The Good Place "The Ballad of Donkey Doug" (S3 E6, OAD 10/25/2018) Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by jsmeeker, Oct 26, 2018.

1. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas

Advertisements

Last week, I expressed my concern about not being able to see Janet just pop up out of nowhere. "Hi there. I'm Janet". But they handle this problem quite well.

Bing!

:D

I love this show.

P.S. Pill Boi!!!!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  2. kdelande

kdelande TiVo-Wobble

Dec 17, 2001
    Louisville,...
    Thought this was the weakest episode of the show’s entire run.

Love the show but it doesn’t seem to know what to do with itself at this point.

TIVOSciolist, Tony_T, jr461 and 3 others like this.
  3. tim1724

tim1724 Active Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Temple City, CA
    My least favorite episode of the season, but it was still funny. I'm not usually a fan of Jason stuff, especially his friends (or family, I guess) on earth, but this one managed to get some funny stuff in.

The Janet ("bing!") scenes and the Chidi/Simone stuff was a lot more entertaining.

4. BrettStah

BrettStah Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    I loved this episode... So funny!

5. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...

Advertisements

You have to tell us if you're the cops. Yes, we're the cops...
    :D

jsmeeker likes this.
  6. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    I'm sad that they had not opened up the Randy "Macho Man" Savage terminal last time I was in Jacksonville airport.

DevdogAZ, Steveknj and verdugan like this.
  7. spear

spear Member

Oct 11, 2006
    "Pillboi" Yep, name checks out.

kettledrum likes this.
  8. stile99

stile99 Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2002
    I also thought this was the weakest episode, but I'm not ready to say they don't know what to do now*. Anything Jason-centric is going to be weak because he's a one-note character (he is literally "Florida Man" incarnate). Love Manny Jacinto, he's an excellent actor because he is absolutely NOT Jason but plays him so well.

*That said, I'm a little concerned that the direction seems to be "We're screwed, let's see if we can at least help others in the meantime".

tim1724 likes this.
  9. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    This show is like the weather. If you don't like it, just wait a few minutes...it'll change. :D

DevdogAZ, tim1724, 59er and 2 others like this.
  10. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    Yes, but this season has been the weakest and this episode took another step down.

Funny when this show debuted to 13 episode seasons, I thought it could be tight for many years, but they seem to be running out of ideas.

11. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Bookmarking all this negativity for later...

12. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    I'll take a Jason heavy story line over a Chiddi one any day of the week. I've really come to like that character a lot.

13. mlsnyc

mlsnyc Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 2, 2009
    I think this show is as good as it’s ever been, and was laughing hard throughout this episode. Donkey Doug turning out to be Jason’s dad was a good development, and the Jason-Pillboy interactions are always a riot. That sad goodbye handshake routine at the end was fantastic.

DancnDude, jsmeeker and BrettStah like this.
  14. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    I agree... still loving this show. I am completely not worried that they've run out of ideas.

Loved everything Eleanor did in this episode: all hilarious. Her "what ... is ... happening" with Simone was just the best.

15. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    The episode had some laughs, but I agree that it's the weakest episode of the series thus far. It's the first time during the show's entire run that I felt like I was just watching a typical sitcom instead of "The Good Place". I still have faith that Michael Schur has a grand plan, though, and that this season is heading towards something extraordinary.

16. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    Ha ha. My opinions are subject to change.

It's too early tell for sure if this is a trend or slump and haven't given up on the show. It's still the best half hour on network TV.

17. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    The airport exterior scene was filmed in front of the "convention center" area of the Marriott hotel that's across the street from the Burbank airport.

18. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Hehe.. I've actually stayed at that hotel :)

19. jr461

jr461 Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2004
    Northern NJ
    Agree with these and the other similar sentiments. Jason in small (as small as possible) doses - tolerable. This episode was just awful and I too am concerned about how they get it back on track.

20. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I love Jason. He is super dumb but you can see why he survives (except when he dies for lack of air). Pillboi is okay. Donkey Doug is just too stupid. I don’t see how he lived this long.

Jason’s stupidity is that of a child. All wonder and misunderstanding. His dad is just dumb.