The Hot Zone: 6 part mini-series NatGeo *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by astrohip, May 27, 2019.

1. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...

Advertisements

The Hot Zone, based on a book of the same name. Six episodes. Airs on NatGeo channel, two eps a night, three nights in a row (May 27-29).

[from wiki]
    The Hot Zone examines "the terrifying true story of the origins of the Ebola virus, a highly infectious, deadly virus from the central African rain forest and its first arrival on U.S. soil. In 1989, when this killer suddenly appeared in primates in a scientific lab in the suburbs of Washington, D.C., there was no known cure. A heroic U.S. Army veterinarian working with a secret military SWAT team put herself in mortal peril when she tried to head off the outbreak before it spread to the human population."

I'm just getting ready to watch it, but wanted to get the thread started so we have a place to discuss.

2. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    I read the book, had to be like, 25 years ago.

3. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    1994. Twenty five years ago :p.

4. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    So just out of curiosity, what channels does it show in the US? In Canada it's billed as a "National Geographic and Showcase" presentation (Showcase is a Canadian cable channel).

The first half hour I watched seems intriguing enough.

5. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead TCF Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID

Advertisements

Cable here. National Geographic tonight and tomorrow (5/28 and 29). For me, channel 1279. Recorded the first eps last night 10pm MDT. I'll binge watch after I have 'em all.

6. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    AFAIK, it's called the National Geographic channel, but more commonly known as NatGeo. It's a basic cable channel, so 80,000,000 households get it in the US. On DirecTV it's 276. On Comcast/Xfinity, it varies by locale.

7. Craigbob

Craigbob Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2006
    San Antonio
    You and me both. I wonder if I still have my copy in a box somewhere.

8. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I also read the book when it came out. It was terrifying...until scientists started talking about how much it over-dramatized things.

Looks like the show is going the same direction...more fiction than docudrama. But entertaining!

mattack likes this.
  9. kaszeta

kaszeta $nullstring TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    Pretty good so far. Marburg/Ebola symptoms a little dramatized. Jaax being a composite character encompassing a lot of things other people really did. But otherwise pretty good.

10. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Especially when the outbreak from ~6 years ago or whatever really was nowhere near as bad as the book portrayed.. I remember not finishing the book (one of the very few books I started but didn't finish). I've recorded it will watch it some eon! heh.

11. AlphaDelta

AlphaDelta Member

Jan 9, 2007
    Ann Arbor, MI
    For some reason my TiVo didn't record the first two episodes, claiming they were "duplicates." Have to wait for the rebroadcast in a week ....

12. jasrub

jasrub Member

May 9, 2008
    Houston, TX
    So there must have been some kind of logistical reason, or I just didn't hear it explained in the show, but I kept asking myself, why didn't they use tranquilizer guns on the monkeys in the cages. That would have negated the need to open the cages to inject them while they were awake..

13. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I thought it started off really strong and then fizzled out as it went along. I believe I heard they are doing a marathon re-airing this weekend if anyone missed it.

14. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I agree...although they were pretty hampered by actual events. The "villains" turned out to be right and the "heroes" wrong; the big message at the end was "OK, so we seriously over-reacted, but maybe next time the sky WILL fall!"

I guess the good news is, they weren't as good at glorifying the alarmists as Richard Preston was when he wrote the book... :D

15. pdhenry

pdhenry Oh, my aching back

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    <cough>OnDemand<cough>

16. jebbbz

jebbbz Member

Sep 7, 2007
    35th and...
    I wondered the same thing. Then I wondered, given how hungry the monkeys were, why they didn't spike a bunch of monkey food with sedatives.

(Also, an apparent glitch in my recording cut off a bit of the show right before a commercial. Did the two soldiers running across the roof with the blue tarp trap the escaping monkey? I assumed so but never saw that happen.)

17. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    They sealed off the roof access to the vent the monkey was in, so the monkey had to turn back into the building where the others were waiting for him.