The Flash - S02 E01- "The Man Who Saved Central City" - 10/06/2015

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by JYoung, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Oct 7, 2015 #1 of 57
    JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles

Advertisements

What the over/under on Ronnie being dead?
    (I'm going to say zero but I guess this is how
    Victor Garber transitions to Legends of Tomorrow
    ).

Atom Smasher is an odd villain for Barry to face off against as he's nominally a hero.
    And why didn't Barry try hitting him with a heavy object?

What's up with Henry leaving town?
    (Is John Wesley Shipp booked for another gig?)

I did love Cisco's reaction to Stein's "Atom Smasher".

And Jay Garrick!

My inner fanboy went "Squeee".

2. Oct 7, 2015 #2 of 57
    Lori

Lori Social Defective

Feb 20, 2000
    Bowie, MD USA
    I want more Tom Cavanagh.

Not sure how they will pull that off, but there it is. :)

3. Oct 7, 2015 #3 of 57
    bobcarn

bobcarn Birthday Hug Monkey TCF Club

Nov 18, 2001
    Trenton,...
    I think it just makes things easier, and likely lessens the production costs. He was never a full-time character, and being in prison meant it was easy writing him into an occasional episode. Now that he's out of prison, if he lived near/with Barry, they'd have to write him into most stories. And unlike the other characters, the only role he'd have on the show would be "Barry's dad". When he was leaving the prison, I somewhat expected them to remove him in some way so it would explain why he isn't a regular character.

4. Oct 7, 2015 #4 of 57
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Yeah, the moment he showed up at the gate, I figured he was a goner...nice that they found a less permanent way of getting rid of him!

5. Oct 7, 2015 #5 of 57
    TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD

Advertisements

And yet soap operas manage to have characters no one sees for months who are in town. No reason he had to leave to not get screen time. I think it was more symbolic that the old tv flash was passing the baton to the new. Bracket it with the appearance of Jay Garrick.

6. Oct 7, 2015 #6 of 57
    allan

allan Just someone TCF Club

Oct 13, 2002
    Isn't Atom Smasher from Earth-2? That would explain his comment about Zoom sending him home.

I was spoiled about Jay Garrick. They were advertising this ep after another show, and I heard Jay's name just as its recording cut off and I was saying, "What, WHAT?".

This already looks like it will be a heck of a season! :)

7. Oct 7, 2015 #7 of 57
    TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    more is coming if you look at IMDb casting

8. Oct 7, 2015 #8 of 57
    dtle

dtle Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2001
    DFW
    Here are some possible spoilers (guesses made from fans):

There's a new African-American character that will merge with the Prof. There's precedence like this in the comics.

Dr. Harrison will be the real one, and he will be from the alternative world.

9. Oct 7, 2015 #9 of 57
    bobcarn

Nov 18, 2001
    Trenton,...
    Nobody said he wouldn't get screen time. I wouldn't be surprised if he made appearances here and there. It's not like the Flash can't visit him quickly enough. His character leaving just places enough distance so that they don't have to worry about writing around him.

10. bobcarn

Nov 18, 2001
    Trenton,...
    We should be careful about what's tagged for spoilers. Talking about what happened in the show is OK. Speculating about what happens in the future based on what happened in the show is OK. But talking openly about Zoom? That information hasn't been introduced yet.

I don't know how I feel about Zoom being introduced so quickly. We just wrapped up Reverse Flash and Zoom is pretty similar, at least on a superficial level. Having another season-long plot based on an evil speedster in almost the same costume could seem repetitive.

11. allan

allan Just someone TCF Club

Oct 13, 2002
    Good point. All that the show has said is his name, and the way Atom Smasher said his name sounds ominous.

Regarding your spoiler:

I'm not current with the comics, but isn't Zoom the Reverse Flash?

12. Philosofy

Philosofy Super Duper Member

Feb 21, 2000
    Valparaiso,...
    Was it ever explained how Atom Smasher was a dead guy in the morgue?

13. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Nope.

Presumably, Zoom and Earth 2 will factor into it...

14. vertigo235

vertigo235 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    Doesn't that also explain why Garrick is there as well as why the dead guy looked like the Atom Smasher (dead guy is from our universe and this Atom Smasher is from Earth 2)

15. vertigo235

vertigo235 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    I'm guessing dead guy is the Albert Rothstein from this universe and Atom Smasher is Albert Rothstein from Earth 2.

16. bobcarn

Nov 18, 2001
    Trenton,...
    Yes. I'm not well-versed with him though. I could have sworn there was a separate Professor Zoom that was different from Eobard, but apparently Zoom/Reverse Flash is the same. I'm not sure how they'll explain him in this series. I'd prefer they didn't make another story arc so soon with the Reverse Flash/Zoom again since they just completed one. Since they're introducing a multiverse, maybe he's the RF from a parallel world? That's kind of odd since Jay Garrick's universe didn't have one that I knew of, so I'm not sure how he ties in with Garrick.

17. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    But of course they didn't have to get him out of prison in the first place.

18. Philosofy

Philosofy Super Duper Member

Feb 21, 2000
    Valparaiso,...
    I would think Barry wold feel guilty for ignoring the lawyer for months when he had the means to free his dad all along.

19. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    There is.
    Eobard Thawne
    was the Reverse Flash, also called in the comics "Professor Zoom" (I think he once actually used the alias "Adrian Zoom")

After Barry was gone in the Crisis and Wally assumed the mantle of the Flash, a criminal profiler named Hunter Zolomon began working with Wally and was crippled during a break out at Iron Heights.

He tried to use the Cosmic Treadmill to go back in time to prevent his crippling but it exploded instead, giving him the ability to alter the speed in which he moved through time.

Zolomon adapted Thawne's costume and called himself "Zoom".

Jay Garrick also had his own Reverse Flash called "The Rival"
    He was Dr. Edward Clarris, a professor at the university that Jay attended and had his "hard water" accident.

He recreated Jay's powers on his own and adopted a darker version of Jay's costume.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse-Flash

20. Azlen

Azlen Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    This gets into the whole comic book spoiler discussion again but doesn't the line "My name is Jay Garrick" only really carry any weight as an end of episode cliffhanger if you know who he is?