The Good Place | S04E04 | “Tinker, Tailor, Demon, Spy” | OAD 10/17/2019 | *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cmontyburns, Oct 19, 2019.

1. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX

Advertisements

First, credit to @LoadStar for a partially correct prediction (or a correct one paired with an incorrect one).

2. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    At the end of the ep, when Michael and Jason (and the barrel, contents: 1 Glenn) were on the handcart, I barely recognized Jason-he cleans up nice! :D:D:D

3. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Heh - yeah, I noticed the change in Janet a little bit when she added the highlight in the hair. I really noticed in the last episode with some of the interactions with Tahani, when she didn't really hide very well how she was trying to screw up Tahani's attempts with John.

They didn't really say what they did with Bad Janet at the end. Did they marble-ize her?

tim1724 likes this.
  4. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    I still am lost on the hand car guy

5. tim1724

tim1724 Active Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Temple City, CA

Advertisements

That was Glenn, a demon. We’ve seen him in quite a few episodes doing stuff for Shawn, e.g., building the door to Earth. Shawn always says “shut up Glenn!” In every scene they share.

He’s nicer than the other demons and the other demons hate him for it.

lynncosbm and LoadStar like this.
  6. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    I just didn't/don't remember him

7. photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    But if Michael is really Michael, then why did bad Janet call Glenn a traitor? He's only a traitor if he's really defected to call out Vicky in the Michael suit??

8. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Perhaps Glenn really did think it was Vicky (but was wrong). Just the act of telling Eleanor, etc is traitorous...

9. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Yes. I had to think for a moment at the end about whether Glen was a patsy or not, but (not) he really did think that was Vicky in disguise so his warning was genuine -- just wrong (as far as we know). Nice misdirection on the part of the show, though. But it's cool how many breadcrumbs they've scattered through the past couple of episodes suggesting that Janet wasn't really Janet, and how they all make sense in hindsight.

That said, I never really believed that wasn't Michael, for a reason that Alan Sepinwall discusses in his review of the episode. I simply didn't want it to be true that the scene with Michael and Eleanor on the game show set in episode 2 wasn't sincere. It would have been incredibly disappointing (and illogical, given how the scene played out) for that to have been a fake-out of some sort. It's one of the best scenes of the entire series.

Really fun opening scene with Magic Pictionary. I love that this show can do stuff like that just because. Was it just me, or were the team t-shirts pretty cool? I want one! That Frankenstein horse really was quite a creation. Hilarious that the last glimpse we get it, while everyone flees, is of it eating the magic butterfly.

I think the one legitimate flaw in an otherwise terrific episode was the very plotted bit about Glen not being able to make a Michael suit that would contain Vicky's "demon essence", so she would have to wear it over her Vicky suit. That's a pretzel knot that exists solely -- and somewhat illogically, I would say, given what we've seen the after-lifers are capable of -- to set up the gang's ability to tell Michael to take off his Michael suit to prove himself. But that's a nit.

What a great four episodes. This last season is amazing so far.

lynncosbm and photoshopgrl like this.
  10. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Couple of notes on this week's podcast episode (these are spoilers for the podcast, not the show):

• MEJ got a huge laugh out of me with his intro: "Josh, Rob, and Cord, welcome, everything is SHUT UP GLEN!"
    • Janet's standard pose is to stand with her hands in front of her, one thumb grasped in the opposite hand. D'Arcy Carden played Bad Janet playing Janet with the wrong thumb in the wrong hand -- I never noticed!

tim1724 likes this.
  11. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    When Jason said "girl" I actually said out loud, "not a girl"... and I was very surprised when Janet didn't say that. But I have to admit it still didn't occur to me that it wasn't Real Janet. I usually see that kind of thing coming but this show always gets me! I guess I'm not as quick on the uptake as... Jason...?

Clever to reboot Bad Janet so many times, so that she could manage to pass for Real Janet. I didn't expect that.

12. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Who has the power to marble-ize a Janet? We saw Bad Janet did it to Good Janet in the flashback. But could Michael marble-ize Bad Janet?

13. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    Anyone can marble-ize a Janet. It's simply a switch behind her ear I think.