The Flash | "Welcome to Earth-2" | OAD 2/9/2016

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cmontyburns, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Feb 9, 2016 #1 of 29
    cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent. TCF Club

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX

Advertisements

I had really been looking forward to watching this episode, so I was quite disappointed to have it entirely try my patience with the direction it went. About 37 straight minutes of Barry being a complete idiot in Earth-2, not to mention (and most especially) screwing over Wells right after all of Barry's big "we're a team" speeches. Ugh. He was really hard to take in this episode, and of course he got himself captured.

Fortunately, the last five minutes were pretty decent. Zoom's a good villain.

2. Feb 9, 2016 #2 of 29
    Michael S

Michael S Member

Jan 12, 2004
    When they went through the portal to earth 2 did you see supergirl, Jonah Hex and John Wesley Snipes in his flash costume. But what was last thing? I couldn't make it out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Are you saying he's the Black Flash?
    (There was a Black Green Arrow in the vortex. Diggle?)

It look to me like a Flight Ring from the Legion of Super-Heroes.
    That was definitely the Legion Insignia.

I loved the episode, BTW.

It's an interesting way to add depth to our characters by holding up a mirror to them and let it hang out.

I get why Barry was so insistent on helping Iris-2 and Joe-2. Barry-2 has a pretty good life here.

And him speaking to his "Mom" was a nice touch.
    (BTW, did you catch the labels on the phone?)

Now who was the guy on the next cage.
    His helmet looked similar to Diggle's "Spartan" helmet.

4. dtle

dtle Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2001
    DFW
    It's good to see Jesse L. Martin getting to show off his singing chops. The last time was in the 90s, on Ally McBeal.

5. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...

Advertisements

I liked it but there was a bucket load of stupid in this episode. The worst was Iris-2 walking into what surely was a trap with a scaredy cat partner and no back up. What happened to Cisco's weapon that was supposed to stop Killer Frost?

I liked Joe-2 singing My Funny Valentine as a lounge singer.

Zoom had a good amount of dialogue at the end but he speaks so slow, I was yelling "Just spit it out already!" during his pauses.

Vibe and Reverb.

Jay was actually kind of useful this episode.

6. bobcarn

bobcarn Birthday Hug Monkey TCF Club

Nov 18, 2001
    Trenton,...
    There were quite a few things I liked about the episode, and also things I didn't like. Barry running off to spend time with Iris-2 was stupid. They have a mission, stick to it! Iris-2 and (did he call him "deadshot?" I can't remember who his Earth-1 doppleganger is) partner running after Killer Frost and Deathstorm with just a couple of guns was a bit far-fetched, as was the weapon designed to stop them not even being used.

I didn't mind Barry being captured too much. He was hit from behind by Reverb, and he may not have been fully aware of Reverb's abilities since Cisco doesn't display such physical power.

I cracked up when they came across Wells' assistant, who was the first Firestorm candidate and who was bad on Earth-1, and the look on their faces. Cisco, as always, is fun to watch.

I loved the trip to Earth-2. I couldn't make out the final image either. But I LOVED seeing Supergirl from the current show. Seeing shows acknowledge each other even though they're on different networks is still very rare. It makes it clear that even though Flash and Arrow and Constantine are in the same universe, at least Supergirl is in the same multiverse and that her universe is at least within reach for traveling to.

I get a kick out of the retro-styled technology in Earth-2. They capture the feel of the 40's-style Golden Age comic book heroes while still making the world seem modern. The telephone at home was interesting in that it had big push-buttons for speed-dialing. Anyone notice that Bruce, Hal, and Diana were listed? There was one other listing I didn't recognize though. Hal could be taken as a nod to Hal Jordan, though it was established that Earth-2's Green Lantern was someone else and also had a ring that operated on very different principles than Earth-1's. Diana was more or less the same on both Earths though, as was Bruce. Technically, Clark should be the same too.

It's kind of interesting that they seem to be borrowing some of the concepts of Earth-3, where good and bad is reversed, heroes are villains, and villains are heroes. Caitlin, Cisco, "Bad Firestorm-wannabe", and Snart all have reverse counterparts on Earth-1.

7. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    How long was Wells-2 absent from Earth-2? It seems like weeks on the show but his Earth-2 assistant made it seem like it was a much shorter period of time.

It kinda bugs me that everybody has a live Earth-2 doppelganger. Some people should have died or never been born or be living somewhere else if the two universes are separate.

8. allan

allan Just someone TCF Club

Oct 13, 2002
    Are you sure Snart was reversed? They only said he was the mayor. They didn't say he wasn't evil. :D

9. bobcarn

Nov 18, 2001
    Trenton,...
    True. But with the only detail that was given to us, the implication is that he's not.

Oh, did I see that another reversal was the Earth-1's captain being a criminal on Earth-2?

10. Ereth

Ereth Unemployed Bum

Jun 16, 2000
    Jacksonville...
    Eddie. Most likely Eddie Thawne, Iris' boyfriend from the first season.

Alan Scott is the Green Lantern of Earth-2 in the comics, but yes, that was a Hal Jordan reference.

11. Ereth

Ereth Unemployed Bum

Jun 16, 2000
    Jacksonville...
    Was he black? I didn't catch that.

Rumor has it that this version of Green Arrow will be appearing on Legends of Tomorrow. He was also supposed to have a goatee, though I couldn't make that out even on pause.

12. ehusen

ehusen Geek not Nerd

Jan 7, 2002
    Chicago Suburbs
    Well he was in Rent in 2005. And I didn't see Smash but I'm assuming he sang on that show as well. And there's some sort of Rocky Horror tribute show he sang on as well. So I don't think his singing has neglected since the 1990s...

13. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I think that you missed why Barry stuck with Iris-2.
    Except for not being the Flash and Joe being mad at him, it's a near perfect life from Barry's point of view.
    That's why he got so involved and when you factor in Barry's natural tendency to want to help people, well......

Yes, Iris's partner was the Earth-2 Floyd Lawton, AKA Deadshot. I suspect that the original idea was for it to be Eddie Thawne but Rick Cosnet wasn't available.
    (Although I'm a little surprised that they were able to use "Floyd Lawton" since there's a "Suicide Squad" embargo on Arrow right now.)

14. bobcarn

Nov 18, 2001
    Trenton,...
    Nah, I didn't miss that. I just thought it was kinda stupid of him to go home with her. It totally delayed him doing what he set out to do (check around the police station for information). What did he expect to do with her after they got home? Hang out all night and sleep over? C'mon Barry! Get with it. You got a job to do!

15. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I don't know, finding out you're suddenly married to the love of your life, whom you'd given up any hope of ever getting, would throw anybody off their game. Much less Barry, who has to be stupid enough for the freak-of-the-week to be able to put up a fight against him when his abilities should otherwise make the fight last literally micro-seconds... ;)

Even this week, Firestorm was able to keep up with him. How does THAT happen?!?

16. zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    He totally had sex with her, right? Right?! :p

17. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent. TCF Club

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    In some other context, that would be a perfectly reasonable explanation. The problem with it here is that, as I said, the whole reason Barry was in (/on/at) Earth-2 to begin with was the big speech he gave Wells about how they were a team, in it together, etc. Barry looks like a tool and a hypocrite for blowing all that off, no matter how rational his reaction might be otherwise. In fact, he blew off two of his own plans at once: one, the plan to help Wells fast and get out of there; and two, the sub-plan to go to the station and snoop around.

The struggle to be selfless is part-and-parcel of the superhero experience. We've seen Barry struggle with this just in recent weeks, by not telling Patty he's the Flash. He was completely selfish here and it looked like it never crossed his mind not to be. It's a bad look, and the inconsistency was frustrating to watch.

18. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles

Or simply that Barry Allen is an emotional human being who sometimes makes mistakes.

19. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I went back and did a far amount of step pause on those sequences.
    Green Arrow looked African American to me.

(Plus I was slow to realize who the man with the gun was.)

Re Legends of Tomorrow, the rumor I heard
    was that an older Green Arrow as played by Stephen Amell would be appearing.

20. Ereth

Ereth Unemployed Bum

Jun 16, 2000
    Jacksonville...
    The man with the gun will also be appearing on Legends of Tomorrow. He'll be easier to recognize then.