The Good Wife "Closing Arguments" 5/17/2011

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by hummingbird_206, May 18, 2011.

1. hummingbird_206

hummingbird_206 Retired

Aug 22, 2007
    Valley of...
    Season finale, dang it!

So Peter sent the bloody glove? At least that's what I figured it meant when he was shown tearing up the tracking receipt in the hallway after the mistrial.

Will and Alicia in the Presidental Suite? Are they really going to do it? Guess we'll find out next season.

I really like Kalinda and Alicia working together. Hope they get back to that.

And there will definitely be more Eli, yippee! Love the actor and the Eli character.

2. efilippi

efilippi Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2001
    Mundelein, Il
    Yes, really good show. And speaking of characters, don't you just love to hate grandma? Yikes.

I also like Alicia's brother and hope we see more of him.

3. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Great episode, but, the build up and the speculation that something HUGE was going to happen, and it turned out be Alicia and Will. All that was pretty much spoiled in all the commercials for the episode. I found the court case far more interesting than the supposed twist and Kalinda working with the DNA girl and feeling guilty about almost sleeping with her when she found out she was married.

Yeah, Grandma is creepy.

4. hummingbird_206

hummingbird_206 Retired

Aug 22, 2007
    Valley of...
    Ugh, yes, I hate Grandma.

I like the bro, too. I thought he moved off somewhere. Guess I missed his return.

Kalinda and DNA girl (can't remember her name) did have sex. They were starting round 2 when the hubby called. I feel sorry for Kalinda. So much for a guilt free existence.

5. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    Unfortunately the two make a great dynamic duo, and I think they realize that. As much as Alicia might not want to work with Kalinda, she likes winning cases more.

6. IJustLikeTivo

IJustLikeTivo Active Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    Alicia just lost the moral hight ground anyway. I really hate the ending. I think that's out of character, especially given what just happened. She's always been the moral anchor of her family and she just threw that away.

7. robojerk

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    I don't think Alicia is doing anything wrong. Technically, she was happily married to her husband and probably hadn't thought of her old college fling Will in a long time. Her husband cheated on her and went to prison and she only sought out Will for a job. As time went on she was falling more and more out of love with her husband, then finding he also cheated on her with Kalinda was the final straw. She doesn't trust her hubby anymore, because there's probably more secrets we're not aware of yet.

Her getting with Will might be a little out of taste since it happened so quick after she kicked her hubby out and she also should be taking care of her kids, but I don't think she did anything immoral.

8. Agatha Mystery

Agatha Mystery Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    Alicia is separated from her husband. I don't see that she did anything wrong. Her failure to file for divorce, or a permanent separation at this point is two-fold: one - to protect her children, and two - to protect her assets.

I found it interesting that there have been several occasions on their way up to the room to allow Alicia to back out. I like the fact that she was determined to go through with it.

Kalinda always likes to live her life uncomplicated. Since she trusts no one, she just complicates her life even more. I think Kalinda is in love with Alicia, but knows that it will never be returned. I think she wants the best for her, now that hse knows her, and that is why she told Will about the separation.

I think Eli bringing his business to Lockhart/Gardner is solely to put pressure on Alicia to get her and Peter back together. Politically, Alicia is good for him. Heck, policitcally, Alicia would kick his butt if she were to run. And Grandma is just creepy. She's stalking the family at this point. I hope Alicia's brother tells what's going on.

9. robojerk

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    In grandma's eyes, Alicia is the ***** that broke her baby boy's heart and is keeping the kids away from her.

10. efilippi

efilippi Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2001
    Mundelein, Il
    Is a mother's love really that blind?

11. IJustLikeTivo

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    I'm not a moral absolutest but she kicked her husband out but hasn't filed or asked for divorce. If she wants one, she should ask then feel free to cheat. What she has done instead is abandon her value, sleep with her boss and precipitated a messy divorce that is sure to hurt her children. Good television but bad writing and not in character with how they have written her so far.

I actually found all the delays annoying. They keep teasing that she'd be moral just so that when she wasn't it was more "shocking". Cheap way to try and have it both ways.

I think Kalinda might be in something but heat seems more like it. I was a bit surprised at how they wrote the scene with the other investigator. Kalinda seem like the one nighter type who wouldn't care about her being married. Maybe the shell is an act.

Grandma is beyond creepy.

12. hummingbird_206

hummingbird_206 Retired

Aug 22, 2007
    Valley of...
    I agree that it's out of character for Alicia as she's always been, but she just found out that her hubby cheated with the woman who has become her best friend. They weren't friends when the cheating happened, but this is a huge blow to Alicia and I think that it's very in character to do something so out of character after learning something that painful.

I think that before Kalinda became friends with Alicia that Kalinda didn't care about a one nighter with a married person. She even told Alicia that she didn't think about the stay at home wife. But I think the friendship with Alicia opened Kalinda's eyes to the hurt that she caused Alicia and she doesn't like how that makes either of them feel.

13. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Not to mention that she and Will were drunk, and the feelings have been perculationg for awhile. They almost did do it one other time. With them separated and him cheating more than once, I don't see any kind of moral character flaw.

14. IJustLikeTivo

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    Ok, so being drunk makes it moral. Have to give that logic a big old :rolleyes:

It's been said that being drunk reveals your true self. If that is Alicia's true self, I like her character less now.

15. WO312

WO312 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Finger...
    I agree with you. Love the show, though. I'm thinking that when Alicia is actually in the room, she will come to her senses and not do anything.

16. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    People who are legally separated date. It's not considered cheating.
    Alicia is separated, but not legally, in part because she doesn't want their separation to be public knowledge. You are being a moral absolutest. I'm not saying it's wrong to have that philosophy. Alicia waited until she was separated to hook up with Will.

I find it hard to believe, even in the context of the show, that Alicia is so naive as to think Peter only cheated X times (I forgot the exact number) with the call girl. No other times with the call girl. No other call girls. No other women.

17. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    No, being drunk is not an excuse for morality, true, but I think it contributed to her decision, at least lowered her inhibitions. While not "legally" separated, they are essentially separated, and he already cheated on her more than once. Does it make her any better than him? Arguable. But it's not like she's a floozy who is sleeping around either. She almost cheated with Will once. Knowing her husband IS sleeping around lowered her inhibitions more.

An interesting juxtaposition between her and Kalinda, who now feels guilty about sleeping with someone who's married while Alicia feels less guilty about sleeping with someone WHILE married. I bit of a role reversal.

I still like Alicia's character. I think it shows that she's human, and that she has the same failings that many people have.

And, we really still don't know if they actually "did it". She might get into the room and realize that it's not in her to "cheat".

18. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    That's pretty much how I feel. I know in other threads we've had the "moral" discussion. I think that line is different with people. I bet a lot of the people who think what Alicia did was morally wrong have done other immoral things in their own life...perhaps had pre-marital sex, or something else.

19. Agatha Mystery

Agatha Mystery Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    They had 2 shots. That's not drunk.

20. robojerk

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    Hypothetical: They were in court all day and had nothing to eat. 2 shots could do you in if you're running on empty.