The Handmaid's Tale - S3:E6 "Household"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Cainebj, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York

Advertisements

OK I'll start a thread.

By FAR my favorite episode of the season.
    Loved seeing their version of what Gilead would do to Washington DC and the entire concept of silencing the handmaids - - - well - - - I had to stop and take a moment when I saw what they actually were doing to those women when June asked her a question - - -
    (and then almost immediately - thought - how do they eat?).

The usual non-sensical quibbles - like why is June allowed to be alone in the Lincoln Memorial to begin with...?

But that image of all the handmaids with the new version of the Washington monument and then it reflected in June's eye was breathtaking.

I am scared to find out what June doesn't know about Nick and left wondering what is up with Aunt Lydia...

cwerdna likes this.
  2. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Except she's not alone...turns out there is a plaza full of Handmaids and Eyes right behind her.

Who could presumably hear every word she screamed at Serena...

3. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    My wife gave out an audible <gasp> when they first showed the destroyed Lincoln Memorial...

4. Cainebj

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I assumed it was going to have been replaced with something - the image of it headless was kinda shocking.

5. Tobashadow

Tobashadow Read over there --->

Nov 11, 2006

Advertisements

Aunt Lydia looks very troubled..

I wonder if June just got a friend going forward.

cwerdna and Jstkiddn like this.
  6. Jstkiddn

Jstkiddn Shutity up up up

Oct 15, 2003
    I did too!

7. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    I was wondering about one line, so I looked it up...

William Peirce Anderson, the architect of Washington Union Station, was a Mormon. (Hence Gilead calling him a heretic and replacing it with a new building -- which was also a convenient excuse to have Washington train station scenes that didn't take place in such a recognizable location.)

8. Craigbob

Craigbob Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2006
    San Antonio
    Personally I think they runied the reveal of the Washington Monument by showing it earlier in the episode when they were on the train. They should have skipped that showing of it and had the shocking reveal at the end only.

The rings in the mount made no sense especially if you think about the health problems the ringed handmaids would have by not being able to eat or take care of their teeth. Not a good idea for women who's only purpose is to bear children.

9. Cainebj

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I agree they make no sense - BUT still a shocking image reveal.

cwerdna and ThePennyDropped like this.
  10. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    With regard to the new version of the Washington Monument, is the horizontal piece a disc that goes all the way around so it appears to be a cross from any angle? If not, it wouldn't look nearly as "shocking" if you saw it from another angle where the cross piece was at an angle.

I still can't get past the idea that the world community is allowing Gilead to treat women this way. If we found out today that [insert country here] was enslaving women and assigning them to high-ranking men as sex slaves, and that their mouths were being muzzled to keep them silent, there would be international outcry about human rights abuses and major economic sanctions until the abuses were stopped. Why are Canada and Switzerland (and presumably other nations) willing to work with Gilead and entertain their demands? Shouldn't they be flatly denying any demand from Gilead and demanding that June (and all other handmaids) be allowed to go free?

11. ThePennyDropped

ThePennyDropped Now I get it. TCF Club

Jul 5, 2006
    Northeast US
    They did address this with a line about Gilead being strong militarily, but nothing they've shown previously really backs this up.

12. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Yeah, I heard that line. And we know Gilead is currently fighting a war near Chicago. But even still, this would be like in the middle of WWII, a German Jew attempts to publicize the atrocities of the Nazi concentration camps and is interviewed by representatives from Sweden, knowing that if they don't intervene, the Jew will be killed by the Nazis. But in order to maintain political ties, they let the Jew remain in Germany to die.

13. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Yeah, for me it's a pretty major problem when a story clearly designed as a fable tries to world-build like that...the foundation just isn't there.

14. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I don't understand; is Devil Dog being ironic? Or does he just not know what actually happened during WWII? Forget Sweden, the US was sending Jews back to Nazi Germany to die before we entered the war.

15. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Neither the US, nor any other country, knew for sure what Germany was doing with the Jews until much later in the war. I'm talking about a situation where the international representatives can actually talk to someone who has suffered the atrocities and can witness that they are widespread, and then the international community does nothing and simply sends her back for more suffering.

16. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Well, thanks for answering my question at least.

17. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    I'm finally getting caught up and have to agree with the OP.

Also shocking was the rings holding the mouths shut of various handmaids. Was also very surprising to see how many children Winslow had.