The Food That Built America

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by shelly40, Aug 13, 2019.

1. shelly40

shelly40 Active Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    Anyone else watching this on History Channel ?

Very interesting show.... at least to me....

It is about the starting up of some big food companies....
    Heinz...Kelloggs and Post cereals, Hershey, Birds Eye...and others....

Worth a watch....

Shelly

2. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    thanks for the heads up, i'm gonna check it out. :up:

i was able to schedule eps 2 & 3, and ep 1 is available on their website.

3. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    Loving it - And learning stuff I didn't know!

For example, I always though that the '57' referred to th number of varieties that Heinz offered originally only to find out it was just a number he 'liked' and the 'varieties' was added later to make it look like a lot!

4. NorthAlabama

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    shouldn't that be in spoiler tags?!? :p (just kidding!)

Mikeguy likes this.
  5. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    Nah - the vinegar in the ketchup will keep it from spoiling.

astrohip likes this.
  6. NorthAlabama

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    i foresee a ketchup thread tangent on the horizon (paging @sharkster to the white courtesy phone)... :)

Steveknj likes this.
  7. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I'm enjoying it also, I'm about midway through the last episode. I like the connections between Post and Kellogs, and the connection between Hershey and Mars, and between Birdseye and Post's daughter. I knew Kellog was from Battle Creek, but had no idea that Post was too. That's interesting to me. I guess it's the Capital of Cereal. I've been to Hershey a few times, and we always used to joke the town smelled of chocolate. Years ago, (like when I was 9 or 10) they used to give you a tour of the factory and walk you right on the floor. When you think about it, it wasn't very sanitary. Indeed my friend stuck his hand in a vat full of Hershey's kisses. I can understand why they stopped that. But it was definitely much more interesting.

As for ketchup, we generally aren't brand loyal on a lot of things, but ketchup is one of them. We only buy Heinz. The rest just don't taste as good.

8. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Is this a new series? Or old. It sounds familiar to me. Like I've seen it long ago.

9. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    It's new, but done in the style of many other series on History (such as The Men Who Made America)

10. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Episode three was halfway over before I saw this show in the guide. Episode two was next up but I wanted to watch them in order. I checked the tivo's upcoming episode list but didn't see any reruns for episode one listed. I watched parts of the segments on M&Ms and Col. Sanders fried chicken recipe experiments. I probably try to see if I can find all three episodes on the internet.

11. jamesbobo

jamesbobo with a grain of salt

Jun 18, 2000
    NJ
    Interesting. I didn't know Col. Sanders was such a badass. Gunfights over gas stations!!
    That Hershey did whatever it took to not lay off any employee during the Great Depression was admirable. But he seemed to have a lack of communication with his employees when they decided to go on strike. I don't know what details were left out, but it seems odd to me that he didn't meet with them and try to iron out their differences. At least that's how the show presented it.

12. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Thanks for the recommendation--an interesting series. So often, the guts of these pioneers.

I once was being contacted/recruited for a job as a professional at Mars, and at least one of the things I was told by the recruiter about the work environment there* (~fit) the direction of the salesman lack-of-respect scene involving the son, that set the father off.

* She wanted to make sure that the factor wouldn't be an automatic no-go for me.

The only thing I inherently questioned (as I do in presentations like this) was the "reenactments," absent there being historical records supporting them (as in a court scene, for example). I have become concerned in recent years over biopics which are not strictly accurate--the way these things work out, the biopic version of events can take over history and become the "official version" in the minds of the majority of people.

13. lambertman

lambertman LIVE! On tape

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    looks like there’s a marathon on 9/1.

14. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    I found the series interesting, but I really don’t like the re-enactments personally. I would rather have the story told traditionally in say a one or two hour program. Loved the Mira Lago connection.

super dave likes this.