The Good Place S1E1 - "Pilot" and S1E2 - "Flying" (9/20/16)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Maui, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL

Advertisements

I have to say I had high hopes for the show based on what I had seen and an affinity for both Kristen Bell and Ted Danson and this show did not disappoint. I really enjoyed it and got more than a few chuckles out of each episode. Bell is great in the role of the woman mistakenly allowed in to The Good Place by Ted Danson's character.

There was even times I had to pause the screen to read some of the points both positive and negative) assigned to certain actions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead TCF Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Thanks for posting those charts. They are hilarious.

3. midas

midas I heard that

Jun 1, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    I really enjoyed it. I hadn't read anything about this show so I had no clue what the concept was. There were some really funny bits. But I suspect every week we'll see - tries to be good - screws up and does something selfish - disaster occurs - Ted Danson goes a little crazier.

4. midas

midas I heard that

Jun 1, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    BTW, those charts are great. Love how being commissioner of a football league is worse than sexual harassment.

5. frombhto323

frombhto323 Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Washington, DC

Advertisements

LOL, rooting for the Yankees is -99. Ha!

I like this show so far.

6. DreadPirateRob

DreadPirateRob Seriously?

Nov 11, 2002
    SoCal
    They had me at "starring Kristen Bell" and "created by Mike Schur". I'm in no matter what.

7. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    But barely! :D

I'm in for now. I'm not a fan of sitcoms in general, but I have liked several of these new-style one-camera versions. And this one is edgy enough to make me happy. It even has tons of profanity!

8. Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    Bullshirt!!

Ack just noticed that I had todays date instead of yesterdays.

9. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    That's OK. It's always tomorrow somewhere. Or yesterday. I always get them mixed up...

10. ehusen

ehusen Geek not Nerd

Jan 7, 2002
    Chicago Suburbs
    I too enjoyed it. But I also worry that it will get repetitive. But so far it's a fun little show. A half hour show is pretty easy to keep on the list since it's like only 20 minutes of actual show. Long live the DVR.

Ted Danson kicking the dog into the sun. Too funny. Then rebuilding the "construct" and letting slip that the dog really doesn't love its owner.

11. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I don't think this show is my thing. I like Kristen Bell, and will probably continue to give the show a little more leeway than I normally would because of her.

12. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I loved it. It has been a while since a new sitcom grabbed me like this.

And I have been thinking. Maybe it wasn't completely a mistake. Yes, Mike got her data wrong but maybe the issue is that she is supposed to be (whatever his name is)'s soul mate and Mike just pulled the wrong data.

I cannot for the life of me understand why her next door neighbor got in. Shallow!

13. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    The show seemed to be going out of it's way to sell that point to the audience, probably to get the audience thinking either "maybe there's more than one person that doesn't belong there" or perhaps "maybe it's *not* Eleanor that is the one that shouldn't be there."

14. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    I do like Bell and Danson, but I only found this show mildly amusing. I'm not sure what I was expecting.

I did think the positive and negative screens were humorous. But, going by their standards, I'd pretty much be forked. But, it looks like Lincoln did pretty well.

I might have scored a few points on the David Bowie media non-post, though.

15. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    Well, it seems like "the good place" is all about actions and not attitude. At least according to the charts above.

You'd think "kicking small dog into sun" would be about -10,395. :D How does he still have his job?

16. andyw715

andyw715 Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Kristen is so cute!

17. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Yeah, it takes a special kind of cuteness to make such a repulsive character likable... :D

18. getbak

getbak Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    They almost have to do something like that for the show to have any longevity.

It will get repetitive pretty quickly if it's just "please help me fit in here", while everyone else is perfect every episode.

19. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    No, people like myself will watch it every week if they just keep Bell on-screen. She doesn't even have to move, just smile once in a while, or do that cute frown-face thing.

But seriously, there's lots of stuff they can do to advance a plot; we've got lots of hints there's way more going on than meets the eye, as has been mentioned up-thread. It will all depend on how brave and creative the writers can be. So far so good.

20. EWiser

EWiser Active Member

Oct 2, 2008
    After watching the shows found it was just trying to hard to be different
    The whole clothes changing to yellow and blue stripes. Just don't see it getting enough viewers to stay on the air long.