The Flash S02E04 The Fury of Firestorm Oct. 27 2015

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by bobcarn, Oct 28, 2015.

1. bobcarn

bobcarn Birthday Hug Monkey TCF Club

Nov 18, 2001
    Trenton,...

Advertisements

This was a pretty good one!

The first Firestorm candidate was obviously not a good choice when his temper came out when the merge failed. No surprise he has anger management issues. The battle with him was fun, with Barry doing a good job of toying with him to tick him off.

And... we have Harrison Wells again. This should be interesting.

Land shark definitely looked like someone I wouldn't want to go up against, even as the Flash.

No Jay Garrick. So... he's just hanging out somewhere?

2. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    We got two metas for the price of one with King Shark and Tokamak.

However, Jefferson Jackson????

I had to Google him because I didn't remember him at all from the comics by name.
    It turns out that he was one of Ronnie Raymond's buddies on the football team, so essentially a minor character and never a Firestorm in the comics.

I wonder why Jason Rusch wasn't usable.
    (Rights issues? Legends of Tomorrow issues?)

I'm liking Patty Spivot too.
    Even though here, she's not a fellow CSI tech.

3. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    Just so long as we don't get stuck in another 'is he a good guy / is he a bad guy' plot again. Barry is just too trusting and I could see them trying to play that plot through again (especially since Wells just saved Barry at the end of the episode).

I enjoyed it. Dr. Stein is one of my favorite characters. He nicely fit into the mentor role while Wells was away. Plus, he reminds me of Alias.

Barry sure seems to have moved from Iris to flirting with the new love interest fast.

4. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    So, is gnu Wells a good guy or bad guy this time around?

I suppose he could also be Zoom, at night.

5. realityboy

realityboy Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Columbus, OH

Advertisements

They introduced Jason last season so it wouldn't seem to be a rights issue. It does look like Firestorm has a bigger part in Legends so maybe that actor wasn't up for it, and they didn't want to recast. (Or they didn't want Firestorm to be 2 scientists)

6. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent. TCF Club

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    I hardly know where to start with this one.

1. I know Victor Garber is going to that other show, but I'm going to miss him on this one. He's an actor I always enjoy, and his character was good here, too.

2. That shark thing? From the comics, I assume. Sometimes mining the comics is a bad idea. That was so dumb.

3. Thank goodness Barry met Wells 2 at the end. I wanted to throw something at the TV when Joe told Spivot to keep Wells 2 a secret from Barry. These shows need to stop having people keep secrets from each other because they can't figure out how to plot things otherwise.

4. Don't care don't care don't care about the drama with Iris's mother. It isn't that the show is (apparently) doing a straight melodramatic plotline. It's that I don't care about Iris. She could be removed from the show entirely and it wouldn't miss a beat. If this storyline is just to keep her busy until she can be integrated into the main season arcs, they should simply shuffle her offscreen and not bother.

5. Complaint about Barry's speed of the week: He can play keep-away from an angry scientist with nuclear flares all night, but substitute Wentworth Miller and a cold gun for the scientist and Barry would be frozen within ten seconds. OK.

7. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Clearances change though.

For example, Arrow can no longer use Deadshot and the Suicide Squad because of the upcoming movie and Warner Brothers doesn't want people confused....

8. realityboy

realityboy Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    True enough. Getting permission to use a character is sometimes hit or miss, but I think the Firestorm character works best as the jock/scientist combo, and I'm guessing that's what they wanted for Legends. I suppose Jason could show up eventually if Victor Garber gets tired of being a superhero.

I assume if Jason ever shows back up, he'll be recast like Linda Park or Dr. Leslie Thompkins (Gotham).

9. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I high five'd myself when Jefferson Jackson initially said "Hell no!" to becoming Firestorm. I would have declined too after thinking about all the life changes it would entail - especially having to merge with another person.

Harrison Wells is apparently going to be like The Swede on Hell On Wheels. It doesn't seem like he's ever going away.

Jeez, Iris. You could at least let your mother get a couple of words in before telling her to go pound sand.

10. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Wait. A character that is in town and not used or even mentioned? Not even in an awkward sentence or scene. That can't happen.

11. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    What can we say? Barry moves fast?

12. bobcarn

Nov 18, 2001
    Trenton,...
    The new love interest is much more palatable than Iris. Iris reminds me too much of Lana in Smallville. Way too much high maintenance and drama. I wonder why superheroes are drawn to those types?

13. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    It's interesting that they already have the girlfriends of three Flashes on this show (Iris, Linda, Patty).

Geez, Barry, leave some for your other selves! :D

14. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Harrison Wells seems to be this show's version of Hell On Wheel's The Swede. He just won't go away.

15. Ereth

Ereth Unemployed Bum

Jun 16, 2000
    Jacksonville...
    I don't think I've ever seen anybody smeek themselves before. That's pretty awesome!

16. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    The second one was Earth-2 cheesesteak.

17. Ereth

Ereth Unemployed Bum

Jun 16, 2000
    Jacksonville...
    HA! Literally laughed out loud!

18. dtle

dtle Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2001
    DFW
    Don't forget there's a reason for Iris' mother to show up:

19. bobcarn

Nov 18, 2001
    Trenton,...
    That didn't escape me.

Though it should be her nephew. As it is, it would be a sibling.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015