The Grand Tour - S1-E5 - "Moroccan Roll"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by heySkippy, Dec 15, 2016.

1. heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL

Advertisements

I finally remembered that I could watch this on Thursday evening rather than waiting until Friday. Only took 5 weeks!

I'd say they're still not completely back in the groove. I can't quite pin it down, but they feel more scripted than they used to be, less spontaneous overall.

Still, the segments were solid and the locations were great. Jeremy was cracking me up describing how great the Alfa was by telling what all was wrong with it.

I wish they could squeeze in more track time with fast cars. I never get enough of that.

2. ClutchBrake

ClutchBrake Pass the gravy!

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    Yeah, the editing is not tight at all. Celebrity bit needs to go. Conversation Street needs to be shorter (so far). The bit when Jeremy went off on his own with the Alfa went on too long. There was some decent stuff in this episode but it was too few and far between.

I think they have been given too much free rein.

3. ClutchBrake

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    OK, it is not just me. Autoblog's take on episode 5 is exactly what I'm saying, only in a nice journalistic manner. :)

Episode five of The Grand Tour suffers from pacing woes | Episode Review

4. Ozzie72

Ozzie72 Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2008
    Sums up my feelings on this ep exactly -- thanks for posting. And why the hell was James May eating throughout the entirety of the tent segments?

5. heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL

Advertisements

I think they were suggesting he was stoned and had the munchies.

6. Ozzie72

Ozzie72 Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2008
    Oh, along the lines of the kink jokes.

Ha. :rolleyes:

7. RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    Of all places in the Netherlands to host the tent, why Rotterdam? Specifically, the Port of Rotterdam? I guess they couldn't find any large enough open spots in Amsterdam?

It would be like coming to California but instead of LA or San Francisco or San Diego or any number of beautiful lakes, they instead chose Bakersfield or Fresno.

8. RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    Oh, and Battleship-but-with-Land-Vehicles was the most enjoyable part of the show. The sports car part was somewhat meh. The weighbridge skit was stupid.

9. midas

midas I heard that

Jun 1, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    I ran into a guy at a gas station that had an Alpha. I doubt it was the same model, but it was similar. I told the guy that it was a gorgeous car. His immediate response was, "It's a piece of (crap)."

I felt the same way about the Alpha in this episode. Just a beautiful piece of manure.

10. midas

midas I heard that

Jun 1, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    I agree. And I really expected to hate it. But those guys seemed to really be into it because we know they aren't that good at acting.

11. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    It always makes me laugh when an Alfa is reviewed on ANY motoring show. They are generally gorgeous to look at, but overpriced junk in reality. And this is not a new thing, they've ALWAYS been terrible. You can expect to spend at least as much time in the shop as out of it and you can sit and watch them rust at any other time!

Hammond made the 'joke' that someone may actually BUY one on the basis of Jeremy's review and how tragic that would be.

As for the show, not the best of the series so far, but by no means the worst (that honor still goes to ep 2). I liked the Battleship game and some of the review of the roadsters, but I agree that the Alfa section went on too long and achieved, well, nothing at all.

Ah well, at least the three amigos are on my TV once a week!

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  12. redrouteone

redrouteone This Space for Lease TCF Club

Jun 16, 2001
    Austin, Texas
    I want an Alfa Romeo Giulia, no way I am paying 40k for a new one. I'll buy a used one in three years for $20k and get get the extended warranty. I have another car so it is ok if it doesn't work all the time.

13. DouglasPHill

DouglasPHill Cynical old guy

Feb 10, 2005
    St Louis, MO
    Great ep, wish they would have shown a graphic of the three vehicle weights.

14. MoBoost

MoBoost Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2007
    Alfa Romeo 4C: 2465 pounds, 237 hp, 10.4 pounds/hp
    Mazda Miata 2332 pounds, 155 hp, 15.0 pounds/hp
    Zenos e10: 1550 pounds, 220 hp, 7.0 pounds/hp
    I liked the episode, particularly when they hammered on Jeremy for bringing the 4C along.

15. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I'm sitting here going "WTF is an Alpha and what did I miss?"
    Until I saw RedRouteOne.. you meant the Alfa!!!!

16. ClutchBrake

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    That really pissed me off. I would have loved to have actually watched a legitimate "review" of the cars. Learn someting about them while getting some humor and beautiful scenery thrown in. You know, like they used to do on Top Gear.

17. midas

midas I heard that

Jun 1, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    That's the British spelling :oops:

18. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Totally agree. I was really hoping that the end of the sports car segment would be power laps with the American in the Miata and the Zenos. But then Clarkson showed up and it turned into a poor attempt at comedy.

I did like the Battleship game. That was lots of fun. But since James went first, shouldn't Hammond have had one final turn?

19. DouglasPHill

DouglasPHill Cynical old guy

Feb 10, 2005
    St Louis, MO
    And as someone else mentioned previously, racing with crummy cars is always fun.

20. midas

midas I heard that

Jun 1, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    It was funny when Clarkson started talking about the guy that mortgaged his house to build the Zenos and then have to suffer watching May being the one driving it.