The Handmaid's Tale - S04E05 "Chicago"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by MikeekiM, May 14, 2021.

1. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area

Advertisements

Yeah... I am behind again... But I wanted to create a space for those who have watched it before me to discuss! Be back here soon!

2. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    Chicago? Texas? California? So Gilead is trying to fight a war on three fronts at once? I want to see a map.

3. dthmj

dthmj Hinky TCF Club

Mar 12, 2002
    Texas
    This is one I've seen in some Facebook groups.

[​IMG]

4. Craigbob

Craigbob Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2006
    San Antonio
    Much better episode than last week. I think that we are seeing the beginnings of Aunt Lydia's backstory in The Testaments.

Damn Lawrence is a cold-blooded b**tard.

I fully expected Jannine to follow June. I certainly did not expect Moira. I guess June is finally going to Canada.

5. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area

Advertisements

But can June really go to Canada and have this series continue? She's got to be torn here and decides to go and get her daughter back, right? I mean, her daughter was the ONLY reason she gave up her fellow handmaids hiding place, right?

IDK...maybe she does go back to Canada, and while there, forms a army of people to go back into Gilead to kidnap her daughter and bring her back to Canada???

6. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    So are the red (and arguably the pink) areas still considered "The United States of America"?

7. Balzer

Balzer Active Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Pretty sure I heard someone mention the "Republic of Texas" in a recent episode, so it sounds like the Texas area is considering itself its own country for now.

8. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Well that's my thought. Her husband and best friend are in Canada (well best friend is in Chicago now) and I can see her going to Canada and trying to drum up support to invade. Maybe she's realizing that there's no way she could fight any type of guerilla war from within the country, Gilead is just too powerful. Canada is her best bet. She's not going there to escape, but going there to get help.

9. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I just have to say (I've been wanting to for ages): You're never too old to rock and roll. And, unfortunately, you're never too young to die.

There, got that off my chest! I feel much better now.

:D

10. Craigbob

Dec 1, 2006
    San Antonio
    Hard to discuss this topic without getting into major spoiler territory about the sequel novel "The Testaments"

But in the book, June doesn't rescue Hannah. She's raised by a different family than in the series and is helped by Aunt Lydia to bring about the fall of Gilead along with her half sister Nichole (who goes by Daisy in the book).

June doesn't appear until the end of the book. turns out she was in hiding in Canada and working with Mayday.

11. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Assuming you are speaking about my tagline? From this Jethro Tull song...

12. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Why did Janine keep begging to go back to Boston? Isn't Boston controlled by Gilead? What does she think they'll be able to do if they go back to a Gilead stronghold?

13. Craigbob

Dec 1, 2006
    San Antonio
    Stockholm syndrome? It was something familiar (and if you followed the rules) relatively safe. Whereas Chicago was dangerous and unknown.

That's the only thing that I can think of.