The installer never showed, so....

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by dinglehart, Jan 10, 2006.

1. dinglehart

dinglehart Member

Dec 3, 2002
    Fontana, CA

Advertisements

...I blew up at D*. Below is the e-mail that I sent them, not that I'm expecting anything from them. I'll let you know what I hear....

I'm really upset. Today I was expecting that my local DirecTV installer would be out to upgrade my dish to 3lnb for my new H10-250 DVR (so that I can receive HD signals). My installation was scheduled from 1-5PM and, after 5PM passed and no installer, I called the installer's 800 number. I was told that someone had rescheduled the installation at the local office and gave me the local office number. I then called the local office number where I was told that the call center had changed it (the 1st number I called) because I called in due to a DR's appointment. I did no such thing. When I explained this I was told to call DirecTV, which I did. The representative, while nice, was only able to offer me a $20 credit for a missed appointment. I took it, but it is small consolation for having to burn a vacation day and sitting for 5 hours waiting for someone that never showed up!

I'm not sure exactly what I expect you to do, but I am beginning to feel that I'm not valued as a customer. I learned that the H10-250 that I bought is still running Tivo version 3.x software (as opposed to the SD Tivo units running 6.2) and that since you announced your new DVR (non-Tivo) that we will probably never see the 6.2 software upgrade. Add to that the fact that my new unit will never be able to receive new HD channels because it does not support MPEG-4, nor will it ever. I really have no interest in a non-Tivo DVR, not that it matters since it looks like you're focused on providing HD locals for the top markets rather than expanding your national HD feeds.

At this point, it looks like I will have to honor my 1 year commitment for the DVR dish uprade but I am really thinking about moving back to cable in early 2007. My local cable company offers most of the same national channels that you do, plus more of my locals in HD. And by that time the new G3 Tivo that supports the CableCARD standard will be out so I will get my HD programming as well as the latest Tivo software. At this point I am not seeing any advantage to sticking with your service. It does not give me any benefits.

I realize that this started as a complaint about the installation, but it really was the last straw.

2. Billy66

Billy66 Again with shoelaces

Dec 15, 2003
    I would call and *****. Ask for a supervisor or for retention. Then let them have it. My expectation is that they will offer you a programming credit for your inconvenience.

I'm sorry. :(

3. nellee

nellee New Member

May 26, 2002
    San Francisco

I don't think that's enough!

Depending on how much money you "lost" for taking some vacation time, you should push to get that amount in whatever they will give you, ie, credits, rebates, free programming, and ask for the 5lnb instead.

And you can also push for your own installer at your convenience and have them reimburse you for it.

It's your time!

4. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    Geez and I thought an 8pm show time for 1-5pm and then he wouldn't install was bad.

definitely dig up retentions number. They always tell you to call in anyways.

5. bdlucas

bdlucas Right side up again.

Feb 15, 2004
    Exurbia

Advertisements

Sounds like someone called them to reschedule due to a doctor's appointment and the call center screwed up and changed the wrong work order. Somewhere there's probably an installer cursing the customer for not being there when they showed up :)

What is fair compensation to you for this screw-up I can't say.

6. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Must have been from MASTEC!

7. xja

xja New Member

Nov 17, 2004
    I had the same problem a few days ago. I had installation scheduled for Sunday afternoon and nobody ever showed up or even called. After the scheduled time passed, I called and they said that they didn't have the equipment available and had to reschedule me. Would have been nice of them to tell me that rather than making me waste an afternoon. I didn't get any compensation whatsoever.

The rescheduled time was for yesterday between 8am and 10am. The installer showed up just after noon. Guess that is an improvement. :rolleyes:

8. Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma

That's a good one. Call DIRECTV and demand account credits or whatever in the same amount of money you "lost" for taking a vacation day to wait for the installer. I'm sure they'll go for that. :rolleyes:

Also tell them a friend from work was planning to take you to lunch that day and you want them to also mail you a McDonalds gift certificate. :)

9. Finnstang

Finnstang King of the North

Sep 11, 2003
    Winterfell
    800-824-9081

Retention (no holding)

10. itsmeitsmeitsme

itsmeitsmeitsme New Member

Nov 13, 2003
    ohio
    I called Retention in a similar situation and the women from DTV called the company that was to install. She put me on 3 way with the installation manager and she ripped them really good. They showed up about 1 1/2 hr later and got the job complete.

11. Montana Man

Montana Man New Member

Aug 16, 2005
    I had a similar problem back in October when i got my HR10-250. I had it set up for a Saturday between 1-5pm. I waited until 430 and they never showed so i called the installer. They told me that directv didnt send them the box. I got pissed because this was the only day i could be home. I called Dtv freaking out about it and they said that they did send the box to them. So they called the installer and found out they were lying to me.

At that point i managed to get a $100 credit. They resceduled me for an after hours install the following tuesday. I was leaving on vacation on wednesday and football season started that sunday so i wanted my HD considering i paid the extra $99 for the superfan pack. When 6pm rolled around and still no installer i freaked out again. Called the installer and they gave me some BS story of why they didnt show. I called Dtv again and managed to get another $100 credit. They then rescheduled me for Saturday night when i was getting home from my mini vacation. This time they did show up and get it installed but they brought me the wrong OTA antenna. So of course i had to get mad again and they gave me another $50 credit for the antenna and brought me a new antenna.

So there is no reason you shouldnt get a nice chunk of change off your bill for the inconvience. Maybe its because i used to work in customer service and i know how to push the proper buttons that i got such a nice compensation package out of them but this is proof that it is possible. After the way Dtv went to bat for me in this situation with the installer i will be a life long DTV customer.

12. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Yes, but $250 is hardly worth the time you wasted! Must have been MASTEC again. They are terrible.