The Good Place | S04E12 | OAD 1/23/2020 | "Patty" | *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cmontyburns, Jan 23, 2020.

1. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    I've posted many times that I always watch episodes of this show more than once to get the full sense of them. That's definitely going to be needed here, because I think I spent enough time processing the idea behind this episode that I didn't pay as close attention to the execution of them as I might usually do. Was this a funny episode? No idea. I think there was humor in it but the big idea kept crowding it out in my mind.

The big idea, of course, is the concept that if the afterlife is fundamentally flawed, as the show has spent time showing, then it can't just be flawed at the bottom; it must be flawed all the way up. That conclusion is fair, smart and completely consistent with the logic of the show, and I find it brilliant. The solution the gang arrived at is even more logical. It's also incredibly sad, both in the general sense of how people generally conceive of the afterlife and also for what it portends about how the series will end next week. On reflection, maybe it is that last part that has kept me distracted from the minutiae of the episode. If that's what happens, it is probably the proper series capper, but it's going to leave me in a pile.

A few comments on details I did pay attention to:

Always good to see Lisa Kudrow.

As the gang was figuring out how to fix the Good Place, Chidi referred to the Bad Place as "Hell". That did stick out, as the show has so assiduously avoided non-secular terminology.

You know the good place is messed up if even Jason figures it out right away.

Stupid Nick's Wing Dump! One of the better Florida jokes of the series. Glad to get the callback here, with visual.

2. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    !Texas
    Who called it when they said in a previous thread that the actual Good Place would suck?
    Nailed it.
    Any theories on how this all ends?

3. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    This episode reminds me a lot of the Twilight Zone episode "A Nice Place to Visit" (S01E28), where a thief goes to the afterlife and gets handed everything he wants and slowly realizes that he's really in Hell...

Now, I'm not suggesting that these people are really in the Bad Place, but it's an interesting idea that even paradise could be boring...

4. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    How in the flying &#%@ can they cast Lisa Kudrow as Hypatia of Alexandria?!?

AND MAKE IT WORK?!?!?!?

:D

5. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    We already did that in season 1. If they do it again they'll have to put a twist on it.

6. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    In the foyer/lobby of The Good Place, they had pacifiers or something in a bowl and the sign in front of the bowl said something to the effect of "Fully understand Twin Peaks" - I laughed so hard I had to rewind! :D:D:D

Robin, jami, lynncosbm and 1 other person like this.
  7. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Maybe ultimately it's proof that you can't ever satisfy human's thirst for curiosity, adventure, adversity. But it's also a major disappointment when you work so hard all your life to get to the ultimate goal in the afterlife and you get there, and it's just boring. Why? because humans miss the pursuit of it all.

But....this could be a Sean revenge scenario..make The Good Place suck and have them WANTING to be in The Bad Place, and then he's got them. Remember, they know that whatever Michael is put in charge of turns to crap. And also, we know our protagonists were "essentially" bad people on earth, and even with playing up a whole season of "redemption", do they actually deserve eternal happiness?

Or, maybe we are all overthinking this whole thing and it's just entertainment, and funny :) Yeah, I think I'll go with this :)

stellie93 likes this.
  8. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    Various conversations will occur between various groups of people...

I hear.

9. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Spoiler!

10. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    !Texas
    that description came from a Neutral Janet.

Agatha Mystery and tim1724 like this.
  11. ehusen

ehusen Geek not Nerd

Jan 7, 2002
    Chicago Suburbs
    Hmmmm, I have a very uncomfortable feeling that the show is going to end with them all going through that door to some sort of next level unknown afterlife. Is it truly actual death then? Reincarnation? Or something else? We won't know cause the show is over...

It would avoid dealing with just leaving these characters in some sort of "eternal" afterlife until an ending of their own choosing.

Honestly, it seemed like this last episode was a finale of sorts. With Chidi saying that Heaven is really just having enough time with loved ones.

It took forever to fix the bad place and they fix the good place in one episode? :)

12. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    It seemed like it was a really bad and unsatisfying finalé.* Which makes me kinda eager to see where they go from here!

*Good episode, but bad finalé.

13. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    I think the episode was pretty specific what happens. You’re dead-dead. There is no next.

Also, they didn’t fix the Bad Place. They fixed the system by which people are apportioned to one Place or another.

14. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    No, Michael specifically said they don't know what comes next.

15. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    I got that they don't know HOW it happens but that it's pretty clear that once through the door your essence ceases to exist.

16. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    "What will happen when we go through it? Well, we don't really know, exactly. All we know is, it will be peaceful, and your journey will be over."

17. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    Your effective double negative through me for a second. Almost posted the Sports Night quote about secular vs non-secular before rereading what you posted and processing it correctly.

But they did so by making the Bad Place a reincarnation loop where people are psychologically (as opposed to physically) tortured until they change enough to move up to the Good Place. So they at least radically changed the Bad Place; even if you want to argue that they didn't "fix" it.

18. Ruth

Ruth Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Anchorage,...
    After this was over, I had to double check to make sure it wasn't the series finale. It would have been a little too neat & tidy, but I think a lot of shows would have ended with Chidi's speech about time and love, fade to black, goodbye. But of course this isn't most shows. So interested to see what they do in the actual finale!

19. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Maybe when they go through the door they just end up in the Bad Place as punishment for not being grateful they were sent to the Good Place.

20. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Heh. You can take the demon out of the Bad Place, but you can't take the Bad Place out of the demon. :D