The Good Place - S01E11 - "What's My Motivation" - 1/12/2017

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by DancnDude, Jan 13, 2017.

1. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    I am just loving this show more and more. I can't wait to see what happens next.

Glad to see that Eleanor decided on her own that she should go to the Bad place, and that jumped up her score. Of course, stealing the train with Jason and Janet to leave to go to the neutral place ("There IS a medium place!") probably could adjust it again. But Pobody’s Nerfect ;)

And Jason? He died by suffocating in a safe, awaiting the time when he could escape and steal the store's money. But he was wearing a snorkeling mask, so it should have worked! :D

One of the things I like the most is that the show constantly surprises me regarding TV show conventions. I see a plot coming up and think I know where it's going and *boom* it's resolved in the next 5 or 10 minutes. The Jason/Janet love romance? "Want to get married?" "Sure!" and a few minutes later, they're getting married and Janet is officiating! LOL

lynncosbm likes this.
  2. jamesl

jamesl Active Member

Jul 12, 2012
    this episode was my first time watching the series

first thing I noticed (and noticed immediately) --- no laugh track
    then watched the Big Bang Theory for comparison -- laugh after EVERY SINGLE LINE

what a difference

it was so pleasant watching The Good Place
    and so extremely annoying watching The Big Bang Theory

I'm liking this series

3. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    That's the difference between a one-camera show (like Good Place, filmed on sets) and a three-camera show (like BBT, taped in front of a live studio audience).

kettledrum likes this.
  4. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    "I'm just now realizing why that didn't work."

:D

Love this show.

5. jamesl

jamesl Active Member

Jul 12, 2012
    LOL, how do either of those have anything to do with with recorded laughter (that's been tweaked and made louder) being played after every single line

scrubs did not have this nonsense
    the simpsons don't have it

both were very funny and have lasted years without the need for it

laugh tracks have nothing to do with how or where its filmed
    its when the producers and execs have so little faith in the show, writers and viewers that they have to record and adjust the laughs and replay them

the "laughter" is more a product of chuck lorre and cbs

scrubs with fan added laugh track

yuck

6. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    There is so much of this post that is inaccurate and misinformed.

There are certain shows filmed on a stage with an audience, and the audience laughter is recorded and becomes part of the show. These shows are typically called "multi-camera" or "four-camera," because the actors are playing the scene like a play and there are several cameras recording the show simultaneously from various angles. But all angles are from the open side of the set. On these types of shows, the lighting is very bright and very flat, because all areas of the set have to be lit at the same time due to the multiple cameras recording at the same time. The performers feed off the energy from the audience, and that is why the laughs are part of the show. If you go to a taping of one of these shows, you'll see that they can record the entire episode in about 90 minutes, because the action pretty much plays straight through like a play, and you'll only have a few retakes and a few set changes.

In contrast, a "single-camera" show is one that's filmed more like a movie, where camera angles and lights are set up for a specific shot, and then once that shot is complete, then they move the cameras and the lights and set up for different shots. A perfect example of this is a conversation between two people, where the two people are facing each other and there's a close-up on one person's face, and then it switches to a close-up of the other person's face. These two shots are not filmed with multiple cameras running while the actors simply carry out the conversation. They're filmed with all the lights and camera(s) trained on one actor's face to capture the scene from that specific angle. Depending on the director, they might film several takes with this setup. Then they reset the lights and camera(s) to capture the other actor and they run through the scene again, performing several takes again. Then all of the footage is reviewed and the best takes and angles are edited together to create the show you see. Unlike a multi-cam, where the taping of an episode can be completed in a single evening, a single-cam show takes many days to film a full episode.

kettledrum, SoBelle0 and dianebrat like this.
  7. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    And BBT, according to both the producers and people who have been present for the tapings (including at least a couple of people here), does not use pre-recorded laughter. It's actual people laughing actual laughter during the taping.

8. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    "Is one tongue enough? I could add a couple more." :p

ThePennyDropped likes this.
  9. ehusen

ehusen Geek not Nerd

Jan 7, 2002
    Chicago Suburbs
    I really like this show, but I don't know why. :)

In the useless trivia department. The actor who is playing Shawn the judge is Marc Evan Jackson. Why do I know this? Well I happened upon a podcast called "The Thrilling Adventure Hour" (kind of a spoof on old time radio shows - very funny) and he plays "Sparks Nevada, Marshall on Mars" in the show.

It was just funny to hear his voice in a "non old west cowboy" tone.

10. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    He's played small parts on a lot of other TV shows, including a recurring role on "Parks and Recreation," which happens to have been co-created by "The Good Place's" creator, Michael Schur.

11. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    Loved the Judge's low key reaction to Fake Elinor, Janet, and Jason stealing his train.

12. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    ..and he plays Andre Braugher's husband on Brooklyn Nine-Nine! :D:D:D

13. ehusen

ehusen Geek not Nerd

Jan 7, 2002
    Chicago Suburbs
    Hey, you all stop trying to out trivia me. :)

SoBelle0 likes this.
  14. SoBelle0

SoBelle0 Go Big Blue!! TCF Club

Jun 25, 2002
    Decatur, GA
    Love this show! I thought many of the same things.

They continue to surprise me, and so many laughs!

I was, admittedly, a smidge disappointed when Shawn *wasn't* Rob Lowe.
    This guy was great with the calm demeanor to offset the other's reactions.

kettledrum and KungFuCow like this.
  15. midas

midas I heard that

Jun 1, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    That's because it's the Good Place.

sharkster and lynncosbm like this.
  16. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    In fact, the vanity card after this week's episode addressed this. Again. They actually have to tone down the laughter in the audio mix.

17. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    And I hasten to add, if you don't like the laughter that's fine. You're certainly entitled. What you're not entitled to is lying about what it is. That just undercuts your credibility.

kettledrum, sharkster and dianebrat like this.
  18. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I don't see why that was a bump, especially such a large one.

19. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    I'm not sure what larger act of self-sacrifice would exist in the Good Place than voluntarily leaving the Good Place.

I'm a little more uncertain on why scorekeeping would still happen once you are already there.

20. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    It wasn't by itself. The selfless act of giving herself up with a bunch of true acts of contrition (the notes she sent to everyone as she left without letting anyone know what she was doing) was the big bump.