The Haunting of Hill House - Netflix 2018 - SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by TAsunder, Oct 17, 2018.

1. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI

Advertisements

Anyone else watching this? After seeing critical reviews lavishing praise on it, my wife and I watched it over the past several days. It's not as scary as some other recent horror work, but we both thought it was outstanding. I'd say it was noticeably better than even the best season of American Horror Story.

2. hairyblue

hairyblue A good Man

Feb 25, 2002
    Mobile, AL
    My sister watched this and loved it. She asked if there was a season two planned. I didn't watch it so I don't know how it ended up.

3. Howie

Howie Out of Pocket TCF Club

May 3, 2004
    San Antonio
    I have it high up in my queue. I'll watch soon.

4. caslu

caslu Active Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Only saw the pilot so far, but loved it.

5. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York

Advertisements

LOVING it - up to episode 5. I think the acting is fantastic and I love how they are revealing parts of the story over time (for example Nell's husband Arthur)...

6. Cainebj

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I have to say Episode 6 where they all come together for Nell's first viewing is a television masterpiece. So well done. That circular shot when the Dad first arrives and the actors go from the set of older to the set of younger was incredible.

7. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Same here...gonna take it slow with this one.

8. mlsnyc

mlsnyc Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 2, 2009
    First 2 episodes have been great. Saw some reviews that said the first 4 episodes are slow but it picks up steam after that. So looking forward to seeing the rest of the series.

9. SoBelle0

SoBelle0 Go Big Blue!!

Jun 25, 2002
    Decatur, GA
    Loved it!! Finished it last night.

Completely agreed about Ep 6. Wow! Then, another dose of that in Ep 9, I think it was. Spectacular, bringing things full circle.

Hesitated to check in here until the end, as I wasn't sure how spoilery it was. The last few episodes, while still some scary, also got really sad and deep and moving and interesting... what a fabulously done show! I'm going to read the book next.

10. Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    I did a 5 episode mini marathon tonight. Once I started I could not stop. Really enjoyed it.

11. Penny Lane

Penny Lane Hates winter

Dec 3, 2007
    Strawberry...
    Liked so much of it but thought they whimped out by not having Luke die. The mother had already seen him laying dead on the table so for him to not die didn't make sense.

12. Eight47

Eight47 Member

Feb 22, 2003
    The Netflix series is not based the book, quite different. The only similarities are some of the character names. After reading the book, you might like to check out the 1963 film "The Haunting".

13. SoBelle0

SoBelle0 Go Big Blue!!

Jun 25, 2002
    Decatur, GA
    I have seen that one - and the cheesier 90s remake/version. All of which prompted my desire to start the book. It is excellent!!

14. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    I thought it was great. And the casting of Timothy Hutton as the older Henry Thomas was brilliant.

Also agree the Nell episode was the best and so sad.

15. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    While overall good, it was a ripoff of American Horror Season 1. Or maybe American Horror ripped off this.

And the ending was weak.

16. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    The novel definitely didn't invent the haunted house genre and certainly American Horror story was many decades too late to have invented it.

17. Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    I had to look it up but it is interesting that Hutton is actually only 10 years older than Thomas.

18. Cainebj

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    American Horror Story WISHES any season was as good as this one of Haunting of Hill House.
    They are not even close to being in the same league.

19. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    I disagree. Haunting of Hill House had an artsy feel (long emotional Shakespearean monologues), but the story was weak.

20. Cainebj

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    THAT is what makes it so brilliant. It was character driven with amazing revelations with a plot you can actually follow.

AHS always feels to me like they are making it up as they go along and don't have a clue as to what they are doing and hoping no one notices.

Caslu01 likes this.