The Grand Tour - S1-E1 - Spoilers, Natch.

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by TonyTheTiger, Nov 17, 2016.

1. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006

Advertisements

Ok, with minor pacing issues and some silly bits, the boys are back!

Opening sequence was great and there was a LOT of the old TG feel. Of course, the showdown between the three hypercars was fun. What didn't work for me was the over-explanation of the track and the 'dead celebrities'.

Overall, looking forward to the rest of the series and I'm kinda glad I can't binge, because I'd be up all night and it would be over too soon.

2. heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    Holy crap, that was great! Even spots with pacing problems seemed to be intentional to say to us they knew.

3. osu1991

osu1991 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    kinda disappointed myself. opening and the films were great, the rest kind of sucked

4. MarkofT

MarkofT ****

Jul 27, 2001
    Where Texas...
    The fight sequence was overly long, they could have done a couple less cuts. The celebrities bit wasn't super funny, but it did leave me wondering if they'll actually have one or if it was their way to kill the idea of celebrities on the show.

I liked the bit about the track. I do wonder if anyone will step up for "Your name here corner". Nice workaround for the Stig too.

5. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006

Advertisements

I was wondering if the dead celebs was going to be a running gag. I guess time will tell on that one.

6. Big Deficit

Big Deficit Happy now?

Jul 7, 2003
    Nice to have Top Gear back! Not perfect, a few bits went too long, Jeremy looks like he's in his third trimester, the table and chairs they sit at look...janky? Hopefully, they'll get the celebrity bit together moving forward so I can easily skip past oit like I did on the old show. Still, it has what that copycat version this past spring missed....many horsepowers and poo jokes. They miss stated the American driver's name too. As any NASCAR watcher from back in the day knows, he's Mike Spinner! They spent a lot of money, and it showed.

7. Craigbob

Craigbob Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Land of...
    Top Gear is back.... Well sort of. It's great to have the boys back. The chemistry between them was sorely lacking in the revamped BBC version. Like many I thought the show was great, but had a few bits that went on too long (Fight/Celebs). But as this is a new show so to speak I'll let the slide. I liked how they handled the Stig issue, and all in all it's not as different as I'd heard it was going to be.

Can't wait for the rest of the season.

8. DouglasPHill

DouglasPHill Cynical old guy

Feb 10, 2005
    St Louis, MO
    The expectations for this show were so high am not sure it was possible to reach them in reality. Good show, it caused me to sign up for Amazon Prime (that was the goal for Amazon), will keep watching.

9. kbmb

kbmb Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    Overall a nice start to the new series.

On a side note.....I thought the show looked fantastic on my 1080p tv using the Amazon app on my TiVo. Puts my crappy Comcast signal to shame.

Curious, anyone here watch it in 4K? If so, how was it?

-Kevin

10. purwater

purwater I make tasty water

Aug 25, 2005
    SW Virginia
    It was like an old comfortable chair. As soon as the short, ape, slow jabs started it was back. I don't think anything can live up to the expectations, but once they do a couple of shows and settle on some of the bits it'll be great. I've probably looked forward to this premiere more than any other show.

heySkippy likes this.
  11. kbmb

kbmb Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    I have to say the 2 areas I'm most disappointed are the track and the Stig replacement. Mike Skinner?!? Really that's the best they could get? I watched it being a little embarrassed. As for the track, I think the biggest letdown is the overall size, especially when/if they start having more cars on the track at once. The large runway straight will be missed for getting the cars up to max speed.

-Kevin

12. GoPackGo

GoPackGo Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2012
    AZ
    I really don't think Mike Skinnner will be a regular driver for them.

13. kbmb

kbmb Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  14. heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    FWIW, that first link of yours is NSFW.

15. kbmb

kbmb Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    Updated.

16. Tobashadow

Tobashadow Read over there --->

Nov 11, 2006
    Loved the intro, Unlike most of you I think Mike Skinner is a good fit. He can drive very good and I do like how he's vocal, (which he is in real life lol) that adds a bit more to the show in my opinion.

17. DeDondeEs

DeDondeEs Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    I enjoyed the episode. I like the concept of the show traveling around. I thought the celebrity introductions were pretty funny. Not liking Mike Skinner so far, if they seriously wanted someone American, couldn't they have gotten Jeff Gordon or Michael Waltrip? The Ferrari v. McClaran v. Porsche races were sort of lame where they all finished first equally. I am sure that was some compromise because one of the companies still don't want them to straight up race, probably Ferrari.

I watched it on my iPad and thought the quality was really good. I also enjoyed the Amazon X-Ray feature where when you tapped on the screen it gave you info about the presenters or other folks on the screen and tidbits about whatever cars they were driving.

18. markb

markb Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2002
    San Diego
    Their new track is at an abandoned airport, though. Looks like they have three runways they might be able to use.

Google Maps

19. midas

midas I heard that

Jun 1, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    I really enjoyed it. I especially enjoyed the ending.

20. kbmb

kbmb Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    Nice find! Didn't even think to look it up.

EDIT: Looks like the old main runway was about 6,000ft and the new tracks main runway is about 4,500ft.......so they'll have to break a bit sooner ;)

-Kevin

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016