The Good Place 11/21/19 "The Answer"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Rob Helmerichs, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    As this episode began, I thought "Just what we need. A stroll through Chidi's ridiculous Earthly life."

As this episode ended, I thought "That was freaking beautiful."

lynncosbm, Lenonn, gweempose and 8 others like this.
  2. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    I have lots to say about this one later, but for now: this was The Good Place at its best. Just lovely.

3. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Gotta clean my house. Got kind of dusty near the end.

4. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Yep, definitely dusty. This show is killing it in its final season.

lynncosbm likes this.
  5. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    I've been meaning to come back and post some more thoughts about this episode. I'll start here with some appreciation for five moments of great acting. Each of them just a second or two, but they said everything that needed to be said, and perfectly. The first three are in the same scene.

1. Ted Danson's side of the conversation between Michael and Chidi in the town square was masterful. I've noted before how good Danson is at just listening to what the other character he's interacting with is saying, as in Michael's game show set scene with Eleanor in the second episode of this season. Like that one, this scene is a hugely important character moment for Chidi, and the gravity Danson brings to it (with a few jokes sprinkled in) just reinforces that beautifully.

2. On the other side of that, I can't imagine a more perfect portrayal than William Jackson Harper gave as Chidi. I'm thinking particularly of his anguished but brave delivery of, "What a time to learn." Really, really affecting moment.

3. And then D'Arcy Carden in that same scene. That's as human as we've ever seen Janet, and Carden brings it across in just a few seconds with almost no dialog. Her eyes are wet! Janet! (We learn in the podcast for this episode that the tears were Carden's, i.e. she was crying, not that she was portraying Janet crying.) It's not the focus of their interaction but it's a lovely added detail.

4. Harper again, when Michael wakes him up. He takes a deep breath and stretches and says he feels great. He's Chidi, but... different. Like a weight has been taken off of him. I don't know how actors do that. I could have watched that moment without seeing any of the prior parts of the episode, and without his line of dialog, and known that this was a changed man.

5. And lastly, KB, in the episode's last shot. Chidi reads his note to himself, and looks at her, and she stares back at him with a mixture of apprehension, hope, love. We got maybe two seconds of her before credits and somehow she conveyed about four or five different emotions all at once, and all appropriate for the moment. Again, I don't know how actors do that. Beautiful moment by KB.

(Here's a runner up, just for the charm of it. When Eleanor and Harper are in the alley and she kisses him, she's got the sleeves of her sweatshirt pulled down over her hands. It's the kind of thing you might do if you are feeling nervous or flirty or just supremely comfortable with someone; again, all appropriate reactions to that moment. Great choice there by KB.)

tim1724, lynncosbm, astrohip and 2 others like this.
  6. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I thought the interesting piece of information from the podcast about this was that they had takes where Janet's eyes were wet and where they were dry. The editors thought they should use the wet one and presented it to Mike Schur, who agreed. That's really cool that they're allowing their "not a girl" to evolve and become more human as the series progresses.