The Handmaid's Tale - Liars - S3E11 - 7/31/19

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by dthmj, Jul 31, 2019.

1. dthmj

dthmj Hinky TCF Club

Mar 12, 2002
    Texas
    Once again, it's getting goooood.

The big question for me - Did Serena know? Did she set Fred up?

I'm sure Serena knew all along, she can't get Nicole back, and she doesn't want Nicole to grow up in Gilead. Doesn't mean she didn't want to try. Maybe she thought they could defect to Canada and raise Nicole there. I think her parting words to Rita indicated she knew they weren't coming back.

But looks like everything is about to change in the series.

Jstkiddn likes this.
  2. Aug 1, 2019 #2 of 13
    Jstkiddn

Jstkiddn Shutity up up up

Oct 15, 2003
    Great episode.

I also wonder if Serena knew, but I'm leaning towards the idea that she knew exactly what was going to happen.

3. Aug 1, 2019 #3 of 13
    robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    I think the Waterford arrest, and the disappearance of Commander Winslow (thought the dude was gay) will ruin what the Martha's are planning..

4. Aug 1, 2019 #4 of 13
    dthmj

dthmj Hinky TCF Club

Mar 12, 2002
    Texas
    I thought he was gay too, so I didn't see the attempted rape coming. I wonder why they had that scene with him sorta coming on to Fred???

5. Aug 1, 2019 #5 of 13
    Craigbob

Craigbob Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Land of...
    Damn those Marthas at Jezabel's are brutally efficient at body disposal and clean up. Makes me wonder how often they have to do that.

My thinking is that Winslow and the Waterfords disappearing at the same time, is going to take the pressure off June and Lawrence.

Since there's no body to find they have no way of knowing Winslow is dead. The Canadians are going to be very vocal about capturing the commander, and Serena, and Gilead will see it as they were defecting/escaping after killing Winslow.

I agree that things are going to change, but for the better for June and company. Lawrence will be bavk in power after the loss of two commanders.

6. Aug 1, 2019 #6 of 13
    Jstkiddn

Jstkiddn Shutity up up up

Oct 15, 2003
    Maybe he was "into" a little bit of everything? Kwim?

Robin and ThePennyDropped like this.
  7. Aug 1, 2019 #7 of 13
    dcheesi

dcheesi ...I'm not.

Apr 6, 2001
    MD, USA
    I think that's also hinted at by another thing: when she was slipping out, the Commander in the hallway definitely glanced at her, and it wasn't so dimly lit that he would have missed all the blood on her, including her face. Obviously seeing bloodied women stumbling down the hall in a daze is such a common occurrence there as to not even deserve a second glance.

That's the optimistic take, to be sure; but since when has this show rewarded such optimism?

More likely, there will be a full-scale security freak-out from the remaining PTB. It may not be directed at Lawrence's household initially, but it will surely alter many plans.

If nothing else, the bartender might be savvy enough to pick up on the time & place coincidence between her visit and Winslow's last public sighting.

8. Aug 3, 2019 #8 of 13
    tivotvaddict

tivotvaddict CreativelyChallenged

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    Equal opportunity predator

Craigbob likes this.
  9. Aug 5, 2019 #9 of 13
    Craigbob

Craigbob Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Land of...
    Oh I agree completely about the commander(s) used to seeing bloody women in Jezabel's.

True I'm being undeservedly optimistic. But we need a break some how.

I think that's going to be the most interesting aspect going forward towards the end of the season. How will Winslow disappearing and the Waterfords being captured by Canada/USA be reacted to by Giliead. I can't remember if anyone else in power really knew of the Waterford/Winslow conspiracy against Lawrence. I was under the impression it was just those two involved.

The bartender never saw June and Winslow together, and all he knows is that she's in league with the Marthas.

10. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    I decided to wait and we binged S3 up till this episode. I agree with the various IMDB ratings for each episode with the hospital kneeling being the weakest but it did lead her into the rebellion phase.

Some thoughts:
    • The Washington DC images just stick with me. The Washington monument being transformed from the message of the fight for independence and religious freedom to a cross. The Lincoln memorial which symbolized the president that eliminated slavery to scene of thousands of slaves before an eviscerated statue of Lincoln.
    • Did Nick really bail on June or does he have a deal with Canada that is hush hush.
    • Will Serena get the baby and bring it back to Gilead assuming she made the trade with Canada that June failed to make with Nick if he indeed bailed.
    • I agree that the rings in the mouth of the Washington handmaidens albeit a symbol of being married to a commander like a nun to god is a practical absurdity.
    • My wife keeps saying why don't they just kill June. They do everybody else.
    • S1 - the introduction, S2 - Get one out, S3 - get many out, S4 - ??? War

11. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    !Texas
    The usage of Cloudbusting by Kate Bush blew me away. The music on this episode was especially well done.

jtonra and dcheesi like this.
  12. sushikitten

sushikitten LivingLippy.com TCF Club

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    Do we know what the Marthas are planning? Have we heard or seen before now about all the art Lawrence had?

13. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    No. Yes.