The Killing "El Diablo" OAD 4/10/11

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Bierboy, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Once again....VERY good stuff...excellent teevee. Hour flew by quickly. Character development is excellent, and I wonder if Linden will EVER get to Sonoma...

Hard to believe, though, that school officials didn't know about The Cage...

2. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    This show is just awesome. I actually feel bad for the Larsen family when watching them try to deal with first losing their daughter (the scene in the first episode when the wife finds out over the phone) to trying to deal with moving on and the younger brothers. I just kept thinking how hard it must be to actually go through something like this and they portrayed it very well. I just got done watching Hawaii 5-0 where a guy was told his father was killed and his reaction was to lean on a bench and say "who would have done this?". It's a lot more impactful to see the family dealing with the initial emotional response and then trying to deal with mundane daily activities like simply setting the dinner table.

I'm guessing there has to be more to the murder than simply Chris and Jasper in the video. Should be interesting to see how the investigation progresses.

3. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    Great show, but the lighting in this episode was really a bit much. It felt like we were watching a Batman movie. That said, I declare this the best mystery show since veronica mars (at least, thus far), and no Paris Hilton to boot!

4. Tracy

Tracy Truly

Mar 12, 2000
    Galena, IL
    I'm enjoying this show, too. It really makes you think about how families survive something like this happening.

One thing I didn't really understand--they stake out the area under the bridge where the long-haired kid is going to show up and when he does, they just antagonize him and get no information. What was the point of that?

5. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    Me too - I was wishing it was another 2 hour episode.
    continuing to enjoy this all around :up:

6. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    I think they were just hoping he would be ignorant enough of the law that they could get some info out of him. Since he knew there was nothing the cops could really do, they didn't have any choice but to leave.

7. Malcontent

Malcontent Ancient Astronaut Theorist

Sep 4, 2004
    I thought they did that to shake him up. It worked since they (cops) followed the long haired kid right to the other school kid. He was rattled and told the other kid the cops know. I could be misremembering but I thought that's how it went down. Someone correct me if I've got it wrong.

8. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    Didn't the male cop say to the female cop (damn I don't know their names yet!) something to the effect of
    "you were right"
    which i took to mean that she said they walk away because she thought he would most likely go running to the other kid.

9. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Linden should have jumped through the phone and punched her fiance in the face when he hung up on her.

10. Bierboy

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    FYP...

11. Mr Flippant

Mr Flippant Regular User

Jan 2, 2009
    Good scripts and good acting make for a great show. So far this one has all the right pieces. Where this could be just another CSI Seattle, it steps up and presents a story that grabs you and does not let go. Bravo!

12. billypritchard

billypritchard Embiggener

May 7, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    I'm no fan of CSI, but it's really apples to oranges comparing this show to that one. The Killing has the luxury to tell it's story over 13 hours, giving us scenes of the family grieving, the suspects in motion, the cops slowly going about the case. CSI is one story told in 42 minutes. It's not even close to the same thing.

13. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Usually two or even three stories...

14. Bierboy

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    ...and that's EXACTLY what sets it so far apart from the crap that permeates the teevee airwaves (and cablewaves) these days. Yet it doesn't draaaaaaaaag like Rubicon did...

15. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    A & E keeps messing up on my cable so I hope I successfully recorded it this time. :(

16. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Holder admitted to the Narc Scent in this episode, so that settles the debate in last week's thread. :)

The cell phone video seems too easy ... there's obviously more to the story and how it ties into Richmond's campaign.

17. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    This show is awesome. I will support the comemnts about the family too. The family grieving is pretty powerful and a huge change of pace from the standard procedural caraciture of families either quickly over-griefing or just matter of factly going about their business. It is simply never done right. I realize that given the time constraints of a single murder or more in an hour it is hard to justify, but it is just nice to see some real impact of a murder on a family as opposed to what we normally get on tv.

Much like the commercial AMC ran during the show, I was angry when the episode was over... just went fast, and I wanted it to continue right then and there.