The Good Guys - 5/20/10 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Satchel, May 20, 2010.

1. Satchel

Satchel Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2001
    Dallas, TX

Advertisements

Anyone else catch the preview episode of The Good Guys tonight?

Reminded me of the old Starsky and Hutch or Barretta shows from the 70s.

Smartass cops
    Funny bad guys
    Lots of shooting while sliding across bars and floors.
    Car crashes
    Explosions
    Strippers
    An old Trans Am
    And it's filmed in Dallas on streets I drive over every day on the way to work.

I really liked it. It moved fast, was quite funny. Certainly didn't take itself too seriously.

I'm in for a season pass.

Anyone else?

2. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I watched it and thought it was ok. It gets a season pass until it either starts to suck consistently or something better broadcasts in that time slot.

3. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    Apparently it doesn't air until tonight so I'll watch it then.

How did you get to see it early? You have connections?

;)

4. SeanC

SeanC ECT

Dec 30, 2003
    Someplace
    I setup an SP based on a single ad that I saw. I liked it quite a bit. I thought it had the worst commercial break EVER though. Right near the end when the guy shows up with the Trans Am with AC/DC on the soundtrack, man, I got chills, then they break the moment with a commercial.

5. Queue

Queue UnbowdUnbentUnbrokn

Apr 6, 2009

Advertisements

Maybe the show just isn't for me. I just didn't think it clicked. Granted I haven't finished watching it but because I was uninterested. And I was looking forward to it, Hanks and Whitford and two pretty good actors.

I'll go ahead and finish it and try to watch another to give it a chance.

6. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    I think FOX was smart making it a summer series.

I will watch a few more before before I decide.

7. sushikitten

sushikitten LivingLippy.com

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    I also set a SP based on one thing - Bradley Whitford on Chelsea Lately. He was hilarious and I liked the clip they showed.

I almost hope we don't like it (haven't watched it yet) because we don't need another show on our list.

8. Satchel

Satchel Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    I also thought it was hilarious that Bradley Whitford's trailer house was sitting on the middle of the State Fair of Texas midway at Fair Park (home of the Cotton Bowl).

9. TIVO_GUY_HERE

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    Came in 4th in its timeslot.

10. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I laughed outloud during it at least once (my criteria for a funny show). I loved the trailer on the State Fair grounds. The young thief was funny. The South American assassin was funny.

The show was lame but it was good enough for a summer show. I suspect it will not be on for very long.

I loved the soundtrack. Ah, geezer music.

11. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    I am in the jurry is still out phase too. I don't really expect much from pilots anymore...

So it is really going to be the next couple episodes that make me decide to keep watching it. It wasn't horrible and has some potential, and I think Bradley Whitford's character is funny albeit ridiculous. So we shall see.

isn't it already on the fall schedule friday nights for next season?

12. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead TCF Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    I enjoyed the first episode. Perfect summer show. The soundtrack was great. Seeing as the time slot is pretty much devoid of other new stuff during the summer, I'll give it a chance. Err, except I don't see any upcoming episodes. Is this not a summer show?

13. DrZoidberg42

DrZoidberg42 New Member

Oct 6, 2005
    I do not think it is a summer series as it is on their fall schedule. I think they are doing what they did with Glee last year and just showing the Pilot early.

14. TIVO_GUY_HERE

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    No its a 13 episode season ( moving to Monday nights tho) till the end of August.

15. Ekims

Ekims Don't care anymore

Oct 18, 2002
    Yeah, bout...
    I was so excited to watch this, so much so that I didn't even wait for my wife to get home to watch. I ended up deleting as soon as it was over so she wouldn't be subjected to how bad it was. He leaves a shootout with his Lt. to chase after a car with the girl in it? He jumps from a moving car to the very backend of one that the bad guy just shot out of? I don't watch TV for realism, but I don't want cheesy plot devices either. I doubt I watch a second installment of this series.

16. Queue

Queue UnbowdUnbentUnbrokn

Apr 6, 2009
    OK. Finished it last night. I'm still kinda...meh.

It seemed weird for the second best assassin to send a letter to the cops saying how much honor (was that it) that they had. And sign his name, and send a picture.

17. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead TCF Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Seems like a few people here don't "get" this show. It isn't supposed to be realistic. It is a spoof, a satire, of ridiculous 80's cop/action television shows. It's supposed to be over-the-top ridiculous, IMO. This isn't NYPD Blue.

18. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    Whatever it's supposed to be, it wasn't good enough to merit a SP for me.

For all of you who liked it - enjoy! I hope it sticks around for you. :)

19. Keen

Keen Member

Aug 2, 2009
    Minneapolis, MN
    I wonder if the people who don't get this show also don't get Glee.

20. ronsch

ronsch Active Member

Sep 7, 2001
    Tallahassee,...
    I get it. It just doesn't hit my funny bone at all. Some intentional spoofs do a great job. Then there is Good Guys.