The Good Place - The Final Chapter - 01/30/2020

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by TriBruin, Jan 30, 2020.

1. TriBruin

TriBruin Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 10, 2003
    Bartlett, IL
    Now that is how you do a series finale. I don't think I could come up with anything wrong with the episode. Even the title card (The Final Chapter) brought a tear to my eye.

I loved how they brought so much closure to the show. While it was nice to get see many of the minor characters, they were only a small part of the show. Each of the main characters was given a proper good-bye in their own way.

I will miss this show quite a bit.

lynncosbm likes this.
  2. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    And if they don't do a blu-ray series set, they can just go straight to the Bad Place! The old Bad Place, with the full array of tortures!

3. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    That was lovely. Just lovely. I'm going to need a Bearimy.

4. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I was going to say that "it's been a long time since I've seen a series finale that I'd describe as perfect," but on second thought, I don't think there has ever been a series finale that I'd describe as perfect. I think even the best of them has at least one flaw in there somewhere.

I don't think there was a flaw here at all. It was perfect. I don't think I could come up with anything better even if I had a million Jeremy Bearimys. It was sad, funny, sweet, poignant.... all of it.

We even got a brief moment with literally nearly everyone who has been on the show. (Man, the call sheet for the episode must have been like a mile long.) And yet, even with the show giving a moment to all those characters and their actors, it didn't feel like we were being cheated for time spent saying goodbye to the main cast.

Outstanding.

5. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    I really am going to have to sit with this for a bit.

I had saved a few links about the finale to read afterwards, like this one at EW. In it, KB says this of the series capper:

“It satisfies a hundred out of 10,” declares Bell. “I anticipate when people are done watching the finale, they will turn the TV off and sit there for five minutes in silence. I know that sounds dramatic, but that’s what I think will happen.”

I don't think I did that, because NBC shoved us right into the live show with the cast -- although I don't know how much attention I paid to it. But I'm having sort of a delayed reaction version of that now. I'm packing for a weekend trip and have just been sort of lost in my own thoughts as I do so.

6. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    Loved it, great satisfying episode. The fine line of the show with Michael didn't really land for me, but that's OK. I would have rather it ended going through the final door and ending. I didn't hate it or anything, just didn't think it was necessary or added anything, and I was a bit confused as to what "take it sleezy" was supposed to mean. I guess it's just something Eleanor would have said.

7. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    It was established earlier in the series as a line Michael, were he human, would have loved to say to someone.

changk, Robin and tim1724 like this.
  8. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    So much good stuff in there that it's hard to choose the highlights.
    (Although Nick Offerman teaching Tahani wood working comes would be one.)

kettledrum, keirgrey and photoshopgrl like this.
  9. TriBruin

TriBruin Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 10, 2003
    Bartlett, IL
    I vaguely remember the line (or at least it is definitely something Eleanor would have said, I didn't remember the restaurant that Micheal got the membership to. However, this was obviously a sign that, regardless of what happened when Eleanor walked through the door, a little part of her was always going to be with Micheal.

10. wouldworker

wouldworker _

Sep 7, 2004
    MA, USA
    In an early episode Michael said that he wanted to feel human. He wanted to get a rewards card. He wanted to have a brief conversation and end it with "Take it sleazy". He wanted to eat a saltine, and do a host of other human things. He got to try the saltine in that episode ("too salty") but the others had to wait. That's why he was so happy to get what seemed to us to be a perfectly mundane piece of mail.

changk, photoshopgrl, tim1724 and 4 others like this.
  11. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    That was a great ending. Congratulations to Team Cockroach!
    I don’t know if I can listen to the podcast right now, but I will.

12. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    There's a good anecdote in the podcast regarding that scene.

13. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I loved it, but...I probably missed it (and have to rewatch), but, if they were in "The Good Place" and we already established what 'The Bad Place" was, then what is where Elanor, Chiti and Jason went? Is that purgatory? Is it just some type of end of existence? That's the only part I wasn't really clear on.

As for Michael, I am pretty sure his connection to Elanor was that he wound up in Phoenix. He mentioned "It's hot but a dry heat" and the landscape around him looked like that area. Hopefully he won't end up the jerk that Elanor was on earth. I loved his name "Michael Realman"

It was really sad to see this end. This is what a comedy should be. Really funny and smart too, without the forced darkness we see on so many so called comedies these days.

14. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    A place where their journey will end and they'll be at peace. And that nobody really knows what happens, which they made a point that even Janet didn't know.

Steveknj likes this.
  15. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    You mean after the go through the doorway? It's not explicit, but they seem to become one with the universe...and they apparently exist in some form enough to influence people back on Earth.

Steveknj likes this.
  16. Sparty99

Sparty99 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Ferndale, MI
    I'm terrible with spotting Easter Eggs, but loved seeing The Judge in an East Dillon t-shirt.

17. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    That's how I took it too. The one thing I guess I had a hard time with is them wanting to go there and why, or them introducing that concept. They would be leaving people they loved to go there, so there had to be something very special about it. Probably nitpicking but I guess I would have liked an explanation as to why "it was time".

Other than that, it was great. Among the top finales I've seen, especially for a sitcom.

stellie93 likes this.
  18. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    It's just that spending eternity in heaven is boring. You run out of things to do, reasons to keep going on. That's why heaven was such a hell when they first got there (nobody had arrived in centuries, and the people already there had all gotten bored, with no hope of ever being anything but even more bored), and why they invented "post-heaven" to give people an escape when they're ready.

19. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    The basic idea that I took is that they, as a unique person, might cease to exist, but the "good" that they put into the universe can never go away. It just gets put back into the universe and encourages others to do "good" as well.

kettledrum, changk, gweempose and 2 others like this.
  20. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I think that if I were Chidi, I would have stayed around and lived with Kristen Bell for another few hundred thousand more Bearimies..

ehusen, changk, Maui and 2 others like this.