The Handmaid's Tale - S3:E13 "Mayday" 081419 - season finale

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Cainebj, Aug 15, 2019 at 2:05 PM.

1. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    Obligatory - what? No thread?

Loved it - - - Other than I was a nervous wreck the ENTIRE time from the second the kids starting arriving until they got to the plane...

I just couldn't see how they were going to get through with that many kids.

I also couldn't see how they would be able to spin this for season 4 until the end and I could imagine it.

When the episode started I thought they had been caught with the kids - it took me a second to realize it was a flashback to June's original capture - I am assuming the guard who did not help her in that scene was the same guardian she shot at the end.

Very happy that Serena got re-arrested. Still don't understand how she thinks the baby could even remotely be hers or that they would ever have a life together.

Not quite sure how they all know the plane was coming - while it didn't make sense - having them there to greet the plane was a great scene.

2. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    So I forget did Commander Waterford know all along that the baby was not his and it was Nicks. This makes it interesting because Neither Commander Waterford or Serena have no biological rights to the child in Canada.
    I wonder if Canada will get involved in some sort of prisoner exchange story.

I don't see how the the Handmaid's carrying out June can go back to their houses. It seems now like they become secret rebellion actors and help people escape similar to the Civil War trail or maybe similar to the Red Dawn movie where the rebels lived in the hills and attacked the town periodically.

3. Cainebj

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I don't recall any scene where Commander Waterford was told but I thought there was a scene where it was implied he knew Nick was the father. I could be wrong about that.

My guess is they take June back to her house and the Martha's there nurse her back to health and they all go back to their own places.

I will say I am surprised the other younger Martha joined in - I thought she had been portrayed as believing in Gilead.

I am also having a momentary - which Martha got off the plane and hugged Nick? Was that the Martha in Joseph's house or was that the Martha who used to be at the Waterford's house?

4. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I thought, although they did a nifty job of building suspense, this episode fit perfectly in with this season's over-arching theme of "Let's do a whole bunch of stuff that makes no sense whatsoever and should never have any chance of working!"

At least this time they gave June a good excuse for staying behind... ;)

And considering how bugf$^! Gilead went when they lost one child, I can only imagine how they will react to this!

For all the spectacular illogic of June's plan and how it unfolded, it's nice that for really the first time in the ENTIRE BLOODY SHOW they gave us a win.

BradJW, markymark_ctown and Craigbob like this.
  5. minimeh

minimeh Vanity Phrase Here

Jun 20, 2011
    San Francisco
    I didn't make that connection, but now that you mention it, I want it to be true.
    That was Rita, the Martha who used to be at the Waterford's house.

6. Craigbob

Craigbob Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Land of...
    A good season finale, and yes finally a big win for June.

However this show is no longer the show it started out as. it's morphed into a revenge fantasy show. With the Waterfords now captured in Canada, how is June not on the wall for everything she's done? There's no need to keep her around as means of getting the baby back to Gilead, one would think that Lydia would have her strung up for her subversive behavior.

How June's plan wound up working is quite beyond me. It was barely plausible, the fact of so many kids missing (and there's no way I can believe that no alarm was raised for the other kids), and some of them were born into Gilead and know no other life and would raise hell being pulled from their families etc... just made no sense.

This also makes no sense in the context of the afterwards of the original novel, where all they really knew about June was from her found tapes. with that many people getting out June Osborne should be a household name in Canada and parts of the world not Gilead.

Ought to be interesting where Season 4 goes.

7. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    And June's sidekick for the Great Escape.

8. markp99

markp99 TakoKichi TCF Club

Mar 21, 2002
    Nashua, NH
    Happy to see the children escape, but I think seeing Gilead crumble from within would have been much more interesting.

9. Cainebj

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I am going to have to go back and watch what happened to the other Martha in the house who was the contact with all the other Martha's and/or when Rita appeared during the Great Escape.

10. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I'm sure the pilot called ahead after taking off from Gilead. That would give the Canadians plenty of time to mobilize the welcome wagon.

It was really dark, but a couple of Marthas got shot during the sequence when they were throwing rocks at the guard in the truck. I'm guessing one of them was Lawrence's Martha.

11. markymark_ctown

markymark_ctown Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2004
    C-Town
    We caught up on all 3 seasons over the last month and a half. Almost gave up after a couple episodes because it was so bleak and depressing, but glad we stuck with it since it’s such an interesting story with great acting. Finally a good news payoff at the end of season 3 too after being disapointed after the other season enders. :)

As others mentioned, Lots of ‘suspend reality’ plot lines to make this all happen, but still entertaining. My question - how did 6 handmaids get away in daylight to carry June out of the woods? :)

12. MizzouJames

MizzouJames Active Member

Jul 15, 2019
    Maybe they didn't leave the area until they found her..

13. DeDondeEs

DeDondeEs Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 20, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    That was a great ending. Although they didn't show what I thought would have been the most difficult part of June's plan, actually getting the kids on the plane without anyone noticing. If the airport had that much heavy security along the fence line, you'd think there would have been more internal security, or the person in the control tower would have noticed. But yeah, one does have to suspend reality with this show or June would have been strung up on the wall long ago.

14. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    How does Season 4 explain how June doesn't get strung up on the wall?

Also, since that one Martha brought the child to Commander Lawrence's house too early in the day and then got cold feet, the Eyes were out looking for the missing kid. How in the world did ~100 people, over half of them small children, move around through the town and the woods without anyone seeing them? Are the Eyes really that bad at doing searches? Like when the truck was driving by on the road and shining its spotlight while all the escapees hid below, what were they shining the spotlight at? Did they expect people to be hiding in the tops of the trees? And when June and Co. are throwing rocks at the guard and he's firing dozens of rounds at them, are we really supposed to believe there wasn't a single other Eye within earshot to come running when they heard gunshots? Even though they were all within sight of the plane sitting on the tarmac?

15. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Fairly early in the season there was an interview with the showrunner in which he basically said they can't kill June because she's the star of the show, therefore she can get away with anything.

And I wish I were joking, but that was the gist.

16. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Right. That's my point. Earlier this season we saw a Martha get hanged because she talked to June. Yet somehow S4 will open and 50+ kids have escaped Gilead and June is recovering from a gunshot wound, yet somehow she won't get the same punishment that anyone else in her position should get. So I'm curious to see what the explanation will be.

17. MizzouJames

MizzouJames Active Member

Jul 15, 2019
    We don't yet know who will know about her gunshot wound, though..

18. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Probably as convincing as all the other explanations for why she's not killed.

I.e., not very much at all.

DevdogAZ likes this.
  19. tivotvaddict

tivotvaddict CreativelyChallenged

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    Are the show runners right that there is no show without June? For a minute I thought she was going to die in that woods, and it seemed like a perfect end to her role. But then I don't see what Season 4 would have for story.

I felt for Lucas when he realized Hannah wasn't coming off the plane.

20. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    There are alternate paths for June:
    1) Just being a rebel handmaid
    2) Being a resistance fighter/intel person in the wild inside of Gilead
    3) Being a leader and source of intelligence from her commander experience back in Canada directing handmaids in Gilead.

So far they don't want to go down 2 and 3 but it would not surprise me to see it on the way to the endgame.