1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Handmaid's Tale Season 2, *spoilers* all season thread

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by dthmj, Apr 27, 2018.

1. dthmj

dthmj Hinky TCF Club

Mar 12, 2002
    Texas
    I figure if there wasn't already a thread for the first two episodes we needed a season thread.

I haven't even watched episode 2 yet. But this shows is so good.

Aunt Lydia is just evil.

2. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    Thanks for starting the thread.

I watched both episodes (even went back and watched the last episode of season 1 - there is a previously on, but no last season recap like Netflix does).

It is just as good so far.
    Yes Aunt Lydia is evil - and "there will be consequences" - wow they ain't kidding.
    Serena Waterford is pretty evil also...

I am really curious to see where they are going.
    It looks like the episodes will involve more back stories of the characters other than June's, but unless she gets re-captured - not sure what 10 episodes of her on the lam is going to look like.

As a gay dude - episode 2 is particularly personally disturbing.

3. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I was wondering about that. I guess one possibility would be that she can't get out of Gilead but hooks up with the resistance...

This has to be the bleakest, most depressing show I've ever loved.

mtnagel likes this.
  4. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da boogie...
    I'm liking the LOST take on seeing other backstories. Hope to see Janine's as well.

Realized during the credits that was Marissa Tomei as the wife Emily befriends. She looked familiar though LOL. And speaking of Emily, I swear she could be Zooey Deschanel's doppelganger.​

5. May 3, 2018 #5 of 59
    Cainebj

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    Episode 3:

I did not care for this one as much as the first 2
    - although - it was interesting to see how normal folk would be forced to live in this society.
    Her relationship with her mother didn't do much for me - although her seeing the photo of her doing labor was kinda shocking... (and I love Cherry Jones who played the Mom - she is an amazing multiple Tony winning Broadway actress).

The other woman living in the apartment with Ruby and the husband - I'm can't figure out if we saw her before or if she is completely a new character...

I kept thinking this show has no where to go if she actually escapes, so the ending was kindof obvious but not at the same time...

6. May 3, 2018 #6 of 59
    Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    She was there last season. Her "Froot Loops" line were the first words she's ever spoken, hence Ruby's response.

7. May 9, 2018 #7 of 59
    Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Not since Homeland Season 2 has a show squandered so much good will so quickly. That was just a dreadful hour of television. It took almost every scrap of willpower I have to finish it.

I still hold out hope that this was just a brave choice on their part, and that soon...VERY soon...it will turn in a startlingly new direction. But for this week, all they did after three episodes moving past the first season was pluck us firmly back into the status quo of the first season, with (almost literally) no hope of ever moving on again. After spending an entire season watching how hellish life for a Handmaid in Gilead, and specifically in the Commander's house, is, I really don't need, don't want, and won't put up with more of that. If the first few minutes of next week don't at least hint at something new, I'm out.

8. May 9, 2018 #8 of 59
    gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da boogie...
    Totally agree. She's captured and now what? More Commander and Serena Joy. I rather go back to the Colonies. That was more interesting. Especially when Janine arrived.

9. Craigbob

Craigbob Active Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Land of...
    I am finally caught up with the series. A few thoughts on the season so far.

June just subsuming her whole personality just to survive, but everyone knew something was wrong. I found it funny that both Nick and Sereena wanted the old Offred back. Be careful what you wish for I guess.

I really thought she was going to pass out during the ceremony. Poor Nick.

Wow, I didn't expect episode six to end like that. I guess they aren't playing it safe.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  10. tivotvaddict

tivotvaddict CreativelyChallenged

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    Episode 6's last scene was soooo good! I watched it at least 6 times. Seems to portend an entirely new direction for the show, one with a great deal more hope.

11. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da boogie...
    Yeah that was epic. Can't to see what comes of it. Was that in the books?

12. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    The first season was the book. This season is all new territory.

gossamer88 likes this.
  13. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    Or a great deal more clamping down on whatever tiny bit of autonomy that the handmaids and other women have.

14. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    There doesn't seem to be enough of that left to make it worthwhile. I suspect they're going to think they need to try something new. And it boggles the mind trying to imagine what that might be!

15. tivotvaddict

tivotvaddict CreativelyChallenged

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    True. But it also means there are at least some people who are resisting the Gilead power structure. Once June was returned to the commanders house and was told there was no more ____ (blanking on the name of the resistance movement right now) there seemed to be no hope for change. But clearly the suicide bomber didn't get the bomb herself, so there are others out there resisting. That is hope.

16. Cainebj

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I dunno why you were so surprised - Of course she had to be caught and brought back - the show had no where to go if she wasn't. We were watching the first episodes of season 2 just wondering when it was going to happen... I didn't think it was dreadful - I thought it was inevitable.

17. Cainebj

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    Can I just say - - - this season has been incredible and last night's episode "Holly" was especially magnificent. What a tour de force performance from Elisabeth Moss.

18. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da boogie...
    Agreed. Been a great season. Last week's was especially brutal. My wife refuses to watch.

One quibble, why didn't the Waterfords search the entire house?

19. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I suspect when Serena saw the open closet and the abandoned Handmaid cloak, she assumed June had fled. At that point, the need not to get caught there outweighed the desire to find June...

20. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    !Texas
    I was screaming when June was trying to bust out of the garage. These last two episodes have been very difficult to watch.
    This season has been excellent.