The Green Screen of Mockery

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Markell, Sep 29, 2007.

1. Markell

Markell New Member

May 14, 2006
    Laurel
    I'm getting an odd view--a green screen with the TiVo cartoon--not "the green screen of death", but no menu options.

I have a Humax box, and the remote seems to be working: I get the red light when I press a button on it. It also seems to be recording (I got a red light from 0930 to 10, for example) and communicating with TiVo (got the orange light for some of that time).

Is there any advice on how to get the menus back? :confused:

Thanks for any advice you can give me!

Markell

2. dylanemcgregor

dylanemcgregor Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2003
    Corner of...
    I assume you have rebooted?

3. Markell

Markell New Member

May 14, 2006
    Laurel
    Sorry--I should have said that I hadn't rebooted because I was hoping for simpler advice. (I know that rebooting SOUNDS simple, but it required moving furniture and resetting a VCR...)

But it worked! Thanks very much for shaming me into it.

Does it indicate a failing hard drive? Or just a glitch in some connection?

By the way--and I certainly was curious about this--the three shows it recorded were all successful TiVo suggestions. So everything was OK behind the scenes.

4. dylanemcgregor

dylanemcgregor Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2003
    Corner of...
    My uneducated guess is that this doesn't really sound like a failing hard drive and was probably just a glitch. Just out of curiosity...is your Humax a DVD unit? I've seen a few glitches on mine like when a really dirty DVD is stuck in the player it causes the machine to go into a constant reboot cycle until the DVD is removed. I haven't seen anything like your description before, but I wouldn't worry about it unless it (or something like it) happens again.