they are underfunded.

18. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    Welcome, sista!

19. philw1776

philw1776 Active Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Seacoast NH
    I like the show. Interesting. Yes the scenes with the grieving Mom are hard to take and if I could stomach the character of guy running for mayor, I'd love the show and the cast.

20. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I remember reading a tweet after the first couple episodes aired that said something like, "The Killing: the only show where the director is pissed when he looks at the weather forecast and it's going to be sunny."

I'm enjoying the show overall, but there was a bit too much family grieving and political machinations in this episode and not quite enough investigation of the crime.