The Handmaid's Tale - S3:E8 "Unfit"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Cainebj, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    Oh Aunt Lydia.

I think some of us have mentioned on here wanting to see Aunt Lydia before Gilead and I got excited that we finally got it. No redeeming quality though. She came across to me as a bitter spinster who jilted in love eventually used her position of power to control people whose lifestyle or choices she didn't agree with... A perfect match for Gilead.

I was surprised at the implication that CPS had more absolute over people even before Gilead.

Ann Dowd is genius.

I've given up on anything that June does or the consequences making any sense in this universe. I don't believe her daughter's family would have been the ones to move away - I would think they would move June - although maybe the point is her not knowing where the kid is...

The other handmaid going bonkers at the end and June's reactions was riveting. That shot of her being shot and flying up in the air as her red dress flowed and circled around in slow motion was an amazing image.

2. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Yeah, the showrunner tried to address that...
    The Handmaid's Tale's Showrunner Shares What Keeps June Alive
    ...and it seems the best he could come up with is "The writers keep her alive."

3. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I thought the Aunt Lydia backstory was interesting. It seemed like she was very loving and tolerant, but then something snapped when she tried to make a move on the principal and he pulled away, and suddenly she went all scorched earth and became the holier-than-thou woman we know in Gilead. So it's interesting that her attitudes and demeanor is not something created by Gilead. She brought all that with her into Gilead, and maybe her attitudes have even shaped some of how Gilead handles the Handmaids.

4. Martha

Martha Member

Oct 6, 2002
    South Carolina
    I was surprised they killed the handmaid... I would think a pregnant handmaid is worth far more than Aunt Lydia.

I kept expecting June to wake up from a dream. Her behavior & attitude are so arrogant. Why is she allowed to say & do whatever she feels without repercussions?

5. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    See the interview I linked to a couple of posts up. The answer is, there is no answer...they (the writers) keep her alive because they have to keep her alive, not because there's any solid story reason for it. The showrunner literally admits it (although he then goes on to try to give story reasons for it...none of which really hold much water).

Martha likes this.
  6. Cainebj

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I did find June's line to Aunt Lydia interesting - paraphrasing - when she said something like you could hurt me - unless of course The Waterford's need me on camera again...

7. BradJW

BradJW Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Houston
    So Aunts are allowed to read with no consequences. Interesting.

My take - Aunt Lydia was NOT jilted in love. She wasn't rejected by the principal. She didn't feel rejected in the least.

Rather, she was disgusted at her self for giving into the sins of the flesh. And she blamed Noelle for giving her the makeup and pushing her towards the sins of the flesh. Who's fault was it? Noelle's fault.

tivotvaddict likes this.
  8. Cainebj

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I was referring to her failed marriage - not the principal.

9. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I don't think I watched the same episode you two did.

10. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I think you're probably right that she felt disgusted with herself for giving in to the sins of the flesh. But that doesn't change the fact that she was also rejected by the principal. They were making out, she put her hand in his crotch, and then he turned away and said it was too soon for him. She was embarrassed and ashamed and that's when she shut down her emotions. Rather than dealing with it like an adult, she basically told the principal she'd see him again at school and then the next time we saw them interacting, she was calling him Mr. _____, basically reinforcing the fact that she does not want any emotional connection.

11. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Yeah, I wonder how disgusted she would have felt if he had let her have her way with him...I can see it going either way.

12. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Like others, I was highly anticipating the backstory for Aunt Lydia. Wow, her backstory really makes a lot of sense. The creation of Gilead was a god send for her! What a great match... Ann Dowd is a fantastic actress, and such a sweet lady...

And yes, I continue to be dumbfounded by what June is able to get away with in this police-state. And while I appreciated the attempt by the writers to explain it with the whole "I hope the Waterford's don't need me on camera for Nicole" threat, in Season 1 they simply said "screw it" and took a few pounds of flesh from their closest "friends" and fellow handmaids. They could also torture her in a way that doesn't leave any physical marks.

I was trying to recall where I recognize the actress who plays Noelle from (Emily Althaus). I had to Google it, and discovered that she was on Orange is the New Black. Now I see it!

13. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
  14. Craigbob

Craigbob Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Land of...
    It was great to finally see Lydia's backstory. Nothing like what I imagined it being. Kudos to Ann Dowd for her acting.

I've constantly been amazed with the cinematography of the show. So many amazing shots.

I was very surprised that they shot ofMatthew. I thought a handmaid who was pregnant was basically untouchable.

As for June getting away with everything she does, it's all plot driven. It does strain the credibility and makes Gilead a bit less believable. Of course June has learned how to play the system.

With Margret Atwood's sequel novel coming out in Sept., (and I know it's set 15 years in the future of HT,) I wonder how much the show and novel will intersect.

15. dthmj

dthmj Hinky TCF Club

Mar 12, 2002
    Texas
    Aunt Lydia is complicated. I think deep down she cares about people. Like she cared about the little boy - and she came to care for his mother. But she's also judgemental. If you falter, if you fail, she wants you to pay for it. Everyone needs to live up to her standards, and few rarely do.

Funny about Islands in the Stream - I heard that song in another show as well yesterday. And it's probably been years since I've heard it... then twice in one day.

16. tivotvaddict

tivotvaddict CreativelyChallenged

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    This! Couldn't agree more. And the worst mistake of all was that she herself didn't live up to her own standards (letting her desires of the flesh have the upper hand), and that's ultimately the person she despises the most. In her mind, I can see her thinking that she is indeed saving these girls. She's saving them from their own wicked desires so that they can escape having the burden of the guilt of giving in to those same desires of the flesh. Physical pain is fleeting, but that guilt haunts you forever.

Aunt Lydia's backstory wasn't the one I was hoping for, but it's one that rings oh-so-very-true of so many members of society.