The Good Place "Chidi Sees the Time-Knife" S03E12 - 01/17/2019 *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by DevdogAZ, Jan 19, 2019.

1. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Great episode. Glad it appears they'll be back in a neighborhood like S1 next season.

For those who don't listen to the podcast, the name of the monster around Tahani's neck (Niednagel) is named for David Niednagel, the guy who creates all the CGI effects for the show. He was also a guest on this episode's podcast, along with Jason Mantzoukas and one of the writers of the episode, Joe Mande.

One question about the overall plot: If every human for the last 500 years has gone to the Bad Place, does that mean Mindy St. Clair had the highest score of any human in the last 500 years, leading to her getting to go to the Medium Place rather than immediately to the Bad Place?

Another question: If "life is complicated" is really the reason no human has made it to the Good Place for 500 years, that doesn't really make sense for people before the Industrial Revolution, before about 1800. Before that, people pretty much lived the same way they had for thousands of years. Sure, there was a very small percentage of humanity travelling the globe and settling in previously uncivilized places, but the vast majority lived virtually the same way they always had. And what about third-world places that didn't really experience any technology until much more recently? Was life really that complicated for natives in the Amazon rainforest or the African jungles in 1900?

tim1724 likes this.
  2. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Janet babies!!

LOLed at the Chick-fil-A reference

3. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    I did, too. Especially because I was at a lunch meeting this week where the organizer brought in Chick-fil-A. I didn't eat it for the reasons behind the joke. A friend and colleague, who is a vegetarian with strongly-held principles besides, but who loves Chick-fil-A fries, broke down and had fries. We ribbed each other quite a bit for the rest of the day and then like magic, this episode had that joke in the same evening.

kettledrum and tim1724 like this.
  4. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Another fun podcast episode this week. I was a little worried with Mantzoukas guest-hosting, but he did a good job and was really funny. I've turned the corner on him -- when I first became acquainted with him on B-99, I didn't like him much, but he's really grown on me.

5. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    You should go back and watch The League. He was very obnoxious (but also very funny) on there.

Steveknj likes this.
  6. oscarfish

oscarfish Member

Mar 1, 2009
    I would have thought that simply informing the judge that no one has made it into the good place for the last 500 years would be enough to convince her something is broken.

7. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Hey, if the entire human race can't live by a few simple rules..! :D

8. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    I kinda want to see the Time Knife

9. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    it's complicated!!

Sure, the chicken sandwiches are really good.. But, you know....

10. stile99

stile99 Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2002
    "If you eat that chicken sandwich, you're going to the Bad Place!"

*pause*

"OMG, why haven't you put down that sandwich!"

"I'm thinking about it, give me a minute!"

Robin likes this.
  11. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    So funny that the bad place guys created a "Michael" suit so they could torture his friends.

kettledrum likes this.
  12. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    Really enjoyed the change-up! Also enjoyed his return as Suave Derek.

13. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Yes! He was fun as regular Derek, but it makes sense to have evolved him just like Janet. And this new incarnation still isn't quite right, which was amusing. Makes me wonder if there will be an issue with the people he created for the experiment.

tim1724 and As193009 like this.
  14. Agatha Mystery

Agatha Mystery Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    Of course there will, which will be part of the fun.

jsmeeker and BrettStah like this.
  15. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    The cast was on Conan last night (just found it in my 1Pass, otherwise I would have posted earlier)

16. tcorning

tcorning Member

Nov 14, 2001
    South Shore...
    He’s also one of the hosts of the podcast How Did This Get Made, along with Paul Scheer also from The League. It’s a lot of fun.