The Incredibles on NBC: Kudos

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Turtleboy, Nov 27, 2008.

1. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale

Advertisements

Kudos to NBC for showing the Incredibles in HD in its OAR. I know they are going to get calls from people complaining about the "black bars" but they did it right.

And it looks fantastic.

2. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    They are doing the same on the SD feed, too.

3. FilmCritic3000

FilmCritic3000 Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2004
    Anchorage,...
    I look forward to checking this out in HD. It's a great film and a terrific one to showcase the technology.

4. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    I want this movie in Blu-ray.

5. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003

Advertisements

Watched most of it...it looked ok, not great though in HD.

6. ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    I couldn't believe what I was seeing on analog cable! The last time they played it they did a 16:9 crop that was stretched to 4:3. I hope this becomes a standard.

7. Jimbo713

Jimbo713 CreaTiVoty!

Dec 25, 2001
    Richmond, VA
    If you'd never seen this movie - it sure must have been a treat. We own the standard DVD - and we're getting a Blu-Ray player for Christmas and I mentioned to my wife (who supports the purchase, BTW) that what we were seeing was a perfect example of the visual upgrade we'd get with the new technology. There was a striking difference between our DVD and the HD image!

8. anom

anom Enlightened

Apr 18, 2005
    That's very, very surprising. I don't think I've ever seen a letterboxed movie on network tv (non-HD, anyway), let alone a childrens movie.

9. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    As I recall, they used to letterbox SD broadcasts the later HD episodes of "The West Wing."

It's funny as I just got BravoHD on Comcast I started a season pass for "The West Wing" in HD and the early years are 4:3. The difference is they show up with black bars on the sides rather than letterboxed 16:3 with bars on all four sides.

10. hanumang

hanumang Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Yeah, as mentioned by anom, this part I found extremely odd, especially since they prefaced the screening with the usual "This film has been edited for time and formatted to fit your screen" plate that's used for pan-and-scan broadcasts.

Not that this is a complaint or anything. :D

The HD broadcast looked terrific. Subtle details - like the stubble on Bob's face, and the threads/texture on clothes - really shine through in HD.

As others have mentioned, can't wait for the (eventual) Blu-Ray release. Pixar films are my only must rebuys. Ratatouille and Cars are down, the rest to go...

11. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    when TB started this, I went to my NBC channel on my 4:3 analog TV, expecting to see a 4:3 pan and scan presentation. I was very surprised to see OAR presentation.

12. hanumang

hanumang Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Pittsburgh, PA
    In case I've caused some confusion: I also saw this with my own eyes (I still have one SD Tivo unit and happened to stumble upon it there).

I then went and recorded it on my (crappy) HR21.

13. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Weird, they are showing it again tonight. Two nights in a row.

14. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Many TV shows have been letterboxed for a long time. I think "er" has been letterboxed longer than "The West Wing".

15. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    I watched it tonight. Never a dull moment. Still my favorite Pixar movie. Looks good in HD. I want it in Blu-ray. NOW!

16. Bettamojo5

Bettamojo5 Rolling Along

Apr 12, 2004
    New...
    Watched it tonight. Looks Great!

17. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I noticed the same thing tonight, I was amazed at the level of detail, it was simply gorgeous..

Diane

18. CorgiMom28

CorgiMom28 In search of a Title

Jan 6, 2007
    The "Freak...
    I forgot how much I really like this movie... looked great in HD!

19. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I'd forgotten how many of the musical riffs come right next to being Bond ripoffs, but then go off on their own, it's brilliant that Michael Giacchino can so evoke the Bond feel, but not actually ever use a Bond riff.

20. FilmCritic3000

FilmCritic3000 Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2004
    Anchorage,...
    I noticed the same thing but was and am always amazed at the way Pixar animates hair. Like, for instance, the scene in which Helen, Dash, and Violet are speeding across the ocean and the wind is whipping their hair. The HD really displays, quite beautifully, the amazing talent and technology involved with bringing these characters and their world to life.