The Good Place | SE03E13 | "Pandemonium" | OAD 1/24/2019

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cmontyburns, Jan 24, 2019.

1. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent. TCF Club

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX

Advertisements

I find myself watching episodes of this show more than once to get the full appreciation of them, and I expect to do that with this finale. So I'll likely have more thoughts later, but I wanted to at least get the conversation going and see what everyone else's reaction to this season-ender was.

• Overall, I thought this was some high-level television. Simplicity on top of massive complexity, funny, romantic, dramatic, erudite, sad... Not the best episode the show has done or anything, and it didn't massively reset the show the way past season finales have done (probably for the best), but still a satisfying end to the season.
    • Last week, I found myself beyond delighted to see the Soul Squad in the Medium Place with all these recurring characters together at the same time: Sean, the Judge, Mindy, Derek. I'm fond of all of them and think it's so smart and clever of the show to weave them in an out of the narrative, never treating them as disposable, and bringing them back when needed. I felt similarly when Eleanor opened the office door in this one and there was Simone. I loved Kirby Howell-Baptiste in the role earlier this year, and how wonderful that they found a way to bring her back, and in a function that is truly impactful to the show.
    • People like Sepinwall have said they're not sure they care enough about the Eleanor-Chidi romance for it to have become so central to the show. I probably agree in that I don't find myself 'shipping them, but I enjoy a good romance and I think the show has done a good job with their on-and-off relationship overall. Which is a way of saying that the emphasis on it here, including the emotionally manipulative memory movie in the town square, really worked on me. I don't necessarily care about the relationship and yet I was sad for what happened to it here, and kind of in awe of the sacrifice Chidi made. I think that means the show is doing something right. (And KB is so good at that kind of stuff. I never cry at anything and she almost got my waterworks activated.)
    • One minor flaw is that Jason didn't have much to do here, and for one of the first times I felt like it made Manny Jacinto's acting a little obvious. Usually I think his stylized obliviousness plays pretty naturally, but in this episode it kind if felt like he was trying to put a little mustard on the few lines he had (especially in his expressions) because he wasn't given a lot to do.

I'm sad the season is over, but I suppose a silver lining is that the next time we see Kristen Bell, we'll have new Veronica Mars to tide us over.

2. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    Jeremy Bearimy, baby.

3. cmontyburns

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    That was a good line. :)

4. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    I liked it. I think it sets up really well for next season. I'm curious who they could get to torture Jason next season.

I love that Chidi's ex is being brought back, she was great earlier in the season. I suppose that could bring up a love triangle, which I'm not that excited about.

Janet's advice was on point.

5. getbak

getbak Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Calgary, AB

Advertisements

I liked the bit where Eleanor said "for a robot, you're becoming a really good girlfriend" and Janet responded, "I'm only one of those three things."

Awww, she's her friend.

6. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    Speculation: By the end of the series, Janet will be running everything.

7. Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    Shoot, I even got a laugh out of the episode description that appeared on the TiVo

8. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    More food puns-
    Sushi and the banshees
    Beignet and the Jets
    :D:D:D

Season finale? What a bunch of cork blorkers! But I do appreciate how the curse filter maintains the rhyme-nice attention to detail! ;)

Got awfully dusty during Michael's movie he made for Eleanor and Chidi...

mattack, photoshopgrl and stellie93 like this.
  9. cmontyburns

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Foot Lager!

tim1724 and Regina like this.
  10. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    It's impressive how moving that was...

11. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Great episode. And the podcast for this episode is also excellent, with Mike Schur and Ted Danson as guests.

Can't believe the season is over already and now we have to wait many months before we get more. I like that they stuck to their guns and kept this show at 13 episodes per season, as I'm sure that plays a big part in the quality, but it doesn't make it any easier to wait out the long breaks.

I was kind of surprised we didn't see Derek or have any issues with the "people" he helped Janet create. But I guess his brand of wackiness wouldn't really fit with the feeling of this episode.

12. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    Hi Chidi my name is Elenor. Come on in. Sigh.

13. stile99

stile99 Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2002
    One of the original four is now one of the new four, with his ex from when he was on Earth the second time (that he nor she remembers, but the new Architect does) one of the other new four. Oh, and the new Architect is one of the original four.

I'd say this qualifies as a pretty big reset.

14. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Wait, I don't think Chidi is one of the new four, is he? Since Sean and Co. are picking the new humans, I don't think they'd agree to give up one of their spots. So my understanding is there will be five new humans next season - the four chosen by the Bad Place, plus Chidi.

kettledrum, Agatha Mystery and Robin like this.
  15. realityboy

realityboy Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I believe you’re correct because Michael said that the Judge would let them welcome the other two humans the next morning.

16. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Yeah, clearly Eleanor is not the new Architect; she doesn't have it in her (literally). She's just pretending, to cover for Michael (who remains the actual Architect).

17. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I don't think that was up for debate. The question is whether we'll see two more new humans next season, or just one. I'm pretty sure we'll see two. In fact, I'm pretty sure Mike Schur said on the podcast that they hadn't cast the other two humans at the time this episode was filmed, but that they are now starting to work on S4 so that will need to be done soon.

18. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Well, that wasn't in question...they explicitly said in the show that there would be two more people showing up the next day...

19. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Well, apparently someone thought it was in question, which is why we've been discussing it.

20. stile99

stile99 Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2002
    She is, "for now". They detailed that plan in the episode, Michael is supposedly her assistant and when he gets it together, it will transaction back to him. In the meantime, she is absolutely being portrayed to the new inhabitants as the Architect. They even made it a point to say that claiming Janet as the Architect would have been a better idea.