The Great Food Truck Race (all season thread)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by CatScratchFever, Aug 16, 2011.

1. CatScratchFever

CatScratchFever Guest

Apr 14, 2011
    Prescott AZ
    Anyone else watching this? I enjoyed last year and this year look interesting as well.

2. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Yup. Tough break for the team that got eliminated, getting the flat tire and all. Looks like that set them back quite a bit. Plus, having to pay, what, $115 for a repair out of their meager $500 seed money was probably tough. There was a wide disparity in the money they made. Lime made over $3100, and the losers, what, just over $1000 or so?

I like this show. I think the introduction of the speed bump is an interesting twist, and I like it. It makes things quite a bit more unpredictable. The Seabirds (vegan truck) definitely had an advantage with the loss of propane. I'm not sure how long they will be around. Vegan might do ok in socal, but as the head North and/or East, no so much. Salt Lake City is definitely not a vegan-leaning city. I'm curious where they'll go after next week in SLC. I'm guessing Denver.

Roxy, the grilled cheese truck, won't last much longer either, IMO. The name of the truck is stupid. Names should somehow reflect what type of food they make.

3. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Doh!

I didnt think this had started just yet. I'm pulling for Hodge Podge out of Cleveland. Met Chris Hodgson on Cleveland last weekend.

4. cheerdude

cheerdude Reed & Juliet's CPA

Feb 27, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    If they finish in Miami then I would assume that Atlanta will be next-to-last episode.

5. JoBeth66

JoBeth66 Temp

Feb 15, 2002
    Kinda glad the taco truck went, and I agree that the Vegans won't be around much longer. They are kind of smug and a little holier-than-thou, IMO - and I had serious flashes to Scott Pilgrim and waiting for them to declare that they had Vegan Powers!! :)

Not sure who I'm pulling for yet, but I like the Roxy's Grilled Cheese guys.

Only 2 1/2 truck names reflect what they make - and Roxy's is one of them:

Cafe Con Leche - doesn't say Cuban to me, it says coffee.
    Devilicious - no clue
    Hodge Podge - no clue
    Korilla BBQ - ok, BBQ - but nothing says "Korean"
    Lime Truck - no clue
    Roxy's Gourmet Grilled Cheese - it says 'Grilled Cheese' in the name
    Seabirds - I'd expect fish, quite frankly
    Sky's Gourmet Tacos - Tacos. :)

6. Frylock

Frylock Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Just West...
    Wow, I felt the Roxy Cheese guys were the most obnoxious! They parked their car in front of the Lime Truck just to be jerks. If you have to do stuff like that to win, then maybe you aren't cut out to show your real skills...

7. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Bored TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I hated Roxy.
    They got a tip on a potentially good area, and when they showed up the Lime truck was already there. So Roxy got mad, acting like this is their spot.
    I am ready for them to go. Now.

8. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    I watched and was intrigued. I like the "speed bump" twist but I missed the ending, so I wasn't sure who won or went home.

What kind of food does the Lime Truck sell?

I liked Roxy's until they did the bit with parking and blocking the other truck off. That was just rude. I am a fan of all thing Boston so I was rooting for them....until that.

9. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Winner and loser, week 1...
    Lime won, with over $3100. The gourmet taco truck that got the flat tire lost, with the next-to-last-place finisher (the Boston team, Roxy's Grilled cheese) around $1100). After Roxy's rude behavior towards lime, it was cool to see Lime win and Roxy almost going home.
    Lime was described as selling California beach food. It looked pretty tasty to me.

10. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    I have a feeling the vegan team, the Seabirds, will become very annoying while they try to 'educate' us all about how much better their lifestyle is than ours.

11. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    I have to admit the Lime headbands were pretty sad though. They could have had lime green baseball hats or something.

12. dthmj

dthmj Hinky TCF Club

Mar 12, 2002
    Texas
    Hmmm - was going to make a new thread, and saw this one... (not fond of the all season threads, but that's for another debate, and I'll play along since this one is already made).

Watched Sunday's episode, and I didn't even know who the devil people were... they just didn't make an impact.

The Roxy people can go home though. Very annoying and rude.

My favorite team so far is Hodge Podge - they seem to have it all together.

I thought the coffee truck (ok, they are cuban, but I only get coffee out of their name) was basically just paid by the restaurant to serve food to their customers. bleh.

I'm not minding the vegans as much as I thought I would.

13. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Business was booming this week in SLC compared to LV. Next week should be good too. I am a bit annoyed by the editing and all the super quick cuts from one shot to another. I'd like fewer cuts, and a little more time to watch them actually cook and sell. Less time listening to Tyler talk, too. Minor nits.

I was hoping Roxy would go home, too. They've been second to last two weeks in a row now and I hope they do even worse in the next city.

I'm not sure of what I think about the vegans' choice not to use meat in the food challenge. Courageous or cowardly? I am somewhat glad they didn't get eliminated.

I thought Korilla made a smart choice in the food challenge to save the food for the elimination competition. Creative.

14. CatScratchFever

CatScratchFever Guest

Apr 14, 2011
    Prescott AZ
    I loved it when the vegans walked into the sausage place and immediately all three started to gag a little. I like them but I'm not sure I'd want to go to a party with them :)

Roxy did nothing to endear them to me this week - hope they go soon.

15. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    I'm not a vegan but I like them and their attitude. To me, this would be like asking a devout Muslim or Mormon to prepare cocktails.

I'm too lazy to look up the details but I recall an episode of The Amazing Race where the Fast Forward challenge involved eating a ton of meat. One of the racers who went for it was a vegetarian.

16. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    I thought the vegan move was a good one but didn't really like Korilla's choice of nothing. Even the vegans put something out there and I thought that was really creative. Okay, Korilla got the meat, but was it really enough to help them. Well maybe it was since they won. Still didn't like it. I am not really excited about them. As obnoxious as the Roxy gang are I find the Lime guys much worse. I will take Boston over California I guess.

17. CatScratchFever

CatScratchFever Guest

Apr 14, 2011
    Prescott AZ
    Is this the leader of the lime guys?

[​IMG]

Everytime he's on the screen I can't help but think of Jay Baruchel

18. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    Can you photoshop a lime green headband on him?

Those things are the ugliest I have seen and I can't imagine a guy wearing them.

19. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I'm not totally loving the vegan gang either. The gagging seemed a little over the top to me, but then I'm not a vegan (or a veg) so perhaps I don't know how they felt (or it was a drama move...) I thought they w/b gone this ep.

I was glad for the first elimination last week. Something about that woman I just didn't like at all.

20. CatScratchFever

CatScratchFever Guest

Apr 14, 2011
    Prescott AZ
    That woman reminded me of Dionne Warwick who I hated when she was on the Apprentice.