The Good Place 9-Jan-2020: You've Changed, Man

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Jonathan_S, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    Timothy Olyphant as "Timothy Olyphant" :D :thumbsup:
    Loved him basically doing Raylan Givens.

Already listened to most of the 'The Good Place The Podcast' episode about this episode. Apparently this was the one they'd mentioned as (IIRC) ComicCon where an hour into filming they were an hour behind because Manny's line to Shaun "You've changed man" was delivered so well the cast and crew couldn't keep themselves together to get a usable version of the wide shot.

Loved the Bad Janet void with the literal dumpster fire.

Love that this show is back - and sad we've got so few episodes left

tim1724 and lynncosbm like this.
  2. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    And inside DISCO JANET!!!!

3. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    !Texas
    I love confident Chidi.

4. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    I've had to watch this one a couple of times (which I usually do anyway) to absorb it. After the humor and loveliness of the prior episode, I wasn't quite prepared for the amount of exposition in this one and it felt a little unbalanced at first. Watching it again, I appreciated it more. Lots of the humor was subtle and/or visual, such as the cornucopia of terrible we got in Bad Janet's void. Even on first viewing I let out a guffaw at the Window 95-style computer and the endless popups. DOINK! Great touch.

Whoa, Olyphant! It was hard not to dive into a couple of episodes of Justified after watching this. Great show and an all-timer of a character. I wonder how this played for people who never watched that show. I'm sure there are some here (but good grief, why?!?). He was even wearing Raylan's Stetson. That was fun. Must have been a gas to shoot.

Disco Janet marblizes into a miniature disco ball. Brilliant.

It will be interesting to see if this new approach to the afterlife sticks. We've got three episodes to go. Even after a second viewing it feels like kind of a rote place to have gotten to. The solution is that everyone gets to go through what Team Cockroach went through? I get the logic but it's hardly a breakthrough; it's the same breakthrough that led them to run the experiment that kicked off this season. This writing staff is too thoughtful and clever for me not to think that this is either going to change, or (this almost certainly) prove not to be the point after all.

lynncosbm and Amnesia like this.
  5. photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    Hey now. Did we have any spoilers/forewarning that Olyphant was going to guest on this? I know the judge has mentioned him and Justified a few times but my jaw actually dropped...... okay, I may have let out a 15 year old girl squeal for a just a second! I miss the heck out of Raylan Givens.

Great episode! I loved seeing Sean have to admit he basically needs them to all continue so he can have fun.

The disco ball may have been one of their best small details to date.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  6. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I was a little surprised they missed out on the obvious argument for the judge...how can there ever be a Justified revival without a human race?

Family, Steveknj and photoshopgrl like this.
  7. Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    Never watched Justified so I wished he had done some Deadwood thing :(

Steveknj likes this.
  8. lambertman

lambertman LIVE! On tape

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    (watch Justified)

9. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    The cool thing about Justified is that it doesn't take time to settle into itself...it is fully itself in the first scene. So if you're not into Justified (and Raylan Givens) after that first scene, then you can just give up. On Justified, and on belonging in the human race. ;)

10. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    In fact, they did lay in some Easter eggs to foreshadow Olyphant’s appearance in this episode. Interestingly, they did so retroactively. Here’s Mike Schur on that and on how it came to pass that they got Olyphant on the show:

Mike Schur on making tonight's big Good Place cameo happen

tim1724, sushikitten and getbak like this.
  11. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    Joanie loves Tchotchkes!

12. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    !Texas
    I laughed hard at that. I paused the show and laughed some more. I’m going to miss this show so much!

Steveknj and Regina like this.
  13. Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    Added to my queue. Will binge it as soon as I'm done with Iron Fist (1 ep left in season 1).

Next to the disco ball marble, the marble still managing to fart was a good touch ;)

Rainy Dave, Steveknj and photoshopgrl like this.
  14. Thespis1962

Thespis1962 New Member

Jan 12, 2020
    I love this show!
    It doesn't hurt that I was Chidi's (Will Harper) high school theatre teacher. :)
    I knew he was going to do great things!

Robin, SoBelle0, Family and 3 others like this.
  15. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Yeah, but save-the-human-race great?

Family, tim1724 and photoshopgrl like this.
  16. Thespis1962

Thespis1962 New Member

Jan 12, 2020
    LOL! I thought it would probably be limited to acting...

tim1724, Jonathan_S and lynncosbm like this.
  17. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I only saw a couple of episodes of Justified (sorry, it was not my taste), but I knew what the writers were going for, even if I didn't know the character that well (there was a little bit of Deadwood Timothy in there as well, I thought). This will be one series, when it's all over, I'll probably binge straight through again just to try and catch a lot of the stuff I missed.

18. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    I'll just say this, S2 of Justified is awesome! The rest seasons aren't as good still pretty good

So I'd at least watch S1-S2 :)

19. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Not my thing, but thanks for the recommendation anyway :)

20. photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    There's a little bit of Deadwood in Justified for sure. Maybe it's just Olyphant in a stetson being a lawman that makes it feel enough alike for me to love but also different enough for me to not feel like I was watching the same character. If that makes sense.