The Killing - 4/17/11

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by bryhamm, Apr 18, 2011.

1. bryhamm

bryhamm randomize

Jun 30, 2004
    St Louis area
    Interesting development. Obviously Rosie had some "relationship" with Bennett, but I doubt it was sexual in nature and I doubt he is the killer.

My guess right now is Gwen, Richmond's right hand lady.

2. NatasNJ

NatasNJ Bone marrow lover!

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly
    Gwen as the killer seems too obvious.

I wasn't able to read the Bennett letters. Were they romantic in nature?

My long shot is the current Mayor is responsible for the murder (maybe not him personally doing it) to hurt Richmonds chances to take his job.

3. bryhamm

bryhamm randomize

Jun 30, 2004
    St Louis area
    Was too hard to make them out, and they didn't show the whole thing. Basically the first paragraph only was shown on screen, then they later showed Bennett's name. I paused the DVR to read the first paragraph, but it didn't really sound romantic per se. Although it could have been one of those "buttering up" type things.

4. bryhamm

bryhamm randomize

Jun 30, 2004
    St Louis area

I went to AMC's web site and was trying to guess who the killer was amongst the people they showed. My "dark horse" guess was the mom, but she was not an option. Bennett is too obvious, as is the two teenage boys. Maybe Richmond, but again that seems too obvious. They had the guy who is a mover with the dad (sorry, don't remember his name). Could be someone a bit obscure like that, but what would his reasoning be?

Gwen was the only one I could see that we've seen so far that didn't seem too obvious but still would have some motivation possibly.

5. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    What would be the motive for Richmond killing her? A lover that needed to be removed?
    She was traveling to the campagne office at the end of the bus line.

6. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    He had my vote after tonight. I haven't seen the web site - he just seems creepy.

I think she hung out with the teacher, but it won't amount to anything - too early in the season. My bet is the mover buddy had a crush on her, maybe she called him for a ride home and he put a move on her. She resisted, threatened to tell Dad, and he killed her. Not sure how the campaign car fits into it yet though.

That's my theory, and I'm sticking to it.

7. caslu

caslu Active Member

Jun 24, 2003
    I'm 50-50 on either the mover buddy or the campaign assistant (Gwen).

8. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    I don't think that was a campaign office at the end of the bus line...it was some program for kids that obviously supported Richmond -- or that Richmond supported -- (hence, the multiple signs)...

9. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    That's what I thought. I don't get why Rosie would be skipping out of school to go there - at least I thought that's when they said she caught the bus in the afternoon. Bennett would still be in school teaching. I started getting an el-creepo vibe from him last episode. He's definitely not the killer but he seemed to have more than a teacher-student thing going on with her.

I know she's grieving but Mama Larsen sucks the life out of every scene she's in.

Wasn't it established in the pilot that Rosie ran away frequently? Has either parent told the police that?

10. bryhamm

bryhamm randomize

Jun 30, 2004
    St Louis area

Not a bad theory.

11. Bierboy

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    I agree that Mitch kinda dragged this episode down a bit. But having experienced casket-choosing (though not for a child), I can say that it was pretty accurately depicted as a heart-wrenching experience.

Thought the slip up at the police station with the death scene photos visible to mom and dad was over the edge...that most likely wouldn't happen.

12. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    And why would any parent want to know that their child suffered? I don't blame Linden for not telling them.

Did the junkie kid identify Holder as a fellow junkie?

13. Bierboy

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    And are we now assuming that Rosie was NOT the girl attacked in the "Cage"....it was Sterling? I suspected as much since we never saw her face in the video....

That's what I took from it....unless he was just trying to turn things around on him...

14. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Yes. They never came out and said it, but they made it clear it was Sterling and not Rosie. So the two punk kids are now cleared.

As an aside, I was somewhat surprised at how quick they removed that as an issue. Figured it would remain a clue for a while, but within 5-10 minutes of this episode it was already tossed away.

15. Bierboy

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    ...and that's what makes this series unique. It's designed to be slow-moving (one homicide per season), yet, it doesn't drag. This issue was resolved very quickly, while other questions arose...

16. Johnny Dancing

Johnny Dancing Closet Rebel

Sep 3, 2000
    Detroit
    There goes my guess that it is the mom. She definitely knows things about her daughter she is not telling anyone. Although her killing would be one of passion so it does not really fit the crime scene at this point.

Now I am back on the more obvious track. Gwen. She would want the girl out of the picture and had access to the car.

I did not think it was a slip, I think she wanted to see how they reacted. Also,she probably wants them to start giving up some helpful information without throwing photos in front of them screaming "Do you want to see what they did to your daughter!" The crime board was set up perfectly for them to see from the interrogation room.

If it was a slip, I agree, would not happen.

17. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Except she didn't have anything to do with it. Her back was to the window when the cops came out of that room and left the door open.

18. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    Who was the guy that the dad met with in the restaurant to get money? I couldn't understand some of the dialogue that may have explained their connection.

19. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    They didn't say, but he seemed to be a relative and probably with a crime syndicate.

20. smak

smak TV MA SLV

Feb 11, 2000
    NoHo, CA USA
    The killer is Jamie, the "ex" campaign manager.

-smak-