The Goldberg's 1990-Something

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Frylock, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Frylock

Frylock Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Just West...

Advertisements

So I watched the pilot that never got picked up last night. Wow. It's pretty obvious why it did not get picked up. I couldn't tell who the show was supposed to be about? The new principal? The coach? The sister and her kids? And the one daughter (not the narrator) just didn't even seem to be a realistic character at all. Not sure what they were thinking when they made this. I would have much rather had a spin-off with just the coach doing something new. That would have been a good show. Trying to just replicate the show in a new decade (ala the 80's Show from That 70's show) clearly does not work...

2. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I didn't get this show either and can see why it wasn't picked up. I love The Goldbergs and just don't understand how they could go so wrong with this spinoff. I guess spinning off a show is hard. :)

3. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    I had no idea what it was supposed to be--an ad for "The Goldbergs," ? It lasted for 2 commercial breaks . . . .

4. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    It was pretty bad. Just not sure if any of the characters they "spun off" were worthy of a spin off. My son said, it would have been better if they planned a spin off of Erica since she's away at college. Throw Jeff in there and I think it would have been a great spin-off.

5. Hoffer

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN

Advertisements

This is what they did for Black-ish. The oldest girl graduated high school and went to college. She now has a show called Grown-ish that is her life at college. The show is on a cable network, or something. I have not seen it and am not super motivated to find it.

6. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Yes, i saw that too. I'm not actually sure from what angle that show is being presented (teenager growing up going to college, the African American College experience? I guess some of both?). Since it's on FreeForm which gears to a younger crowd, I never thought that show was geared to me, so I never watched.

Other than Adam, she's the only character who has enough substance to her that they could spin off. The older brother is just too "out there" to sustain a show by himself, even though I love the character his antics would get old quickly.

7. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Where and when did this air?

8. Hoffer

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    It aired as this week's episode of The Goldbergs.

9. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks. So I guess I have it recorded then. :)

How do people know that it was a failed pilot for a spinoff? Did they mention this before it aired?

10. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Now that you mention it, I actually could see Barry in his own show, toned down a bit. Perhaps in a Lou Grant way, or as a crazy but sentimental hero (Mork-like but less crazy)?

11. Hoffer

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    It was in the news. The creator said they are airing the pilot with the hope people will love it and demand it be made into a series.

12. kdelande

kdelande TiVo-Wobble

Dec 17, 2001
    Louisville,...
    I think he's going to be waiting for a long while based on last night's showing. I tried to treat it like the back-door pilot it is, but there just wasn't any magic there unlike the real Goldbergs show which hooked me right in from the start. I love coach Mellor, he should be the lead (and I thought I had originally read he was going to be but that could be a false memory), Tim Meadows as the lead didn't do much for me, too bland. And the new characters, especially the Adam stand-in sister/daughter just didn't hook me at all. They were bland sitcom stereotypes.

13. Hoffer

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I remember the first I heard about this spinoff was that it was based on the coach. He definitely had a bigger part in this pilot, but definitely not the biggest.

14. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    Future Adam where he is getting into making movies, writing scripts, or maybe as an intern on the set of something would be far more interesting and unique.

Mikeguy likes this.
  15. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Old Adam :)

Mikeguy likes this.
  16. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Well, that clearly didn't work . . . .

17. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Was just going to post. Good one. :)

18. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Two episodes aired as Black-ish episodes (I guess you could call them backdoor pilots, but it was already green lighted I guess).

Darn, I see most of the rest have already aired, if it is only a 6 episode season. I remember meaning to set up a OP at one point, but forgot. It's on Freeform.. (setting up OP now via tivo app).

19. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Bored TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I was so confused watching this. I had no idea who the main character was supposed to be. It was terrible.

20. lambertman

lambertman Chris Lambert, man

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    S1 of grown-ish is 13 eps, and it's already been renewed for a second season of 20 eps.

mattack likes this.