The Killing 6/19/2011

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by bryhamm, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Jun 19, 2011 #1 of 157
    bryhamm

bryhamm randomize

Jun 30, 2004
    St Louis area
    Blech!

I feel cheated.

2. Jun 19, 2011 #2 of 157
    speedy4022

speedy4022 New Member

Nov 27, 2000
    Idaho
    I feel cheated too but it could have been worse what if it had not been renewed.

3. Jun 19, 2011 #3 of 157
    mrdazzo7

mrdazzo7 Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    That was pretty ballsy. I wonder if they shot a few endings because I think people would lose their minds had it not been renewed. But either way it really should have wrapped up this case, and that's what they said would happen. I don't care either way but I really didn't expect it to be so open ended.

4. Jun 19, 2011 #4 of 157
    bryhamm

bryhamm randomize

Jun 30, 2004
    St Louis area
    I almost wonder if they didn't change the finale because it was picked up for S2. No way that could have been the original ending.

5. Jun 19, 2011 #5 of 157
    scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    I expected to come here and find more anger. Or at least a big WTF?

6. Jun 19, 2011 #6 of 157
    Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    I am so PISSED. Beyond words. This was about the ONLY thing they could have done to piss me off. I was fine with the pacing. I enjoyed finding out about the characters. All I ask is that they wrap this storyline up and start fresh next season. I would have been fine with ANYONE being the killer, as long as it made sense.

**** them.

It's like they're so afraid of losing viewers that they had to use the season cliffhanger crutch. Hell, I don't care if they actually CATCH the killer. I just want to know who it is.

Ninja edit:

Good enough for you?

7. Jun 19, 2011 #7 of 157
    pindeck1

pindeck1 New Member

Jun 19, 2011
    I haven't seen all the episodes, but I thought we'd get a better series final. The ending was pretty lame. Now a bunch of people go to jail for faking the photo----------big deal!!!! Oh!! I forgot, who killed Rosie, do we really care now???

8. Jun 20, 2011 #8 of 157
    MNoelH

MNoelH McGruber

Mar 17, 2005
    Houston, Texas
    I am pissed off!!!

9. Jun 20, 2011 #9 of 157
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Add me to the hated it column. I feel cheated.

Did anyone like the way it ended?

I won't be watching Season Two. I'll read the threads just to see the whodunits. But I can't put up with shyte like this.

My guess: Ratings will be way down for S2. They kept raving about how steady the ratings were, but I think people had a vested interest in seeing it thru. Especially due to the strong start. But a lot of us will fall by the wayside, now that the season has ended. My guess--steady viewership will be off 30-40% for S2.

Again, did anyone like the way it ended? Those of you who liked the story up till now?

10. Jun 20, 2011 #10 of 157
    calitivo

calitivo Active Member

Dec 5, 2002
    There should be a online campaign to demand that AMC cancel this series despite having recently picked it up for another season. Can't remember having liked the beginning of a series as much to only hate it as much by the end of a season. I was at a concert last night and saw the actor who played Rosie's father and proceeded to go on a rant to a friend about what a trainwreck in storytelling this was. And then to watch the season finale tonight where they take a **** on everybody who has been watching. Good riddance.

11. Jun 20, 2011 #11 of 157
    Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Put me in the "cheated" camp. What a complete and utter cop-out and ripoff. I loved the show all the way through until that last minute, now I can't think of a show I hate more. What bs. ARRRGH!

I bet this goes down as one of the stupidest, most unpopular moves in TV-series history!

12. Jun 20, 2011 #12 of 157
    astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Thinking about the ending...

Holder provided a doctored photo, but he has to know it will come out at some point that the cameras weren't working. So when they ask Holder about it, how does he answer? I'm sure he was paid off to plant evidence, but is he willing to lose his job and face possible perjury charges?

So then the investigation is reopened. Richmond is cleared (if he's alive), and they WILL find the murderer. So what have they achieved?

What am I missing?

13. Jun 20, 2011 #13 of 157
    JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    The only thing I think got even the least bit cleared up with this clustermess was why some vice-squad reject winds up walking in on a relatively high profile case in a whole new department.

Aside from that.... WTF????? Or as Norm MacDonald so eloquently puts it, "What the H?"

14. Jun 20, 2011 #14 of 157
    astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Wow! Alan Sepinwall's review. Rarely have I seen a critic with as much vitriol for a writer, a season, a finale, a showrunner.
    He pretty much says what most of us have been saying.

15. Jun 20, 2011 #15 of 157
    aforkosh

aforkosh Member

Apr 20, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    Then there's Mo Ryan here:

"Strap yourselves in, folks. Get ready for the angriest television-related screed I think I've ever written. I'm not sure how to start, except to say that I hated the season finale of 'The Killing' with the burning intensity of 10,000 white-hot suns.

It wasn't just a bad ending to a poorly constructed, sloppy, disappointing season. It was a jaw-dropping instance of a show not just squandering its promise, but betraying its viewers. The tone-deaf arrogance of the writers and executives responsible for 'The Killing' is simply astonishing. And depressing, if you're a fan of quality television.

Let me be clear, I hold the show's executive producer and head writer, Veena Sud, responsible for a season-ender that not only DID NOT tell us who killed Rosie Larsen but turned Holder into a villain and did a number of other stupidly melodramatic, preposterously manipulative things. But I blame AMC executives as much as Sud -- if not more."

16. Jun 20, 2011 #16 of 157
    astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Maureen Ryan's review.

Excerpt:

17. Jun 20, 2011 #17 of 157
    astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Sorry, aforkosh was 4 mins faster than me. Amazing that we picked the identical paragraphs to quote.

18. Jun 20, 2011 #18 of 157
    rahnbo

rahnbo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    I'm pretty sure there were promotions for the show and interviews with the folks involved with the show that said by the end of the season we would know whodunnit. On the cheated part, I can definitely see that. On all the speculation about what exactly happened... that could be interesting to see play out or viewers will reject the show. Who knows, Rubicon might come back after all. No, it won't but I don't really care either way it doesn't affect my life either way. It was just a decent show my wife and I sorta like and was our Sunday night show. I have to watch the good stuff like Game of Thrones alone. Gave us something to do and talk about. Yeah there was that low grumble when we realized as the plane began its departure and Holder said something like "The photos worked" that there would be no answer this season but still it wasn't a horrible show and its fun in a way to make guesses about this and that. Either way, it is entertainment. Nothing more, Nothing less, unless you wagered on the season.

19. Jun 20, 2011 #19 of 157
    JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    That raises a question for me - didn't they have some "vote for who you think did it" thing going on their web site (just one more modern day trend that I totally disregard as a personal annoyance - web site tie ins for TV shows).

What was the point of that (aside from just generating web traffic) and how does this clustermess affect that? I have to think just another source of dissatisfaction at this point.

20. Jun 20, 2011 #20 of 157
    Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    This...100%. I have staunchly defended this show and have enjoyed it. But I am speechless following that mess of an season finale....

Count me as in the camp of feeling completely betrayed, bamboozled, hoodwinked and ROYALLY SCREWED...